Burton

Liftin' weights and other shit

New log for reasons and such.  

Bench today.  Had to go it alone as almost every one of my partners were at a meet and the others predictably didn't show up because of that.  So I went with floor press since it's a lift I don't tend to struggle with and I can keep it light-ish but still get some benefit since my tris are feeling weak as hell.

1.  Floor Press

• 5x135
  • 5x185
  • 5x225
  • 3x255
  • 3x235x5 sets, done pretty quickly, about 5 minutes for the 5 sets

Here's videos of my sets for future reference.  If there was anyone else there, I would have probably went with doubles at either 295 or 315 but I didn't wanna pin myself to the floor when by myself.  Didn't get great explosion out of the bottom either.  Shoulder was hurting a bit as well.  Probably should have stretched a bit but I'm lazy with that so yeah.  Basically, I was a mess today.  Hence why I dialed it back 20 lb for my working sets instead of going full retard and plowing through anyway.

185:

225:

255:

2.  Tricep Pushdown-Rope

• 10x130x3 sets

3.  T-Bar Row

• 8x70x3 sets

4.  Landmine Shoulder Press

• 10x45
  • 10x90
  • 10x135

5.  Lat Pulldown-Neutral grip ladder bar

• 8x100-Outer Grip
  • 8x100-Middle grip
  • 8x100-Inner Grip

Squats at the gym early due to wanting to watch Monday Night Football so I was by myself.

Notes.

1.  Haven't squatted for 2 weeks so my hips were wrecked.

2.  Everything felt real bad.

So with that said, here we go.

1.  Squats-With buffalo bar

• 5x65x3 sets
  • 5x155x3 sets
  • 3x205x2 sets
  • 2x245x3 sets

Nothing worked at this point so I called it quits.

2.  Anderson squats to try to get my shit right

• 5x135x2 sets
  • 3x135 + red bands (doubled)x 4 sets
  • 2x185 + bandsx 5 sets
  • 5x135 (no band)

3.  Leg Extensions

• 10x85x3 sets

4.  Leg Curls

• 12x110x3 sets

My legs are killing me already so tomorrow is going to be a nightmare.  Anderson squats felt great though.  Good work to keep my upper back tight.

Bench Press Off day from last night

1.  DB Press

• 10x40s
  • 10x50s
  • 10x60s
  • 10x70s
  • 10x80s
  • 8x90s

As you can see, a trend.  I went with as many sets up by 10 lb as I could until I couldn't hit 10 reps.  I was hoping to work up to 110 but I didn't so I failed in that regard.  But still 90s for 8 isn't something I'm embarrassed of because this was mostly done without leg and hip drive due to being unable to get my feet under me.  Gotta love those DOMS problems.

2.  Hammer curls with the tri-trap bar

• 10x75x3 sets

3.  Pulldowns with narrow v-handle

• 10x120
  • 10x110
  • 10x100
  • 10x90
  • 10x80

4.  Pec Dec rear delts

• 10x50x3 sets

Good workout.  Legs are still killing me and as expected, worse today.  Upper body feels great though.

Hey friends,

Did some deadlifting.  As I'm still sore from legs, I took it pretty easy tonight

1.  Deadlifts

• 5x135x2 sets
  • 5x225x2 sets
  • 3x275x2 sets
  • 2x315x2 sets
  • 2x365x2 sets
  • 1x405x3 sets

2.  Good Mornings-Spyder Bar

• 5x260x5 sets
  • 5x170x3 sets

170 done without belt, slow descent, pause at bottom, etc.

3.  T-Bar Rows-Light weight, stretch at bottom, etc

• 5x90x5 sets

4.  Reverse Hyper

• 8x140x3 sets

Good workout.  Deadlifts felt surprisingly strong and quick in spite of being off for the time I was

Bench day today

1.  Straight bar

• 8x135
  • 8x135
  • 8x185
  • 5x185
  • 3x225
  • 3x245
  • 1x275 (too much)
  • 2x265x5 sets

2.  Lat Pulldown-Wide, chinup grip

• 8x120
  • 8x140
  • 8x190

3.  Tricep Pushdown

• 10x150
  • 10x150
  • 10x150
  • 10x120
  • 10x120

Finished

Good news first:  Weight this morning was 320.4 lb.  Keeps moving downward so that's fucking great.

