Sign in to follow this  
Emperor G_D

So. Not. Powerlifting...

Make a program for somebody that is already relatively too strong in the legs and has a back injury? Yuck. 

Kim is awfully busy with work but if you're willing to try something new out, give a long list on goals/thoughts/wants/needs/periodization preference. I will map out my ideas depending on your answers and have Kim doctor it up when he has time this weekend perhaps.

9 hours ago, mwarren said:

Make a program for somebody that is already relatively too strong in the legs and has a back injury? Yuck. 

Kim is awfully busy with work but if you're willing to try something new out, give a long list on goals/thoughts/wants/needs/periodization preference. I will map out my ideas depending on your answers and have Kim doctor it up when he has time this weekend perhaps.

I've decided to pretend the injury doesn't exist. It doesn't hurt my squat or deadlift. It hurts to lay down on the bench for benching, but not to bench. So fuck it. It's a chronic weird thing that I'm going to have to work around, so it doesn't make much sense to focus on it. Flexiril seems to keep the spasms at bay, but now I take it on demand as opposed to 3xdaily. I took some advil with my morning meds (before gym), and took some tylenol right now 'just in case'. My back doesn't feel bad at all, though I'm justifiably guarded...

I'm working off a simple volume-based linear program that my twink worked up (thanks @Atlasnow). 

Week 1
Monday  
Squat 3x6 420
Deadlift 2x6 420
Deadstop Leg Press 3x10 270
GHR 3x8 (abs time permiting)  

Tuesday  
Bench 3x6 277
Barbell Row 3x6 225
DB Should Press 4x6 60
Pullup (weighted) 4x6 bw +25lbs
Rolling Triceps/Bicep super set 45/35
Delt burnout  

Thursday  
Squat 5x8 340
Conventional Speed Deads 5x3 340
Single Leg Press 3x10 90
Reverse Hyper 3x10 (abs time permiting)

Friday  
Spotto Press 4x8 235
DB Row 2x15 75
Z presses 2x20 35
Lat Pulldown w/band 4x10 150
Tricep Hell  
Pec Flies

Made some on-the-fly adjustments due to equipment being used (we basically bailed on the accessories but for some ab wheel). Oh, and I did 3, 3, 3, 3, 8 for deads because I can.

I expect my legs will feel like shit later and I'll have some volume-related aches and pains (left ankle, both knees, shoulders, etc.). We'll see if my thoracic pain comes to life. If it does, I will just go find an old folks home.

Legs feel like shit? Check. Knees, feet, and ankles feel like you just squatted for volume? Check. 

My back held up fine post - session so that's good. No added pain there. I am being super careful and using some prophylactic medicating, however. 

Today is my last workday of vacation, so I'm taking my family to big sur for some hiking. Should be fun, but I might take a flexiril for the trip and hike. Might even grab an extra for the ride home-just in case. 

Then again, I might be fine, too. That's how this seems to be going. 

Day 4

Spoto presses 

45x20 

95x10

135x5

165×5

195×5

225×5

230×8×4S

Db rows

75x15x2S

Z presses

30lbsx20x2S

Lat pulldowns plus Green band

120x10

130x10

130x10

Standing cable flye

50x15

60x10

70x10

Triceps hell 

Over

130x20x2S

Under 

90x20x2S

Db curls 

35x10x3S

Out. 

Have fun hiking in Big Sur! Love that area. Which part are you planning to go to? I've spent more time in the southern half because, well, my family lives south of Big Sur so it's closer.

1 hour ago, Mr.Kite said:

Have fun hiking in Big Sur! Love that area. Which part are you planning to go to? I've spent more time in the southern half because, well, my family lives south of Big Sur so it's closer.

I don't know, but it's probably the "southern half". We're going to McWay Falls and then possibly either Canyon falls or up the Ewoldsen trail. Depending on time and whatnot.

Edit: That's undoubtedly the "northern half, since it's the first piece past Carmel.

Oh yeah, that's way up there. We usually go to places between Salmon Creek and Plaskett Creek, sometimes as far as Mill/Kirk Creek. The area up north is nicer though, so it's convenient that it's closer to you.

