Mr.Kite

Mr.Kite is doing 5/3/1

So I finally reactivated my gym membership and have decided to do some bike HIIT on Tue/Thu, as well as some Saturdays depending on how I'm feeling. This is going to be paired with a low carb diet that we just decided to start. Currently I'm at ~190 lbs which is what I tend to gravitate towards if I allow myself to eat whatever I want.

The basic protocol I prefer is 6 sets of 30s work periods followed by 60s rest periods. What I generally do is just modulate the resistance and RPM in order to adjust the workout to hit the proper RPE. Yesterday was my first day back to I tried to take it relatively easy:

5 x 30/60 - 132 +/- 2 RPM @ 7 Res

1 x 30/60 - 142 +/- 2 RPM @ 7 Res

If I feel like my predetermined RPM range hasn't been strenuous enough, then during the final sprint period I'll go all out. Yesterday that meant hitting 140-145 RPM, which spiked my heart rate up to 186 or so and was exceedingly unpleasant.

5 x 30/60 - 135 +/- 2 RPM @ 7 Res

1 x 30/60 - 145 +/- 2 RPM @ 7 Res

Was way easier today. I was braced for a slog, but caffeine is one hell of a performance enhancing drug. Lately I've been trying to stick to just having one cup of coffee in the morning, but today I was sputtering at work at around 2pm so I had a cup of tea. That extra caffeine made a world of difference. The same workout was maybe 2/3s as hard. I know it was the caffeine that lowered the RPE because my heart rate was actually higher today. I hit 190 after the final sprint, as opposed to only 186 on Tue.

I tried to keep my hands on the heart rate sensors the whole time today and it was kinda eerie watching my heart rate continue to rise during the first 30 seconds of my 'rest' period. I know that heart rate is a rather delayed indicator of effort, but it was funny to me that my heart rate was allowed to fall only during the final 30 seconds of my rest period.

My legs, surprisingly, were not sore at all after the first session. My upper body, strangely enough, was all kinds of sore from anchoring my body while sprinting. We'll see if this pattern is repeated after this session.

So if your heart rate was elevated but you say RPE was lowered, what makes you think that? Was it that you felt you had more in the tank by the end of the session as compared to last time, or what? 

And that would seem to be a conditioning thing.

So if your heart rate was elevated but you say RPE was lowered, what makes you think that? Was it that you felt you had more in the tank by the end of the session as compared to last time, or what? 

When I do HIIT, if I push myself too hard, I get this overpowering nauseating fatigue where I literally have to lay down for 10-15 mins. I can't stand. I get a sort of tunnel vision. I can't even focus enough to carry on a real conversation. It's that strong. This kind of fatigue usually correlates with sustained 190+ HR during cardio.

After my last sprint on Tue I got a bit of that kind of fatigue, but not to the extent that comes from doing max effort sprints on each of the six reps. I only laid down for ~5 mins and probably could have walked home immediately if the building was burning down.

On Thu I didn't get that at all. I hit the same RPMs and felt like I could have done two more, easily. After I was done, I just got up and walked home. No rest needed. No nausea. No wobbliness.

What would be a conditioning thing?

Seems to me that RPE lowered, but HR same or higher would be conditioning effects...though I guess it could be psychological (that RPE felt lower when faced with the same or harder load).

Seems to me that RPE lowered, but HR same or higher would be conditioning effects...though I guess it could be psychological (that RPE felt lower when faced with the same or harder load).

Oh, ok. Yeah, I think that makes sense, that energy systems + strength may have increased, so performing at the same rate would be easier. I just wanted to be clear that's what you were referring to.

5 x 30/60 - 137 +/- 2 RPM @ 7 Res

1 x 30/60 - 152 +/- 2 RPM @ 7 Res

Heart rate hit 192 after the final sprint. Highest yet. Felt pretty alright through the whole thing. As usual, the first three were super easy, the fourth took some effort, the fifth was hard, and the last one was killer. It's funny how fast fatigue ramps up.

I must be benefiting from prior conditioning because it seems like I'm getting back up to speed faster than I would have expected. After all, I've only done two sessions so far and I'm already feeling a lot better doing HIIT.

Nice man.

When you do the HIIT, do you usually follow it up with any sets of floor flops?

Yeah that is exactly what I do. I just stagger to a corner and flop down there until I think I can walk. Today I only laid down for maybe 3-4 mins, which is pretty good.

Have you ever tried basing work/rest ratios off of heart rate?  I was thinking about giving that a try once I got some sort of heart rate monitor.

Have you ever tried basing work/rest ratios off of heart rate?  I was thinking about giving that a try once I got some sort of heart rate monitor.

If you get one of the high end ones, do any of them have some kind of feature where you can set it to give you some kind of warning once you hit a pre assigned heart rate? That'd be a nice feature for this sort of thing.

5 x 30/60 - 141 +/- 2 RPM @ 7 Res

1 x 30/60 - 149 +/- 2 RPM @ 7 Res

1 x 5 min floor flop

It was significantly harder through the first five hitting an average of ~141 during the sprints. Wanted to do 150+ during the last one, but my legs couldn't output any more power during the last 5-10 seconds and it fell off to ~147 by the end. Hit 190 peak HR after the final sprint. Was pretty tired, so I followed it up with a somewhat longer floor flop.

The work length couldn't really be set via HR because of the ~30 second time lag between increased output and increased HR. You could use it for rest periods, though, but unless you used stepped rest zones, you'd have to do a super long sprint during the first rep to get your HR high enough to 'earn' a rest period.

If you get one of the high end ones, do any of them have some kind of feature where you can set it to give you some kind of warning once you hit a pre assigned heart rate? That'd be a nice feature for this sort of thing.

I would think that many of the watches with heart rate monitors build in would have apps that can do this for you.

5 x 30/60 - 143 +/- 1 RPM @ 7 Res

1 x 30/60 - 150 +/- 2 RPM @ 7 Res

Ramped up the RPMs on the early sets today. Was much harder and didn't have much left in the tank for the final sprint. HR hit 190 after the final sprint. Skipped the floor flop today and tried to just pedal it out at 1 resistance until my HR got into the 150s.

Was planning to go yesterday, but we had a last minute dinner party to go to and I ended up being too short on time to make it to the gym. So I'll do my second session on Friday.