Burton

Liftin' weights and other shit

I'm hoping I'm not developing issues with whey.  Never had issues before so I'm hoping not.  I think the sudden increase in fiber is likely the culprit

3 minutes ago, Burton said:

I'm hoping I'm not developing issues with whey.  Never had issues before so I'm hoping not.  I think the sudden increase in fiber is likely the culprit

Best bet, honestly. Dairy reactions are usually much, much worse than just brown water. More like gassy, swelling, frothing shits of fire.

My back still hurts like the sad old man I am.

I am unsure if I fucked it up in the gym or doing laundry.  I did my deadlift workout and felt pretty good afterward 2 weeks back.  I was doing laundry and bent over to pick up a full laundry basket.  It hurt that night and hurt like hell the next morning.  Logic would dictate that I pulled my fucking lower back muscle picking up a 12-pound laundry basket.  What the fuck kind of sad joke is getting old anyway?

I'm tired of all of this old man bullshit.

So, IF is going interestingly.  So, my body weight is fatass.  More, specifically ~335-340.  

I'm doing daily weighing just to get an idea of calories in/calories out vs. effect on body weight.  The last few days have been:

342, 342.2, 341.8, 341.6, 339.4, 336.8, 335.6 and 342.2

I'm not freaking out because I know that's not how things work.  I just can't help but be amused by the gain of 6.6 pounds in one day after seeing a nice (if a little too fast) downward progression over the previous week.  I won't be shocked if I am something like 338 tomorrow morning.

It's likely due to drinking varying levels of water and riding bike.  I need to get better at the water thing.  Was a pretty solid effort at 120-140 oz/day and the past 3 days it's been maybe 20-40 oz, if that.  I have this nice 24 oz water bottle my coworkers got me when I left Scotts.  I may start carrying that around and making sure I drink 5 of them a day.

Just find it funny and felt like posting something in here.  Eating a lot is getting easier.  I just managed a huge bowl of cottage cheese with blueberries, about 20 oz of chicken breast and a half plate of veggies and don't wanna die.

Listen, we are not meant to be doing stupid stuff like laundry. We evolved to be in the gym. Full stop. You need to be more practical. Case in point: I nearly dislocated my shoulder taking my jacket off on a plane over Christmas.

50 minutes ago, Ras said:

Listen, we are not meant to be doing stupid stuff like laundry. We evolved to be in the gym. Full stop. You need to be more practical. Case in point: I nearly dislocated my shoulder taking my jacket off on a plane over Christmas.

I think I'm gonna start burning all my clothing in the front yard.

15 minutes ago, Sanction said:

Congratulations on the job. Tell us more, please please.

It's a decent opportunity.  It's with Smucker's as an analytical chemist in their coffee R&D group.  As of right now it's a contract job for 6 months but the reason why it's open in the first place is that the previous person had moved into another position within the company so it's not just a position they're filling to cope with a sudden surge in work, it's likely a job that will be replaced at some point, likely after this contract. 

The work is GC-MS work for the first 3 months, which is the weakest of my chromatography skills so I'll be happy to get some more work in that area.  It's rare for anyone in small moleucle analysis to be well rounded in both LC and GC.  Plus I have IC, ICP (magnets, right?), AA and FTIR/NIR experience so that puts me in a spot that not a lot of people can claim.  Anyway, after 3 months, one of the other people goes on maternity leave so then it will become a mix of GC-MS, LC and LC-MS/MS work.  Basically, that gives me 3 months to show that I know all of the shit they do and would be a good addition to their team.  It's definitely a job I can do and one I think I can do well at.

So I'm thinking if I get in there, do a good job, show that I know my shit, they'll maybe offer me a full-time position going forward.  It's certainly not a guarantee but my recruiter seems to think it's a job they're obviously gonna fill but might not be able to secure funding right now due to whatever idiosyncrasy may exist in their corporation re: budgets, hiring freezes, etc.  When I was at Scotts, R&D could literally only ever hire anyone in the first 8 months of the fiscal year.  After May of every year, that shit was shut down until October for some reason no one could ever explain to me.