So, I'm done with my lifting group.  Today was the last straw.  One guy was there 10 minutes late, one more guy showed up an hour late.  And that was it.  I was alone Tuesday for speed bench.  I was alone Thursday for deadlifts.  Why the fuck would I continue to bother with them?  They don't show up and honestly that's better than when they do show up.

When they do show up, here's what happens:

They bring their girlfriends, only one of which is serious (400-500 lb geared squat, 250 geared bench, etc) so it means a lot of bullshit like taking 400 pounds off the squat bar and putting 25s on.  And dealing with interpersonal shit so it's 5-7 minutes between lifters sometimes when there's fucking 8 people there.  I've "squatted" for almost 2 hours before to get in 5 actual working sets.

On multiple occasions I've had to add hundreds of pounds to each side of the bar with no fucking help.  

They almost always show up late.  At least 30 minutes, but sometimes 45 to 60.  Those days are particularly rage inducing when they wanted to do something else and they demand that whoever is there switch out bars on the squat rack/bench etc in the middle of their workout.  Fuck that.

I often times have to yell at someone to even run the fucking monolift on squat days or get a bench spot because they're dealing with significant other drama or some other bullshit.

Frequently, they'll bring their kids which on multiple occasions has led to one of them getting hit with a barbell or a plate or something and the 15 minutes that comes with that and the irritating screaming that comes with it.

And what makes it the worst?

I've stopped making progress.  My bench was around 290 in April,  it should be between 320 and 340 by now but I'd struggle to get 275 in a competition with a pause.  Squat should be around 450 by now and I'd be lucky to get a white lighted 385 at the moment. Deadlift should be over 500, possibly moving toward mid 500s and now I'd be thrilled with 455.  It was near 440 in April.

I've stopped making progress because I train alone a lot of the time and when I do train with them, there's no cues or training or anything.  There's barely encouragement.  They're playing on their phones or trying to hit on the couple of semi attractive women that show up, literally in front of their girlfriends.  It's enough to make me sick to my stomach.

So I'm gonna start lifting with two of the guys who used to lift with this group but also got tired of all the bullshit.  I talked to them today and am gonna start Monday.  They take something like an hour to 75 minutes to do speed days, a couple of hours for max effort days and that includes time to actually do shit like conditioning work and proper warmup.  I've started getting up at 545 for work again and I can't get to the gym on squat day at 615 and then wait for them to all finally show up by 715, wait for them to stop fucking around for 20 minutes, then take 2 and a half hours to only do squats at which point I then need to spend another 45 minutes on my accessory work, getting me out of the gym in just under 5 hours only to come home, shower, make dinner and get into bed by 1 AM so i can get up in 4 and a half hours.

Plus, Ray and John have their programming broken into 3 week blocks instead of just showing up and doing whatever the people who are actually there feel like doing.  That shit isn't conductive to making progress.  You need to have some kind of logic to it instead of winging it every fucking workout.  Especially since not everyone may not be feeling the same shit but you just end up doing whatever the most vocal person says.

Sorry for the rant, this shit is just pissing me off and I'm a lot tired of it.

You're going to dip under three bills here pretty quick at this rate.

How long has it been since you were <300lbs?

Honestly, probably about 5 years, if not longer.  I had a period for a while where I was pretty stable in the 320 area but the last I can remember being a "good" weight for me, around 250 was in 2008.  

So it was probably somewhere around 2010?  I went through depression and stopped being as active as I had been starting in late '08 and started playing more video games and emotional eating so that's a guess on my part.

Edit:  I remember starting at Scotts in March 2010 weighing around 310 so it'd probably have been the winter before that.

Great news on the weight. 

The lifting group...well, I noticed when you stopped making progress, and started complaining about the crew. 60-75 minutes sounds about right for the primary movement on a speed day, so it sounds like they know what they're doing.

Great news on the weight.

The lifting group...well, I noticed when you stopped making progress, and started complaining about the crew. 60-75 minutes sounds about right for the primary movement on a speed day, so it sounds like they know what they're doing.

