Sign in to follow this  
Elle

Fasting with "brainy" job?

So I really wanna get back to some form of fasting - have low calorie periods during my week. 

Problem is that I work as a software architect and I can't imagine fasting as the blood sugar drops are what kills my focus. I need to be focused 9-10 hours a day, I can take a break in the middle some times. I eat every 2-3 hours while I'm working, healthy meals and nibbles, and it sustains me.

Now, I can go full keto and from my experience this works and you can be focused when fasting if in ketosis but its so easy to get out of ketosis IME that its not worth all the hassle. also, i don't like the nutritional deprecation.

those of you who successfully IF/fasted while maintaining productivity in a brain-demanding work or anyone, please chime in

If you do IF right (which IMO is the leangains, at least 16 hr fast, see recommendations on macros), you might notice an increase in cognition. I certainly had no problem the second time around that I ran LeanGains IF working in a cancer research lab. 

I'd do some research if I were you to learn more. It's been too long since I've done my own primary research on the topic to remember the specifics or where to find the info, and the scam artist behind LeanGains put up all his stuff behind a paywall now, so I don't have the literature at the tip of my fingers to share. But it's out there. Here's a layman's article on the topic: https://medium.com/sparrho/could-intermittent-fasting-enhance-your-cognitive-ability-8b59d689f35a

Here are some shitty rodent studies that probably shouldn't have any real bearing on the effects of IF on human cognition but support my point anyways: 

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0066069

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28515159

8 hours ago, Sanction said:

Fast one or two non-work days a week?

Do a 13 hour fast-- e.g. don't eat between 5 p.m. and 6 a.m.

thought about that, and working out on the am.

16 hour intermittent fasting should be doable if you overlap your 8 hour feeding window with your work day.

As for full-on fasting: I find that spending 3-4 weeks in ketosis really primes my body to handle fasting well. You could try a month-long ketosis experiment to train your body, then attempt single-day fasts after you return to your regular feeding schedule.

I've messed around a bit with extended fasts here and there (one was about 44hr long), and I found that cognition went up, but sociability went down.

I have read a few accounts of use of exogenous ketones during fasts to help keep one sharp. They're too expensive for me, but if someone ends up trying it I'd to hear how it goes.

I have found I can extend my periods of not-eating (not technically fasting) by adding protein powder to my black coffee.

Coffee alone I can do 6-8hrs pretty easily. Coffey + protein, 8-12 hours are possible.

Pretty sure I'm at my sharpest for cognitive stuff when fasting but it's hard to fast 12-16 hours and then being able to cram 3k calories with my current living conditions (kitchenless).

Some of the exogenous ketone salts have come down in price. They're not cheap at the full recommended dosage (usually 6-10g) but I've found that even 1-2g is enough to do something for me.

If you get BHB Magnesium or even BHB Sodium, you don't want to take 6-10g anyway. A blend of salts is best.

On 12/4/2018 at 6:58 AM, Construct said:

Some of the exogenous ketone salts have come down in price. They're not cheap at the full recommended dosage (usually 6-10g) but I've found that even 1-2g is enough to do something for me.

If you get BHB Magnesium or even BHB Sodium, you don't want to take 6-10g anyway. A blend of salts is best.

You mean as a way to get to keto faster?