If I can get hired on as a full-time employee, they're a great place to work, rated generally in the top 50 in the country, the campus/facilities are beautiful and I'll be getting back all the benefits I lost from Scotts: On site fitness center, catered lunches, time off for charity work, great insurance, good 401k match, etc.  If I can't get on full time, it's 6 months of steady income, and even a 10% pay bump over my last job, which was 10% above my previous job.  So in the end, I'll be making ~18% more money than I was 12 months ago.

I'm gonna worry about all that later down the line/what if stuff later.  I'll just go there, bust my ass and do as well as I'm able.  Hopefully, it turns out to be more.  If not, it's 6 months of good experience broadening my instrumentation skills and more importantly, my data analysis capabilities.  Finally, it's me getting back in the workforce in a good position, which has been priority #1 for me, for obvious reasons.

Only downside is that it's about a 90 min drive.  But luckily it's in the outskirts of Cleveland so I can find a house/room share for at worst, 500 bucks a month.  I'll take that during the weeks, come home on the weekends, hang with the girlfriend, go back Sunday night.  If it ends up being permanent, she can work remotely from home and go into the office once or twice a week for necessary meetings and such so she won't have to find a new job.  So that gives us the option to relocate.  Probably try to find something in the middle between here and there but there's a lot of decent places to live there, just gonna miss Columbus if I'm being honest.  There's just so much cool shit to do here.  That place is very much rural but with a ton of shit in a 30-45 minute radius.  I don't like the hassle of the drive to go do things but such is life I guess.

I don't mind a 90 min drive since it'll only be a couple of times a week.  I don't love leaving my house and staying in some random ass stranger's but it's a possible opening so I'll take it for what it is and do what I have to.

I just hate that Adrienne is really taking it hard.  She keeps telling me she wished I had gotten something here and keeps making me promise I'll keep looking in Columbus.  Even though she's being "supportive" at face value, her being supportive then within 2 minutes, following it up with a comment like that, it makes it hard for me to actually be excited about any of it.

I mean, I have been looking here for 6 months and haven't found shit.  Either stuff that pays literally half or less than half of what this job pays or things that I'm way underqualified for and maybe paying what this job pays.  It's really making the whole thing bittersweet.  It's not like I am super excited about leaving my life and living in a strange place with someone I don't know for 6 months.  I'm trying to remember that while I'm the one being uprooted and having to travel back and forth that she's still sacrificing stuff and I'm not the only one dealing with this change.

She's totally having to sacrifice and deal with change, but it's been a long road to get this role. You have to take it. You have to take it and give it a good effort, because once you fall down, you don't always get the opportunity to get back up again. 

Adrienne needs to man up some. Hopefully this gives her some time not to lean into you and give you shit, but to become a bit less co-dependent. It will be good for her in the long-run.

20 minutes ago, Emperor G_D said:

She's totally having to sacrifice and deal with change, but it's been a long road to get this role. You have to take it. You have to take it and give it a good effort, because once you fall down, you don't always get the opportunity to get back up again. 

Adrienne needs to man up some. Hopefully this gives her some time not to lean into you and give you shit, but to become a bit less co-dependent. It will be good for her in the long-run.

I think so.  I just wanna get to the point of the long run being right now.  Which I know isn't possible, just wish it was.

I am trying to get into Pfizer with an entry level chem job. I won't lie, I have no professional experience. Only college labs. I'm wondering and hope you can provide some insight as to how the professional lab scene is. Probably just a quality analysis lab, so I expect the focus is on following set procedures and providing results, and I expect to be highly monitored at an entry level job. But I am scared that since I haven't been in a lab for many years that I will walk in and grab an Erlenmeyer flask to measure out a standardized solution or something and look like a moron.