Yeah, it's one of those things that's been building for a while. Today was just the final straw. Plus we have a new group of 6 guys that started up this week and seeing them all giving a shit, helping/coaching each other and being focused really drove it all home for me.

Final nail and all that stuff.

Good job on the weight loss.

What gym are you lifting in these days? Still in Ohio?

Also, were you aware that Pepe the Frog is a white supremacist? FeelsBadMan

Holy shit, I thought you were dead. Well, maybe not dead but you know, dead in the internet kinda way.

Not sure how long you've been gone, still in Ohio lifting in a dingy shithole PL gym. Gym partners are making me feel murder-y. The usual shit. Or should I say they were making me feel that way. No more starting today.

And the Pepe thing is awesome/stupid. Did you see the guy whose fake Twitter account caused madness?

And really if the alt right was gonna take a meme as a symbol of their existence/movement, it's obviously the insanity wolf.

Holy shit, I thought you were dead. Well, maybe not dead but you know, dead in the internet kinda way.

Not sure how long you've been gone, still in Ohio lifting in a dingy shithole PL gym. Gym partners are making me feel murder-y. The usual shit. Or should I say they were making me feel that way. No more starting today.

And the Pepe thing is awesome/stupid. Did you see the guy whose fake Twitter account caused madness?

And really if the alt right was gonna take a meme as a symbol of their existence/movement, it's obviously the insanity wolf.

You mean the self-ascribed PROMINENT white supremacist, bad memer, and "PARODY ACCOUNT?" Good times. But also bad, dark times.

And yeah, I was virtually dead across various mediums. But it's time to come back.  

THe alt-right can go fuck themselves.

I have a strange relationship with/feelings about the alt-right.

I actually am subscribed to a handful of people on YouTube who would possibly be considered alt-right.  Although I don't know where the line is.  There's too many distinctions anymore.  I know a lot of people who are referred to as alt-right will call themselves cultural libertarians.  And there's some cultural libertarians who seem to be nowhere near the alt-right so it gets blurry.  And some of them even call themselves "classical liberals".

My main frustration with them is that a small handful of the shit they say makes sense to me.  But the majority of it is nonsense, frequently with a strong undercurrent of implied racism.  Or in some cases, explicit and flagrant racism.

Regardless, I listen to them because I find the perspective interesting and I've been trying to be better at hearing opinions outside of my own for the sake of making better sense of my own beliefs and honestly it's been good for me.  It's helped me be stronger in the things I do believe while one a few occasions helping me actually see some of the ridiculous shit the very far left does.

And for what it's worth the people like this I listen to mostly are Dave Rubin and Sargon of Akkad.  Dave Rubin because I think he's like me in that he's definitely a liberal who feels irritated and somewhat estranged by the crazier shit on the far left.  Plus his interviews are generally interesting and actually cordial when there is differing of opinion.  And Sargon because I find him to be generally deplorable and think he's one of the ones who is driven by bigotry in most cases even though he covers it with a smattering of intellectualism.  But even with him, he does hit the nail on the head once in a while.  As long as you avoid his youtube feminist drama videos. of which there are way too many for me to be able to take him terribly seriously.

I will also watch and/or listen to Ben Shapiro.  Because while I don't agree with almost anything he says, I find his perspective on things to be interesting and in most cases, a good look into how people who are deeply conservative view the world and approach modern issues.

Sorry, the alt-right can go fuck themselves. Period. Their implied racism is worse than the overt racism shown by most died-in-the-wool racists that have crawled out of the woodwork in the last 13 months. Seriously fuck the alt-righters who have turned their flag-waiving, patriotic, be-racist-and-shoot-guns-to-sell-products into a brand (these are the kinds of guys I'm thinking of: 

there are lots more examples, but Tim sent me this video a few weeks ago and it stuck with me). I wish I could be so glib as to see it as a mind-expanding exercise to watch and listen to alt-right (or near-alt-righters) and consider my own feelings, but I just see these types as the ultimate threat to me, my family, my country, etc.

You mean the self-ascribed PROMINENT white supremacist, bad memer, and "PARODY ACCOUNT?" Good times. But also bad, dark times.

And yeah, I was virtually dead across various mediums. But it's time to come back.

Holy shit! Hey dude!

