mwarren

Resurrection of Blu

43 minutes ago, Emperor G_D said:

ExSci is a great major if you plan on doing something with it, but chem might get you somewhere. 

I think this is a useful comment.  I'd also like to get verification as to whether or not my assumptions are right on this or not.

I have always felt like exercise science is only a degree that will really get you somewhere with graduate level studies afterward.  And even then I'm somewhat confused as to what you do aside from becoming a trainer for a sports team or being a professor in exercise science.

Anyway, I'm gonna try to give you a bit of insight as to how I feel about chemistry and being a chemist.  I'm not meaning this to be a rant or whining or anything, just kinda an honest accounting of my view of my career so far.  Fair warning that there's some incoming bleak shit for you, but I'm not trying to be a downer or anything.

It's kind of a mixed bag.  I've been doing it with a BS for a decade + now and I'll be lucky if I ever make more than 75k (in Ohio money, which isn't a bad life FWIW) without getting into management which makes me feel like I'd have been better off getting an MBA after the chem degree without having bothered stepping foot into a lab.  Granted, jobs that are 100k+ plus are out there for lab work but unless you get really lucky with a company and have someone who really loves you in senior management, you're not likely to get a chance at them unless you have a PhD.  It's just the way it goes for us lab folk.  And you have to make the decision if a hellish 5-6 years of chemistry graduate school is worth it for another 45-75k/year if you're lucky.  I decided no way back at the age of 22 when I realized that chem grad students basically work 16 hours a day for 6 years followed by 3 years of making 30k/year as a postdoc while also working 16 hours a day.

That last paragraph is the core reason why I'm working on learning data science and programming.  I love the lab part of chemistry but I fucking hate the interactions with people who don't give a fuck about science but wanna twist the numbers to fit their current goals, reality be damned.  From what I understand, this is the corporate experience pretty much wherever you end up.

A couple of years ago, it hit me really hard that the further I worked myself up the ladder, the more those interactions became part of my daily life.  In the month before I gave my notice at Scotts, I sat through at least a half dozen meetings like that with people who "just wanted to figure all this out" while giving zero fucks about what I actually said about their projects.  My boss and the most senior person in the lab had probably 5x and 3x those number of meetings, respectively.  And I was about to become the most senior person in the lab in a matter of weeks when I left so I saw where my future was going.  Especially after my new manager (who had no actual chem lab experience after my Ph.D. lab manager was fired for telling the truth) told me "I'm really gonna need your help with all of this after _____ retires".  All for a handsome salary of 54k/year with no discussion from him about a promotion when that shift in responsibilities happened.

On the good side, there's a lot of jobs in the field and if you can find the right company for you, it does give you interesting work that you can really get into.  But who knows where that may take you.  The positions I've been interested in lately were Albuquerque, Billings, Salt Lake City and some bumfuck town in SC that I don't even remember the name of.  Not exactly awesome places to live in by most standards.  A lot of other hotbeds of work are NC, Boston, NJ and So Cal.  Not all bad, but not all great either.

My first job ticked the interesting work I was passionate about box but it was like working in hell.  The second job was boring work but a great environment.  And my most recent job was a fucking nightmare in both aspects.   So here I am, having worked for almost 15 years and still haven't found a job I actually love in this field.  It's probably out there but I've gotten tired of the search.  This unemployment has really pushed that concern front and center.  I'm cautiously optimistic about my temp assignment but in the end, if I like it or hate it, it doesn't matter because I have no guarantee that they won't throw me out after my contract is up and just restart the process with someone new.  Part of me assumes that I'm fooling myself into being hyped about it because I know don't have a better option.  Yet

And if I get into applied stats or data work, I may not like it every day, but I'll dislike it while making a lot more money and that can numb the pain quite a lot.  I'm also having more fun learning it than I ever did in chemistry class.

