Sign in to follow this  
Ras

Occult Blooded Occlusion Grimoire

PLACE HOLDER.

I will be starting a BFR Blog here in the New Year (Jan 2). I am looking at a number of variables:

1) Recovery

2) Rehab

3) Hypertrophy

I don't do ancillary exercises much these days; as I said to Sam earlier today, the closest I get to isolation is the press in a clean and press.

Also switching up to do a Big 3/4 mesocycle sometime in January. And joining a (puke) gym.

Subbed.

I did quite a bit of BFR in rehab for my knee. I'd like to add it in again, as I feel like it was really good for getting in volume without tanking myself.

Despite the counterculture(which I'm usually a member of) claims that it doesn't do anything, I don't think there is sufficient evidence to say either way. But logically, why wouldn't BFR cause a reaction back to homeostasis?

I am pretty sold on it from the literature for rehab and recovery and really couldn't give much of a shit about hypertrophy. My original interest came from using a cuff for tendonitis while training and noticing much more rapid recovery. Nuckols wrote the best synopsis on mechanisms that I have read to date:

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/blood-flow-restriction-the-holy-grail-for-accessory-work/

Just to fill the time while I am waiting to tourniquet myself, today's workout is pretty par for the course for my daily am training:

10 Minutes Mobility - Qi Gong

Giant sets: 10 92 KG  swings,  25 proper push-ups (Dan John style), 5 L/R 92 KG rows L/R x 4

50 48 kg KB swings finisher

15 minutes Stretching - Sun Salutations

Yes, Sam, I had to get mention of my beloved 92 kg KB in there. I am flawed too.

Thigh. I will use the thigh ones on my shoulders as need be. Didn't want to shell out for both types at this point. They are the BFR brand ones..which seem "good enough". 

On 12/18/2018 at 5:23 AM, Ras said:

I am pretty sold on it from the literature for rehab and recovery and really couldn't give much of a shit about hypertrophy. My original interest came from using a cuff for tendonitis while training and noticing much more rapid recovery. Nuckols wrote the best synopsis on mechanisms that I have read to date:

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/blood-flow-restriction-the-holy-grail-for-accessory-work/

I'm sold on it as well. I still use it for rehabbing my knees.

To be honest, I want occlusion training to be an answer to increased vascularity. Since my using days, I haven't been able to recover the insane veins I once had. I hope you can comment on any progress you see in that department.

I had never researched occlusion training wrt recovery/rehab but it appears to be pretty well supported. The claims of increased muscle growth from metabolites does not seem to be supported. I do want to know how this pans out. 

Bands arrived today; did my second training session with them...just a fuck ton of light drop sets (curls 30/20/10/5, pushups 40/30/20/10, squats 20/15/10/5). The ones I got are easy to put on for legs but a PITA for arms. The feeling was interesting...felt like I was dying after the last set in each each grouping but am feeling refreshed now. Considering how CNS bombed I felt after a heavy workout yesterday, it was a nice relief.

1 hour ago, Emperor G_D said:

I saw some interesting studies yesterday on BFR and mitochondrial changes...

With the oxygen depriving face masks, it was brought up by some lit review youtube channel (authoritative, I know) that causing the same oxygen debt without the mask had even more benefits. I'm wondering if the same would be true here. Causing the same metabolic response without the BFR might make it seem like a moot point. BUT then again, achieving mitochondrial changes similar to exhaustive high rep training with less reps and weight would be extremely beneficial to athletes for GPP. They can spend more fatigue doing more specific work.

Kim, tie me off.

4 hours ago, mwarren said:

With the oxygen depriving face masks, it was brought up by some lit review youtube channel (authoritative, I know) that causing the same oxygen debt without the mask had even more benefits.

I saw someone wearing one of these today and I got wondering if making it harder to draw a full breath is really the same as exercising at altitude....when the oxygen partial pressure is lower, the oxygen exchange in the lungs is lower...

1 hour ago, STENDEC said:

I saw someone wearing one of these today and I got wondering if making it harder to draw a full breath is really the same as exercising at altitude....when the oxygen partial pressure is lower, the oxygen exchange in the lungs is lower...

I had thought of that as well but wrote it off thinking that the differences in partial pressures of sea level vs high altitude would mean very little to the musculature of the diaphragm. But now that you mention it, it would definitely have an effect on lung volume at rest, would it not? I don't like the masks regardless because they look fucktarded so my bias will always be against them

So, by way of 'protocol', what I am setting up is:

M-F -> AM - Workout as per usual/PM BFR accessory work

Sat/Sun-> AM - Heavier Work + BFR in same session

I will keep all my daily active recovery shit in place - Qi Gong, Yoga, meditation, dog walks.