Mr.Kite

Mr.Kite is doing 5/3/1

5/3/1 Cycle 2 - Week 2 - Monday

Squats: 115x5 / 135x5 / 165x5 // 195x3 / 225x3 / 245x7 (3+)

Good Mornings: 5x10 @ 135 lbs

Leg Curls: 3x12 @ 55 lbs

Situps: 5x15 @ 25 lbs

Running: 5k @ 24:30 mins

I shamelessly skipped lifting Friday and didn't make it up. Oh well. Moving on to week two, things went a bit better today. Got 7 reps again for the AMRAP but at a heavier weight and shaved 30 seconds off my 5k time.

I think I'm ready to switch off of this template, though. So when I get back from my Christmas trip, I'll be going back to a full body template. Maybe just use the Krypteia template again, maybe something else.

5/3/1 Cycle 2 - Week 2 - Wednesday

Bench Press: 77.5x5 / 97.5x5 / 117.5x5 // 127.5x5 / 147.5x3 / 167.5x9 (5+)

DB Row: 5x10 @ 110 lbs

DB OHP: 5x10 @ 60

Tricep Pulldowns: 3x15 @ 25 lbs

Running: 2 miles @ 15:30 mins

I'm an idiot and accidentally did last week's workout again today. I didn't realize until I was done and was feeling pretty good about myself for 9 reps, just like last week, but at a higher weight. Then I checked and it was the same weight (and reps) as last week. Whoops. At least we know last week's workout wasn't a fluke? The one improvement was that I shaved a minute off my 2-mile time.

5/3/1 Cycle 2 - Week 3 - Monday

Squats: 115x5 / 135x5 / 165x5 // 205x5 / 235x3 / 265x5 (1+)

Good Mornings: 135x10 / 95x10 / 95x10

Leg Curls: 3x12 @ 65 lbs

Situps: 5x15 @ 25 lbs

I tweaked a muscle in my lower back on my first set of good mornings. I took it relatively easy after that but still wanted to finish my squats. I did it but didn't push. I did some lighter good mornings after to try and stretch my back out. It still hurts, but I'm pretty sure its just a muscle issue.

Well, it has been almost a month since I was last in the gym. I am going to start it up again tomorrow. We had a lot of fun on vacation in California eating foods that are either not very good in NYC (mexican) or are too expensive (sushi), so unsurprisingly I'm up ~7 lbs. I need to lose that asap while getting back to where I was last month strength-wise. I think I am going to do the krypteia assistance work again where I do normal 5/3/1 with assistance work for the other half of the body. This should make it easier to run every session.

Since it is official that we are moving back to Germany (I got another postdoc), I need to get myself in shape to start climbing again by April. So I am going to tailor my training towards that goal. This means that the most important thing for me is power to weight ratio and endurance. Those are my key performance indicators.

Do you think you could do anything not-running for your endurance? Something low impact? Maybe?

You take that running out and do rowing intervals or sled work and I guarantee a world of difference.

I can't row because of my reconstructed ankle. No sleds or weight vests or anything like that at my gym. No steep hills nearby for hill runs. My options are running on the treadmill, using the elliptical, or using the stair climber machine thingy. I generally prefer running because it is harder than the rest, so I get more work done in less time. I could go back to doing bike HIIT since it is even more efficient while being low impact, but I hate HIIT. If I don't push myself hard enough on HIIT, I don't see how it is any better than running. But if I do push myself to my limits, then the recovery period afterward is pure misery - nausea, lightheadedness, breathlessness, etc. resulting in my needing to lay on the floor for 5-10 mins.

Well, it's a strong belief of mine that running, especially non-sprinting work, is in fact the devil and should be avoided at all costs unless it is specifically what you're training for. If there is anything else you can do, at all, I am of the opinion that you should progress better in both strength and endurance. Running has such a high impact and recovery demand that it usually results in meager results, if any, in other endeavours.

I used to run 5k's. I did a lot of research because my lifting kept getting harder and harder to progress until it started getting weaker. I wasn't overtrained. I was only running twice per week. Still, my body was adapting to be a good runner more than lifter. When I stopped running and switched to rowing, boom. Huge progress. When I stopped the rowing, boom even more progress. But you need the endurance work. It is something a ton of us have experienced. It's up to you and your needs and I see you're restricted but I felt I would be doing you a disservice to not chime in. Even running just twice a week is 1000's more reps than what you do in the gym so just keep in mind that while you're running, you'll be a runner. 

13 hours ago, STENDEC said:

Any KB?

Surprisingly enough, yes. And they have those heavy ropes you can undulate or whatever crossfit people do. They have a little crossfit corner with that stuff, but no sleds.

DOIs or STFU.

😍

22 minutes ago, Emperor G_D said:

KBs and ropes will hurt you bad. 

Also, congrats on the post-doc and (semi)permanent move to Germany with your spouse. Hope you both enjoy living abroad together.

From the heim of Hölderlin to the welt of Wagner! That sounds amazing (although I know nothing about the University of Bayreuth, tbh).

Prep for Next Week's Cycle - Friday

Squats: 135x5 / 155x5 / 175x5 / 195x5 / 215x5 / 235x7

Bench: 135x5 / 145x5 / 155x5 / 165x5 / 175x5

DB Row: 5x8 @ 100 lbs

Did a brief full-body session yesterday in order to get the first set of soreness out of the way, which is always the worst after a long break. True to form, I am sore as shit today. Hopefully, this session will enable me to start my next micro cycle on Monday more or less back on track. I could tell, however, that I've lost a fair bit of strength. That 175x5 on the bench was a real struggle.

Here's my lifting program for the next 4 weeks: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ultm32IDJtZ2O_dtFYS0rhVqon3AX3XBQE9bw6DidzE/edit?usp=sharing

I definitely want to do some form of endurance training alongside it, but I'm still not sure what. I assume doing KB HIIT would actually get in the way of 531 and would be better used as a core part of its own circuit-style training program.

23 hours ago, STENDEC said:

There are a number of good HIIT routines that can be done with a KB

Agreed. It's just that HIIT, and ropes and kettlebells suck...they will leave you rolling around on the ground, in a puddle of vomit or sweat, or if @kimbo is around, semen.