Anyway, you can take my jaded input into account if you'd like.  Or you can ignore it but regardless, it's some feedback I would have loved to hear when I was about halfway through my degree.  From my personal experience, if I had, chances are I would have eaten the student loan expense and started over with something different that very next quarter.  Probably either business or computer science.  Or maybe both.

6 hours ago, Emperor G_D said:

Keep your chin up. People do shitty things all the time without knowing that they have side effects. If you aren't dwelling on it, that's fine. Pretty sure your firing for cause makes you ineligible for unemployment, but in my experience, the shittier an employer feels about their decision, the more likely they are to approve the request.

ExSci is a great major if you plan on doing something with it, but chem might get you somewhere. 

Keep working to right the ship and keep on trucking.

Honestly I think you know I hated myself for even applying for unemployment. Whether I get it or not is not something I'm going to worry about. We've mapped out a survival plan without it if it takes me a little time to find employment but I don't think it will be all that long. If I need to flip burgers while I keep looking, so be it. I'm done being a whiny bitch with my life and not DOING something about it.

You're right about the degree from what I've gathered. With ExSci, I could be a well qualified trainer and with a CSCS cert I could find meaningful employment with professional sports teams. But that's a big lucky "maybe." So, the logical thing to do if time permitted would be to get a grad degree in PT or OT. Occupational Therapy pays well. So does PT in clinical settings. I would enjoy one of these routes the most.

The chem degree would open up a lot more doors, however. Much easier job search. I do like chemistry and I'm probably only a year away from finishing that degree. But, I wouldn't enjoy this as much as helping people with exercise.

JB, your input is very helpful. I see now that it reinforces how I felt. It wouldn't be my first choice but it wouldn't be a bad second choice. The pay wouldn't be great, but it certainly wouldn't be bad.  It's like marrying the dull girl with okay looks/personality and a monthly settlement income of 2k rather than the flaming hot beauty with a great personality and skillset with no money but lots of potential.

1 hour ago, mwarren said:

Honestly I think you know I hated myself for even applying for unemployment. Whether I get it or not is not something I'm going to worry about. We've mapped out a survival plan without it if it takes me a little time to find employment but I don't think it will be all that long. If I need to flip burgers while I keep looking, so be it. I'm done being a whiny bitch with my life and not DOING something about it.

You're right about the degree from what I've gathered. With ExSci, I could be a well qualified trainer and with a CSCS cert I could find meaningful employment with professional sports teams. But that's a big lucky "maybe." So, the logical thing to do if time permitted would be to get a grad degree in PT or OT. Occupational Therapy pays well. So does PT in clinical settings. I would enjoy one of these routes the most.

The chem degree would open up a lot more doors, however. Much easier job search. I do like chemistry and I'm probably only a year away from finishing that degree. But, I wouldn't enjoy this as much as helping people with exercise.

I think you have your answer it sounds like.  At this point, you have a long time in the workforce and doing something that would make you genuinely happy as opposed to easier seems the right course.  At least it would be the route I'd take.  And yeah, if you have to go back to school while flipping burgers, just keep reminding yourself of the goal while you're doing that shit job.

It sucks that you don't live in a major metro area with Amazon flex.  I signed up and you make between 18 and 25/hr for delivering packages to people's houses signed up in 3 hour blocks as well a random pop up options to make a pretty good chunk in a short burst if you get a food delivery run.  If I were going back to school, that'd be a hella good option for money during breaks from class or down time.  It won't make you rich but it'll get you by.

1 hour ago, Burton said:

I think you have your answer it sounds like.  At this point, you have a long time in the workforce and doing something that would make you genuinely happy as opposed to easier seems the right course.  At least it would be the route I'd take.  And yeah, if you have to go back to school while flipping burgers, just keep reminding yourself of the goal while you're doing that shit job.

It sucks that you don't live in a major metro area with Amazon flex.  I signed up and you make between 18 and 25/hr for delivering packages to people's houses signed up in 3 hour blocks as well a random pop up options to make a pretty good chunk in a short burst if you get a food delivery run.  If I were going back to school, that'd be a hella good option for money during breaks from class or down time.  It won't make you rich but it'll get you by.