Well, it was an interesting trip. THe whole area is basically closed because of washouts from the last few years. Pretty disappointing, actually. Especially, since the park staff are eager to get you to pay, but don't tell you that you're paying for a nice place to eat your lunch and that's about it. We went to the next park, Pfeiffer State park, and it was a similar story there-lots of washed out and hard to get to trails.

Said fuck it, and went in to Monterey for some park fun and dinner at El Torito.

It's been a long day, and I'm sore as hell. 

Lower day 1

Squats to 445 (which, as it happens, was a misload-target should have been 435 this week)

445x6x3S

Deadlifts

Worked up to 405

405x1

445x6x2S

Dead-stop leg press

270x10

325x8x4S

Reverse hyper for a few

Ab rollouts for a few

Done.

Upper day 1

Bench

Worked up to 280

280x6x3S

BB Row

135-ishx6

185-ishx6

230-ishx6

(*-ish because I think the texas dl bar is heavier)

Seated Shoulder press (DB)

80x6

75x6x2S

Had some pain in my front delt on my right shoulder on these. It made it hard to get to full 100% extension above my head. Notable that this is the side I have the mid-thoracic back pain on.

Vertical Pull

Lat Pulldowns (no band)

140x10

150x10

160x10

Lying Rolling Triceps extensions

40x10x3S

Had to run after that.

Will get another 20 minute bike session in this evening. Trying to just get more work done. 

I've been taking berberine, RYR, and policosanol for a few days. It's not great on the gut, but it's not nearly as awful as metformin. 

I have a cold. I went in to the gym because I needed to drop the bulk of my RCs that I wasn't using off to some unsuspecting buyer. While I was there, I decided to do my intended session as sets of 3 at the same weight, because I don't feel like making myself worse by doing 5 sets of 8 or 4 sets of 6 of deadlifts.

Lift looked like this:

Squat

Worked up to 350 by 3s.

350x3x5S

Deadlift

Worked up to Adam's weight of 285 because I couldn't be bothered to go heavier.

285x3x5S

Done.

Sidenote: All kinds of odd things happening in the gym this year. The owner saw a bands and a mat on the floor at like 3PM and put some sadface rant on Instagram about how disrespectful the gym populace is. Then he proceeded to just whine about coming in at 3PM and not being able to get in his workout! Egads! and be disrespectful back (note: he had employees there all day long, from 5AM to 3PM. Why didn't those guys handle business?). All sorts of signs have popped up in the gym and they all essentially end with "don't be LAZY". Just weird, petulant petty shit.

One of the non-gym-affiliated trainers asked us to keep it down because a bar was making too much noise WHILE DOING BB ROWS. The same trainer came in today, made a stankface at the music that the owner's wife put on, and sent one of her trainees to whine about the music*. 

Oh, single-fucking ply toilet paper. WTF? Spend the extra $10 per month, please.

Gym nirvana is much less idealistic these days...

*- we whined earlier when some super-white alternative shit came on

13 hours ago, Emperor G_D said:

I think that would solve most of their issues...

The important thing here is that you advise them to wipe their tears before they wipe their assholes.

I am returned from the dead.

Still getting over a couple-day virus for my kids what knocked me on my ass. Sinuses and upper respiratory tract are still pretty savaged, but now my throat is not totally fucked, and my coughs aren't unintentional any longer.

Went to the gym yesterday and was surprised by how shit everything felt. Also had a lovely conversation with one of the trainers about the toddlers who run the place. lol

TOday, did the current standard second press day:

Spoto's at 60%+

240x6x4S

DB Rows 

(skipped due to shitter break)

NOTE: Single-ply TP is the fucking devil, and after you've used half a roll to clean your ass, you haven't saved any money

Z-Press

30x20x2S

-superset-

Lat Pulldowns against a band

I think it was:

120x8

120x8

120x8

110x10

Note: When I take the band off and do straight weight, it's cool to see how much stronger I am, now.

Triceps Hell

Over

140x20x2S

Under

110x20x2S

Hammer curls

40x10x4S

Standing cable chest flyes

3 sets of 10 at 70 or 80 pounds

Side delt raises

20x10x2S

That is all.