STENDEC

One (New) Direction

So some of you may recall I was headed to a BB contest...as I got closer, I decided this wasn't really my thing so I bagged it. My training partner did come in second at the Jay Cutler Classic in Boston, however, so that was pretty cool.

Feeling a little directionless, I thought about getting back into strongman but there's not a lot of decent local competitions out there but I did discover that the Southern Powerlifting Federation is holding a state championship event in my home city next November and I've decided to give it a shot.

Apparently it's a first for New Hampshire as there are no current SPF state records but looking over records from other states for 100kg Masters II, I think I can probably at least not embarrass myself....

Of course, this means some changes. I've been DLing along but using a trap bar and frequently straps. I've also just started squatting again after about a seven year hiatus...and my bench press has come and gone but has never been my strong suit.

So this week I am going to get some baseline lifts in, clean with competition form. 

Today I pulled 425 on the DL, straight bar, conventional form, no straps, alternate grip without too much trouble.

Tomorrow I'll bench and Thursday squat and see where we are at. I suspect 315-25 and 425 but we'll see. I also purchased some Nordic lifting shoes and a belt...I've never seen anyone lift without a belt in competition so I suppose I should get used to wearing one.

Needless to say, I'll be leaning heavily on the knowledge, wisdom and brotelligence of my CS gang to help me along with this.

22 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

As much as we all wanted to see you in a banana hammock, this turn of events is much more exciting to me.

Do you mind saying why the BB contest didn't turn out to be your cup of tea?

Not at all. 

A couple of things...first, the timing turned out to be really bad. The contest was a day before I was supposed to leave for vacation with the family and it would have been a real crunch to pull it off. I was also not really pleased with my chest development....which is as good as it has ever been but still not great...certainly not BB good enough IMO.

But more globally, I decided that I didn't really want to get judged on something so subjective as aesthetics....If I was going to compete, I wanted it to be decided on something objective like how much or how high or how many times I could move a weight...

Okay. Those are big numbers but not absolutely out of the realm...well a 512lb bench is but some of the others might be approachable...

Edit: those are open records...probably young bucks.

2 hours ago, STENDEC said:

Okay. Those are big numbers but not absolutely out of the realm...well a 512lb bench is but some of the others might be approachable...

Edit: those are open records...probably young bucks.

Yeah, those are the opens. Look at MII...

Congrats and good luck on your new path. I share your aversion to bodybuilding as the thought of getting on stage and having a panel of judges validate or invalidate my hard work always seemed revolting to me. Although I never did do well with being judged in general.

powerlifting though, that's real. 

Chest

So my Tuesday workout partner had some sort of strange chest routine to follow today...

Pec Deck 3x12, Decline Smith Machine Bench 8x8, Reverse Band Flat Bench, 5x5, Standing Cable Flyes 3x12

18 hours ago, STENDEC said:

Chest

So my Tuesday workout partner had some sort of strange chest routine to follow today...

Pec Deck 3x12, Decline Smith Machine Bench 8x8, Reverse Band Flat Bench, 5x5, Standing Cable Flyes 3x12

Great BB routine

5 hours ago, ozzman said:

Great BB routine

I don't care if it's a dance routine if it gets my chest to grow....

AAA Wednesday

Scott Curls/Weighted Dips, Jesus Curls/Cable Pullovers, Incline Cable Curls/Single Arm Pulldowns,  Incline DB Curls, DB Behind Head Press, Machine Bis/Machine Tris

In other news, my new Nordic lifting shoes arrived today....which upon seeing on me, my son declared "nice old man shoes" :angry:

Hopefully they work better than they look.

Well, in addition to being hand made by Swedish elves, these fit well and seem well constructed and were about $40 less than Pendlays. We'll see how they hold up I guess.

On 5/15/2018 at 6:09 PM, STENDEC said:

Chest

If you keep lifting like this, the only record you're gonna achieve is for having the gayest chest workout.

2 hours ago, Emperor G_D said:

lol You know, not everything called "nordic" is good. 

I'm not going to sit here and watch you disparage the good name of NordicTrack.

Leg Day

Squats to 405x1, Bulgarians, Smith Machine Calf Raises, Aducter/Abducter/Curl/Extension Machines

If I can figure out how to post a video, I have one of my last squat set....not quite as deep as it needs to be but not too shabby considering this is my third set of squats in about a decade. Sam has provided some helpful feedback on how to improve.

Shoulder Shortie

Standing MP, KB Front/Lateral Raises, Reverse Pec Deck, External Cable Rotations, Machine Shrugs, Machine OHP

Once again, silly things like work got in the way of my lifting...sheesh

Played around with my squat form today some....widened my stance and bit and pointed my toes out just a little and that seemed to really help getting all the way down in the hole.

I also lowered my bar position a little...I was really sitting it up on top of my traps rather than supporting it all the way across my shoulder. This was quite a bit more comfortable.

As easy as you made that first rep of 405 look I would have guessed you had a couple more reps in you.

Also, I thought you said you were going to start using a belt...

12 hours ago, STENDEC said:

Played around with my squat form today some....widened my stance and bit and pointed my toes out just a little and that seemed to really help getting all the way down in the hole.

I also lowered my bar position a little...I was really sitting it up on top of my traps rather than supporting it all the way across my shoulder. This was quite a bit more comfortable.

"Open the taint." -Ed Coan

5 hours ago, ((Vibe)) said:

As easy as you made that first rep of 405 look I would have guessed you had a couple more reps in you.

Also, I thought you said you were going to start using a belt...

Thanks.

I now have a belt....I don't like wearing it but I'll try to get used to it...

Back & Bis

Deads to 455x1, Scott Curls, DB Good Mornings w/ Curls, Jesus Curls, Incline DB Curls, Abs

Was pretty pleased with how 455 came up no straps....suspect I'll get to 475x1 without too much difficulty which means that 500 isn't impossibly far off.

My lifting partner is really enjoying sumo style...to the point that he claims it aligned something in his lower back/hips today making him feel structurally much more integrated...for lack of a better way to describe it.