mwarren

Resurrection of Blu

Good to be back. Lots of things have changed in my life. Lots of clean time, buying a house, and fixed a lot of musculoskeletal issues. However, I've had a lot of health issues recently. I'd been ignoring signs of dehydration and ended up in the hospital for that, and then a heat stroke. It took quite awhile for my body to feel better. I took a long hiatus from regular weightlifting. During my recovery from the health issues, I lost 35lbs. I got down to something like 158lbs. I've been very weak but started feeling good last week and started training again very lightly. Weight is coming back on quickly. I think I'll be 170 here in a few more days. 

So, I guess starting tomorrow I'll log what I'm doing everyday to get my strength back with plans of competing this winter. I want to compete at around 198. That way, I'll have some blubber to keep me warm in the winter. 

Oh, almost forgot to mention that I tore my right pec for the 2nd time maybe 6 months ago but it seems to be doing just fine now. You'll see that most of my training is mindful of past injuries and prehab/rehab. I want to be able to lift weights long term, into my 80s, so I have a very cautious and thoughtful approach. My previous shoulder tear, bulging disk, and teres minor tear are all "fixed," so to say. The only issue I'm currently having is with my right hip flexor having daggers during squatting, but Kim and I are working on it and it's actually not bad. 

I guess that's it for prerequisite knowledge. First training post tomorrow. 

Alright, you guys get to see my pathetic numbers. I feel really good doing this every day right now.

Mobility warmup 10min

Squat

45x5

95x5

135x5

OHP

45x5

65x5

85x5

Conventional DL

135x5 staying conservative on DL while I build my work capacity up wrt axial loading

Bench

45x5

65x5

95x5

115x5

Pullup

BWx4

Assisted Dip 

BW-70x10

Assisted Chinup

BW-70x10

Face Pull*

25x15+15

*I may as well claim this modification. I use a rope attachment at belly level, and first do front raises with a neutral grip all the way overhead. Very healthy movement. Then I go immediately to face pulls. So 15 reps of each. My shoulders have been great (externally rotating and scap depressing) since doing this. 

This session was at an RPE of 5, so don't worry about the volume being too much over the week if I do this every day. I'm not pushing anything. And when I do, of course fatigue management will take importance. 

The shoulder warmup I've been using seems to be keeping me healthy.

3 rounds of:

Banded dislocatesx15

Banded facepullx15

Banded pull-apartsx15

It sucks so bad, but I'm feeling very solid, health-wise. 

21 minutes ago, Emperor G_D said:

The shoulder warmup I've been using seems to be keeping me healthy.

3 rounds of:

Banded dislocatesx15

Banded facepullx15

Banded pull-apartsx15

It sucks so bad, but I'm feeling very solid, health-wise. 

I like that. I'm going to have to get those bands from Jamie. Mine got loaned out and lost but she doesn't like hers so I'll grab them tomorrow when we have lunch. 

This is a drill used in kung fu to help warmup up the shoulders. It is still probably the most effective shoulder warmup exercise I've ever found (for me). You can do them in the direction she's doing them in, or reversed.

Definitely do the squat one. The thoracic one is a nice adjunct. I can't vouch for the shoulder one since I haven't tried it.

Shoulder series
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2Zq9jYw4Sw5Mk45NxwYpChXP73pGYuyp

Thoracic Series
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2Zq9jYw4Sw6gC228oZ2IkFBrqZdVVWjZ

Squat Series
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2Zq9jYw4Sw4PUc4shgA6bV5llOdD-O2C

That's a gold mine. Thanks, Kim. 

Squat 

155x5

OHP

95x5

DL

155x5

Bench

125x5

Pullup

BWx2

BWx4

Didn't sleep well last night. I did mobility work quickly, but not up to par due to time constraints today. 

Worth mentioning, hip pain was fairly non-existent today. Brought my squat stance in a little and screwed my feet in as Kim suggested and it seemed to really do the trick. I'll keep working up in weight very slowly so that the form/technique sticks. 

Only had time to do half of my training before work. And equipment availability problems. Will finish later after my shift. 

Bench

45x5

65x5

95x5

115x3

135x5

Pullup

BWx4

BWx4

I want to slowly progress my pull-ups to 2 sets of 12 every day so that I can do sets of 20 when I back the frequency down. Or add weight. My joints are feeling great taking things super slow. I'm going to add a set to each movement Friday probably. Then another set Sunday. Then take away sets again and increase weight. I'll have a really good groove doing it this way with the RPE at 5 or 6 or whatever the fuck it is. 

Welcome back. Congrats on the new house.

You and I are sitting at similar bodyweights. It's going to be fun watching this log as you blow right past all of my hard-earned 1RMs in the next six months of your training. :lol:

What are you doing for diet? Anything special?

1 hour ago, Construct said:

Welcome back. Congrats on the new house.

You and I are sitting at similar bodyweights. It's going to be fun watching this log as you blow right past all of my hard-earned 1RMs in the next six months of your training. :lol:

What are you doing for diet? Anything special?

Diet is at least 100g protein and at least 3000kcal. I try to get as much in as possible right now since I'm rebounding so anything goes, but I try to have roughly 70% of my calories from carbs. Always feels best that way. And you're pumped all the time. 

Don't downplay your hard-earned numbers. It's all for shits anyways. 

The rest of my training... 

Squat

175x5

Deadlift

175x5

OHP

95x5

Assisted Dip

BW-62.5x10

Assisted Chinup

BW-62.5x10

Face Pull

25x25

Seated Leg Curl

70x12

Calf Raise

Getting to bed late. Not going to sleep much. Might take tomorrow off. 

Day 11

Definitely taking my first day off. Using PTO to take Jamie to the beach and get her a few beers from this local micro. Then, catching up on sleep. 

17 hours ago, mwarren said:

This is going to be weird for you guys since we started our relationships when I was between 16-19, but I am actually turning 31 this year. 

Wow....on the upside, probably too old for Kim now...