Dude that sounds awesome for a student. 

Students in cities like austin, houston, LA, chicago, etc have such great options for money. Aside from what you said, they also have uber. Literally no excuse to not be able to make enough money to get through school.

Man, I forgot that the commercial gym closed early on Fridays so we did half a session and need to finish tomorrow. I recorded some squats. My knees were hurting today so they weren't quite like they've been as you can see me trying to avoid so much knee travel. But, my legs have been feeling stronger and I think I could have gone a bit heavier bit I wanted to let my knees rest.

We'll finish the training session tomorrow. 

WEEK 7 DAY 3- ACCUMULATION 2

A. PL Back Squat to Parallel 5-8 reps, RPE 9.5. Drop weight 10% and do sets until RPE 9 achieved.

335x8 RPE 7.5ish

305x8 RPE 9 rushed into this set so I was worn out

B1. Competition Grip Bench Press 5-8 reps, RPE 9.5. Drop weight 10% and do sets until RPE 9 achieved.

255x8 RPE 9

230x8 RPE 9 

Jamie squatted really well. She has the same bad tendencies as I do, but for very different reasons. Funny.

13 hours ago, Kimbo said:

I told you to let me know if your knees are hurting 😡

Oooop sorry. They haven't been hurting and are feeling good today, they just started hurting while I was warming up because I had been sitting down all day and it was an earlier workout than I'm used to. So it felt like training after waking up. 

To be honest, my knee pain is at a 4/10 today and most days lately. It was at an 8 or 9 before the last deload. During those last squats, it was at a 6 so I just tried to not aggravate it.

From yesterday's finish of Friday's session:

B2. Yates Row 5-8 reps, RPE 9.5, 3-1-X-1. Drop weight 10% and do sets until RPE 9 achieved.

255x8 RPE 10 sloppy AF

225x8 RPE 9

These were probably too sloppy for my liking but I didn't record them to see (I thought they were being recorded but they weren't). I was just excited because we got a deadlift platform at my commercial gym and I went a little crazy. 

C. Deadlift 1x5 @ RPE 7-8

335x5 RPE 4

The DL felt really, really easy but they are usually done after squats and at the end of a long session so I didn't want to do much more than I usually would do for recovery reasons. It would have been stupid to do 450x5 and then be exhausted for squats Monday. 

D1. Rope Curl 

3x15

D2. Rope overhead ext

3x15

E. Back Raise

BWx15

WEEK 8 DAY 1- ACCUMULATION 2

A. PL Back Squat to Parallel 5 reps, RPE 7

385x5 RPE 8 

My knees are a lil achey but I wanted to feel my anus tighten hard during a squat. It's been awhile.

B. Back Squat (full ROM) 5-8 reps, RPE 9.5, 3-1-X-1. Drop 10% and do backoff sets until RPE 9 achieved.

225x8 RPE 9

205x8 RPE 9

I think I'd forgotten these were full squats last week. That may have caused the knee pain build up last week because of the number of heavier sets

C. Competition Grip Bench Press 5 reps, RPE 7

275x5 RPE 8 I just wanted to push it a little

D1. Incline DB Bench Press 8-12 reps, RPE 9.5, 3-1-X-1. Drop 10% and do backoff sets until RPE 9 achieved.

85x14 RPE 9.5

85x10 RPE 9

Gym only has 85lb dumbbells so I'm going to add bands next session.

D2. Face Pull 12-15 reps, RPE 9.5, 3-1-X-1. Drop 10% and do backoff sets until RPE 9 achieved.

60x15 RPE 8

60x15 RPE 8

60x12 RPE 9

I'm getting much better at these and I didn't think I would need to use that much higher of a weight than last week. I'll leave more time to warm up to an appropriate weight next week.