Sorry, the alt-right can go fuck themselves. Period. Their implied racism is worse than the overt racism shown by most died-in-the-wool racists that have crawled out of the woodwork in the last 13 months. Seriously fuck the alt-righters who have turned their flag-waiving, patriotic, be-racist-and-shoot-guns-to-sell-products into a brand (these are the kinds of guys I'm thinking of: 

there are lots more examples, but Tim sent me this video a few weeks ago and it stuck with me). I wish I could be so glib as to see it as a mind-expanding exercise to watch and listen to alt-right (or near-alt-righters) and consider my own feelings, but I just see these types as the ultimate threat to me, my family, my country, etc.

Come on man, don't be ridiculous, which I hope is what you're doing.  If you're not, I hate to say it but you're part of the problem.  You can't take the extreme parts of any group and declare that's indicative of literally every member. It's like when someone on the left says all police officers are blood thirsty racists out to murder as many young black men as they can find.  Same way that it's not right for the right to say that all single black mothers are welfare queens and all black youth are thugs because that's true of a segment of those populations.

From what I've heard it described as, the alt right would be broadly broken up into 3 groups.  Something along the lines of intellectuals, normal conservatives that stray from the mainstream, beltway accepted neo-con identity and the fucking 1488ers. That last group is the one you're talking about and they can go get fucked with a dildo covered in broken glass.  Those are the right's equivalent of the kind of people who honestly propagate shit like #KillAllMen and the more supremacist leaning parts of BLM.  Those are the best examples of that sorta thing I can think of on the left at the moment.  The right is more unpleasant but the mindstate is the same.

I'm talking about the intellectuals.  Names like HL Mencken, Spengler, de Benoist, etc.  And quite frankly, if you think them and others like them can't contribute anything of value to the conversation, you're way too dogmatic and have lost the point.  That'd be as stupid as someone on the right saying that Keynes, Krugman and Palast have no valid views on anything.

That's what I mean when I say I'm willing to listen to perspectives from alt right type thinkers.  Not that I watch white supremacist youtube videos and say "you know, maybe we really should kill the blacks until the streets run red with their blood".  Those people are a waste of time.

So aside from Sam and my spat, here's my workout from tonight with the new partners.

Max Effort bench

1.  4 Board Press vs. chains

Gotta work that tricep strength.  It works for me since even with a 4 board, I'm looking at about 4 to 6 inches of ROM.  Worked up to a max 3-5 rep and then did sets with that.  I think it was my second set I only got 2 because my wrist wrap popped open about 2/3 of the way up.  Didn't wanna push the third rep.

Working Sets:

• 3x225x5 sets

Chain Weight: 60 lb/side

2.  Incline bench-Swinging cambered bar

It's a hard bar to explain.  It's got essentially hinged collars that are ~15 inches below the depth of the barbell.  So it's fucking terrible and forces the lats into activation to keep the bar under control

• 8x135x3 sets

3.  KB Skullcrushers

• 8x35 lbx5 sets

4.  Face Pulls

• 10x120
  • 10x130
  • 10x140

5.  Core: Standing Band crunches-doubled around post in squat rack.

• Bands:  EFTS Red and Orange.  A lot of tension
  • 3 sets of 10

The best news:  We both got there at around 620, started lifting by 635 and finished up at ~750 and I left by 5 after 8.  So this is gonna be fucking awesome.  Everyone else started squatting at around 7 and still had a few working sets to do by the time I left.

Totally serious, and I'm not part of the problem. 

So there.

I've lost all patience for the alt-right, intellectual or not. In fact, the intellectual part of the alt-right-again-might be some of the more sickly of the bunch; as they have convinced themselves that it's more than just racism or xenophobia. People like these jokers, whom I believe would fall into that intellectual class of the alt-right:

Just because I've seen enough of this shit in the last year to have met my quota for life, and have no patience for it doesn't make me a part of the problem. A more pragmatic look at things won't fix or break things and won't do anything good but legitimize their movement which is a total fucking mess.

Fuck them, and all that they stand for.

You wish to approach this as if they are a science experiment, and I just don't think I'm built that way.

So aside from Sam and my spat, here's my workout from tonight with the new partners.

