Sign in to follow this  
Elle

Sublimation, culture, and creativity.

This interests me greatly, kisses and love in advance ❤️

Sublimation, culture, and creativity.

Kim, Emily Zeppenfeld, Veronika Cohen, Dov

Combining insights from Freud and Weber, this article explores whether Protestants (vs. Catholics and Jews) are more likely to sublimate their taboo feelings and desires toward productive ends. In the Terman sample (Study 1), Protestant men and women who had sexual problems related to anxieties about taboos and depravity had greater creative accomplishments, as compared to those with sexual problems unrelated to such concerns and to those reporting no sexual problems. Two laboratory experiments (Studies 2 and 3) found that Protestants produced more creative artwork (sculptures, poems, collages, cartoon captions) when they were (a) primed with damnation-related words, (b) induced to feel unacceptable sexual desires, or (c) forced to suppress their anger. Activating anger or sexual attraction was not enough; it was the forbidden or suppressed nature of the emotion that gave the emotion its creative power. The studies provide possibly the first experimental evidence for sublimation and suggest a cultural psychological approach to defense mechanisms. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2016 APA, all rights reserved)

Kim, E., Zeppenfeld, V., & Cohen, D. (2013). Sublimation, culture, and creativity. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 105(4), 639-666.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/a0033487

3 hours ago, Elle said:

I asked for the full text, than read some more in this forum and found it.

What I meant was that I was puzzled by many aspects of the study.

Not the least of which is the use of the word "depravity" without any definition. Maybe I missed it. It seems a strong word with lots of moralistic, judgemental connotations, so maybe it's a jargon word familiar to religious scholars.

its in the context of the protestant belief. I'm not from around there but I sure know about that and how they love them some fires of hell. so its a "depravity" in the context of sublimation - that is the borders for the desire are harsher.