Kim, my knees are hurting a bit but not horrible. I think maybe last session wasn't a fluke after all. It's the fermoral tendon. Should I take it easy on Wednesday squats for awhile? Or what should we do?

This is week 7 of 8, right? So next week is a deload? If so, then deload starting now until your knees are better - if it takes longer than two weeks, though, let me know.

33 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

This is week 7 of 8, right? So next week is a deload? If so, then deload starting now until your knees are better - if it takes longer than two weeks, though, let me know.

Week 5 was the last deload so I'm only starting my 3rd week back. I'm on week 7 of 10 you could say if I were doing 5 weeks each cycle. The weeks don't really matter I guess. The last cycle got cut short because of the damned knees. 

14 minutes ago, mwarren said:

Week 5 was the deload so I'm only starting my 3rd reload week

Ok. Don't do dropoff sets for the rest of the week and see how that goes. Stick with RPE 9.

3 hours ago, Kimbo said:

Ok. Don't do dropoff sets for the rest of the week and see how that goes. Stick with RPE 9.

Yes sir. I want to note that I feel fine yet again today so it's not hurting unless my quads are really activated. I think dropping the backoff sets for the rest of this week will work and then I should be able to get through my last week before deloading. 

I'm also going to stop doing movements with Jamie during her mobility workouts. I think I put too many reps on my rectus femorus.

2 hours ago, Emperor G_D said:

What's with the knee pain?

Man it's annoying. It's all my fault for squatting without knee travel for so long. Now that I'm trying to squat more effectively, it's putting stress on my femoral tendon that it wasn't acclimated to over the years. So I'm basically trying to play catch up with this tendon and my quad strength. We've been loading it the best we can until the pain reaches an 8 then reducing loads or volume until the end of the mesocycle. I've felt fine after my last 3 deloads but the knee pain causes a premature unloading of my lower body while my upper body still requires a bit of loading. 

I'm not sure what Kim's long term plan is but the tendon has been getting better each cycle. It's like a catch 22- the tendon needs to be loaded to get stronger but it can't handle loads that my lower body needs to progress. But like I said, it's been getting better so maybe we will have things ironed out soon. I'm sure it's hard for Kim from a programming standpoint because he's a quad dominant squatter. But I do have faith that he'll figure me out. It is certainly the main thing holding me back from heavier training weights and it's hard to adapt your CNS to heavier loads when your knees won't let you.

The long term plan was to cripple you so that you'd be easier to rape. But it's not working out at all. Sigh.

We might just need to adjust your volume. Maybe 2/1 work/deload, or ramp the dropoff up.

Do you do any stretching for your quads?

4 minutes ago, Ras said:

"Ooops I dropped the soap" is a really good quad stretch.

I feel like that's a better hamstring + sphincter muscle stretch.

44 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

The long term plan was to cripple you so that you'd be easier to rape. But it's not working out at all. Sigh.

We might just need to adjust your volume. Maybe 2/1 work/deload, or ramp the dropoff up.

Do you do any stretching for your quads?

I only do the stretches during the workouts. I do other stretches at home but none for quads directly because they seem pretty mobile. You want me to do any particular type for them? Static/dynamic? 

I was thinking about increasing the deload frequency but I'll have to ramp up quickly after each deload. I'll just keep you u to date with how I feel each session better and we can go from there. I know it's hard trying to accumulate higher and higher workloads or volumes in this scenario lol

18 minutes ago, mwarren said:

I only do the stretches during the workouts. I do other stretches at home but none for quads directly because they seem pretty mobile. You want me to do any particular type for them? Static/dynamic? 

I was thinking about increasing the deload frequency but I'll have to ramp up quickly after each deload. I'll just keep you u to date with how I feel each session better and we can go from there. I know it's hard trying to accumulate higher and higher workloads or volumes in this scenario lol

I think your Gastrocs and Tib Ants are tight.

23 minutes ago, Ras said:

I think your Gastrocs and Tib Ants are tight.

Very good possibility. It's usually downstream or upstream from the problem area.