Sign in to follow this  
VirtualCyber

Niacinamide Riboside

For those over 50, very interesting result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWcreiNwlPo

So, to reverse the effects of aging, Dr. Guarente is recommending the use of what is known as niacinamide riboside.

It is expensive, so I have been using a cheap man's version, which is just simply "niacinamide". In the past, it has been used to teat alzheimer's and arthritis.

I have started taking niacinamide, and it seems to promote healing, recovery, and increase in body temperature. I am also seeing redistribution of my body fat. Prior to niacinamide administration, I have been decreasing my exercise volume, due to weakened recovery ability.

I have had my mom take it (she suffers from dementia) - it is clearly having a positive effect. My mother in law is also taking it - it is reducing swelling in her joints, regarding her arthritis. 

I have not tried niacinamide riboside, which is supposed to have a profound effect for "age reversal."  

I've always been on the fence about niacin. On one hand, it has beneficial properties like lowering cholesterol. On the other, while it's active, it prevents triglycerides from being burned.

I never know what to do with the stuff. :)

Great to see you here VC. Did you have problems getting in?

I have a bottle of this stuff. IIRC I was using it to help with anxiety. It worked but it also gave me a headache.

Good to see you VC.

I've been intrigued by this stuff lately after some recent positive studies on NADH on measures of fatigue. I'm still skeptical of most of the online hype around it, though.

The various formulations are all still crazy expensive.

HI Kimbo GaWd and everyone - good to see you guys again.  

It appears that people have different user IDs now, STENDEC and Construct - I don't recognize the user ID's.  What usernames did you use at Mind & Muscle?

I will gradually settle in and participate more.  

---------

BTW, I really recommend you niacinamide for older members here.  I really think it is one of the most interesting supplements.  The only annoying issue with its administration. My feeling is that one has to take it at least 3 times a day. I have been taking it for 3 months. Unlike most supps, there has been no reduction of its effect, nor side effects.

Isn't this what a bunch of us tried about a year ago and it gave us all killer headaches?

I wouldn't say killer, but yeah, it does give me headaches.

I also have a literal shitton of niacinamide I bought when I was making skin creams. tempted to throw 1g ED with the morning Yogurt.

headaches you say? maybe too much tonus?I know that alcar/pure lecitin can give me head for the same reason - too much muscle tension

Since I visited, there have been more information about niacinamide. I am still with it - it works as advertised - I am still giving rave reviews.

You guys mentioned headaches - I finally figured out why. Without getting into details, taking niacinamide lowers blood sugar level. There are a couple of ways to counter that. (1) eat sugar; (2) just get acclimated.

I tried time-release version, but I think the regular version is superior. You get slightly different results from the time release version (e.g., regarding skin softness and decreased nail growth). 

I am on 500 mg 3x daily. I have tried more or less, but I think it does the trick.

There is an age factor here, though. Older you are, more effective its is. If you are in 20's, you probably won't see much. If you are in 50's - you probably will.

What, exactly, are you seeing happen?

(1) Leaning out without losing strength. Went from 187 to 175 without losing strength. It is a true partitioning agent

(2) Improved skin! (which was weird for me to see, since I didn't expect it)

(3) Hair stopped growing or slowed growing in odd places, e.g., ear canal, nose hair, etc. (uncontrolled growh started happening a few years ago - now no more)

(4) softer, nicer hair (on my head, of course!)

(5) Slow down of nail growth

(6) increase in body temperature

It is also very benign (once the body adjusts for low blood-sugar induced headaches)

You had me at stops ear hair growth!

Have you noticed any change in your skin pigmentation? How about joint function?

As noted above, I had been giving it to an arthritic dog I had at the time based on some research from the 1990s that was, in turn based on the work of a guy named Kaufman from the 1940s.

http://www.doctoryourself.com/kaufman.html

You had me at stops ear hair growth!

Have you noticed any change in your skin pigmentation? How about joint function?

As noted above, I had been giving it to an arthritic dog I had at the time based on some research from the 1990s that was, in turn based on the work of a guy named Kaufman from the 1940s.

http://www.doctoryourself.com/kaufman.html

lol, Ear hair growth - I didn't realize that actually was a problem until it stopped.

Nothing I noticed about skin pigmentation.

As for joints, recently they feel pretty good.

I know that niacinamide can help, but it may not be enough, for a few reasons: (1) I think there is age related decline in joint/ligament tissues doe to glycine deficiency (which occurs slowly over time); (2) dysfunction in calcium processing (imbalance in magnesium, vitamin D3, vitamin K, and calcium). 

I have been on niacin for a few months. I have noticed *much* less anxiety/panic. OTOH, I have also noticed a large increase in fat mass during this time. They are not necessarily connected.

I think niacin and niacinamide work as anti-aging for the same fundamental reasons: they both raise NAD in mitochondria of your cells. However, I think niacin works through a different chemical pathway than niacinamide, and involve different enzymes. Hence, the effects are little different. 

Try niacinamide some time, when you get a chance. If you are using niacin to lower your cholesterol, of course, I am not sure if you can substitute that with niacinamide. 

Niacinamide will help you lost fat while preserving lean tissue mass.

What is the dosing and time period to notice a difference? I met with ChromaDex a while back, but unfortunately no longer have any of their documents or clinical trial info. The only notes I have was that the dosing was 125-500 mg BID. Usually I would make a comment on what the actual clinically studied dose was and the time for effectiveness, but I must have done that on a sell sheet that I tossed.

I think niacin and niacinamide work as anti-aging for the same fundamental reasons: they both raise NAD in mitochondria of your cells. However, I think niacin works through a different chemical pathway than niacinamide, and involve different enzymes. Hence, the effects are little different. 

Try niacinamide some time, when you get a chance. If you are using niacin to lower your cholesterol, of course, I am not sure if you can substitute that with niacinamide. 

Niacinamide will help you lost fat while preserving lean tissue mass.

I guess I should have been clear. I think I'm using niacinamide (flushless niacin, right?)