The best news:  We both got there at around 620, started lifting by 635 and finished up at ~750 and I left by 5 after 8.  So this is gonna be fucking awesome.  Everyone else started squatting at around 7 and still had a few working sets to do by the time I left.

See, this is a good relationship. You work well with the guys, you're efficient, and hopefully you don't let your personal shit get in the way of getting it done.

My partner and I have a third wheel lately. He shows up 10-30 minutes after us, doesn't warm up enough, doesn't hit our 5thset as well as we do, makes excuses for why it happened (wrong music on my ipod, had to take a dump, didn't drink my pre-workout early enough, etc.), but we just soldier through our plan and get it done, and if we can help him along the way, we do. He doesn't have the dedication that we do, and that's clear to us, but we let him think he does, and eventually, when he falls off, it won't be a big deal to us. We'll just keep on keeping on.

Once again.  1488.  You're free to continue to post videos of racists but I'll just keep reminding you of that fact.

But in the end, this is irrelevant because you want to believe that anyone on the right is fundamentally evil and the left is a bastion of everything great and pure about humanity and it's potential.  Which is exactly everything wrong with this country at this point and if it continues at its current escalating pace, it'll be what tears this country apart.

Once again.  1488.  You're free to continue to post videos of racists but I'll just keep reminding you of that fact.

But in the end, this is irrelevant because you want to believe that anyone on the right is fundamentally evil and the left is a bastion of everything great and pure about humanity and it's potential.  Which is exactly everything wrong with this country at this point and if it continues at its current escalating pace, it'll be what tears this country apart.

I do not believe that anyone on the right is evil and the left is pure. I think that's factually not correct. I haven't been convinced of anybody on the right's ideals as of late, and I tend to disagree with them no matter what, but I have no need nor want to demonize them. In fact, I think the demonization of those who you disagree with to be 'exactly everything wrong with this country at this point'. The left is not a perfect place to be for sure, and since they are politicians, they are findamentally flawed human beings. All of them. They are all given to corruption. Every. Single. One.

I do believe that those on the right are pretty misguided, and they've not produced much of any policy that has been effective, creative, or not created from an ideology that tends to be xenophobic, white-centric, mysoginistic, or fundamentally flawed by their stated ideologies (at it's core, anti-woman, anti-gay, and anti-color), but that's not the same as evil*. I think their candidate for the presidency is as close to evil as one can get; given his many proclivities, and he is definitely the furthest thing from presidential. Which is not to say that the left has fielded a candidate that is pure or perfect...but she's definitely being held to a higher standard than her counterpart, for many an intellectual reason if you care. My recent activities in this arena have been to point out factual misrepresentatations by people, and I'm happy to leave it at that.

*- One could argue the same from the other perspective, as well-that the left has not produced effective (cost-effective would probably be the argument, creative, or legislation not produced without an ideology that was anti-white, "politically correct"(which I would argue is a non-descriptor at this time since to most it means "not being allowed to be a gigantic prick"), andti-cop, etc. I think both sides have failed in the last decade. Failed miserably. 

That's what I mean when I say I'm willing to listen to perspectives from alt right type thinkers.  Not that I watch white supremacist youtube videos and say "you know, maybe we really should kill the blacks until the streets run red with their blood".  Those people are a waste of time.

BTW, I totally respect your right to listen to everybody out there and judge not ye for it. I openly admit to being relatively close-minded, because their ideals are just so freaking far from my ideals-literally a 180-and well, my pursuits are to be honest much less intellectual than yours. I think it's great that you do this soul-searching and academics stuff and I just am not like that.

Fair enough.  I've just grown tired of the massive failures on the left.  And all the culture war shit of the far left has made the party look like a bunch of children.  Which in my opinion is one facet of Trump's popularity and the rise of "anti-PC" bullshit.

That said, I think all of that combined has made me drift toward the middle and when you are disillusioned with your party, it makes sense to look elsewhere for some ideas that actually make sense to you.  And a few of the people on the right make sense a little bit of the time.  Which isn't exactly a glowing endorsement but it's something other than being pissed off at how stupid and weak the left has been for well, as long as I can remember.  And granted, the actual party that is in Washington is a pile of turds but I don't see any reason to not look at what is out there and try to not discount any of it off hand.