7 hours ago, mwarren said:

I am trying to get into Pfizer with an entry level chem job. I won't lie, I have no professional experience. Only college labs. I'm wondering and hope you can provide some insight as to how the professional lab scene is. Probably just a quality analysis lab, so I expect the focus is on following set procedures and providing results, and I expect to be highly monitored at an entry level job. But I am scared that since I haven't been in a lab for many years that I will walk in and grab an Erlenmeyer flask to measure out a standardized solution or something and look like a moron.

I'm off to look at a temporary housing situation and get my drug test done but I'll respond to this tonight.  The good news is that lab work is a lot simpler than you'd expect at the entry level.  The bad news in your specific case is that Pfizer can be hard to get into, and I've heard meh things about their work culture in some cases but I also was speaking to past employees so they may have had biased perspectives so I don't know for sure.

26 minutes ago, mwarren said:

Thank you. I have an old friend that works there and my aunt used to work there so that's my "in" I guess. 

Aunt huh 🤔

1 hour ago, Sanction said:

Better than trying to explain why he takes a six-pack of beer to visit that middle aged woman at 9:00 pm

That's not a bad insurance policy, however.

20 hours ago, mwarren said:

Basic yet useful (I hope) answer:

Very little in pharma isn't tightly regulated to the point of literally every step of every process being clearly defined in a lot of detail with strict penalties for not following them.  Especially for entry level and junior scientists.

For consumer safety and whatnot.

The only people who escape that handcuffing are senior scientists who do the writing and developing of those methods/protocols.

So what I would look for is something like a lab assistant type position.  As someone who has looked at Pfizer and similar companies, junior scientist positions are 3-10 years of experience with a bachelor's. With Scientist jobs being PhD with 0-3 years experience, MS degree plus 3-5 or BS with 10+ years experience.

Lab assistant jobs suck, to be frank.  Ordering supplies, stocking cabinets, doing brain dead shit none of the "real" scientists wanna do (one time I made our lab assistants liquefy about 100 stool samples a day in blenders for about 2 weeks straight).

But you get into a position where you can show them you work hard, show interest in both your position and the group you work in and you move forward.  The lab assistants at my first job would generally go through the following progression.  This is obviously for an analytical chemistry lab:

About a year: do basic shit every day and learn how a lab works from top to bottom

Anywhere from 1 to 3 years, depending on the person: we started teaching them what we do, why, the theory of it while at the same time having them do minor shit (mobile phase prep, sample pipetting, etc).  It they prove to be good at that, they would be promoted to associate chemist and that is the very lowest tier of chemist who would be full on mentored by a chemist/senior chemist/principal investigator.

For reference I started as chemist 1 and was about 4 Months from being chemist 3 so that took me 4 years or so.

For a person with no scientific experience, it would take them 7-9 years to get to where I would have started by virtue of my education.

2-3 years to escape lab assistant, 5-6 to get through associate chemist 1-3 to chemist.  Another 5-7 ish at chemist 1-3 if you ever had aspirations for senior chemist.

My understanding is that it's a similar progression at most companies with that sort of career path.  It's a hard climb but worth it in my opinion if you really wanna make it a career and it's something you care about/find interesting.

If you'd like more specific info as to what the job actually entails, I can give you info but that's kinda how the career would progress and the time tables you're looking at.  Just so you're fully aware of what you'd be signing onto.

And if you can swing something like a quality lab job, that is a slightly different trajectory but it'd leapfrog you a couple of spots.  Quality labs however have a lower career ceiling than a research lab.  You can make a switch to research from quality but depending on the company culture, it can be a hard move to make happen.

Hey guys,

I need some help from you all with rationalizing things.

So, as you may recall from some previous post that I have a contract job that starts next Monday that is a significant inconvenience for me.  Well, I got an email Thursday last week from a company in Columbus I applied to in like October/November.  At the time I had applied to some kind of entry-level/Chemist I type position because you know, out of work makes us reach a bit where we otherwise might not.  I got denied for it but one of their recruitment managers informed me that they have some more senior positions opening up and told me to send her a resume and apply to one of their Chemist 1 positions again (was the only one listed by HR at the time on their site) just to get my name back in their system.  It looks like they have a chemist 2, chemist 3 and a research scientist (senior chemist/chemist 4-5 type deal if you were to keep up the numbering system like some companies do).   I'm in the sweet spot between chemist 3 and research scientist as far as experience goes.  Maybe a little more toward research scientist but I'd feel more comfortable starting in chemist 2 or 3 (preferably 3) and working my way to research scientist as I become more familiar with this specific company.

Anyway, she contacts me on Friday asking to set up a skype interview for this week.  I got confirmation this morning of that happening Wednesday.  So that's a pretty damn quick turn around time on all that.

Moving on, I need some help rationalizing and shutting down my inner monologue.  I'm starting a job on Monday, I very well may have to make up a personal emergency within a week of starting so I can come back home for a job interview.  I'm hoping it goes well and if they want an onsite interview I can arrange it for Friday of this week so I don't have to find a reason to escape my new job and drive an hour and a half down here for an interview.

So here's my deal, I feel kinda bad about all of this.  I mean, I wasn't actively reaching out to this company so it's not like I was looking to break my agreement before it even started.  And you guys remember what Ice-T told us, my word is bond.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuutttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt.......................... it's a cold world and capitalism is ice cold.  This company who can't even be bothered to hire me as a real employee would expect what, loyalty from me?  Fuck them, right?  They would have no problem with throwing me out on the street for any reason at all, so what reason do I have to feel bad for anything that may transpire between me and this other company in Columbus?  I could get a permanent job and all that comes with it (benefits, etc) in my hometown, stay in my house, stay with my family, my pets, my life.

So with that in mind, why do I still feel guilt and not just happiness/excitement at the potential opening?  On more of a philosophical note, how can someone like me feel some kind of guilt for looking out for my best interests at the cost of a minor inconvenience for a corporate behemoth that views me as nothing more than raw meat for the grinder of the corporate profit machine?  I hate that living in this system has nurtured this pathology in me.  And so many other people, for that matter.

Anyway, make your arguments below.  I know I'm not in the wrong here but you know, it's tough sometimes when these situations arise.  It's a good problem to have I suppose.

Also, it should be noted that I told the recruiter during our first phone call "I will be continuing to look in the Columbus area for jobs and as soon as something acceptable presents itself, I will be leaving Smucker's.  I will give notice with a respectful time window to replace me but my loyalties lie to my family and not them due to their lack of desire to commit to me as a full-time employee."  I mean, I laid it all out there up front and they still moved forward with me so if anything, I told them I was in it for me and it's their fault if they get fucked.

Besides, I'm sure they can call up #2, #3, #4, or #whatever in the preference list and get one of them to take it.

1 hour ago, Burton said:

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuutttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt.......................... it's a cold world and [survival] is ice cold.  This company who can't even be bothered to hire me as a real employee would expect what, loyalty from me?  Fuck them, right?  They would have no problem with throwing me out on the street for any reason at all, so what reason do I have to feel bad for anything that may transpire between me and this other company in Columbus?  I could get a permanent job and all that comes with it (benefits, etc) in my hometown, stay in my house, stay with my family, my pets, my life.

This it. 

Remove the question marks and make them statements. 

FTR, I would have a hard time in the same situation, as well. I would feel like I gave my word to someone and I am somehow breaking it by quitting early. It's just that A- it's contract B- it's contract and C- well, you guessed it...

Between the contract and having to move into some shitty bedroom in someone else's house to work the contract gig, I would have no problem bailing on Smucker's.

So, cast off this guilt bullshit, and go into these interviews with a healthy amount of confidence. In the words of one of my good friends and mentors: Hump it into submission.