Sign in to follow this  
Ras

Occult Blooded Occlusion Grimoire

22 hours ago, STENDEC said:

I saw someone wearing one of these today and I got wondering if making it harder to draw a full breath is really the same as exercising at altitude....when the oxygen partial pressure is lower, the oxygen exchange in the lungs is lower...

I believe your friend Adel Moussa had some research showing that it was not the same thing, and basically useless.

http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2017/04/elevation-masks-are-still-useless.html

Adel's article did miss this despite the publication date:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4879455/

I think if you want to use something that WOULD work, I would suggest considering a PEP mask. They are a gold standard for increasing FEV1, SpO2, etc. in Cystic Fibrosis.

Exercises identified thus far as 'compatible' with BFR (caveat here is that my equipment is limited to kettlebells and bodyweight until Feb):

1) All forms of curls (bottoms-up and crush curls are my go-tos here)

2) All forms of push-ups (Dan John's Proper Push-ups are my go-tos here)

3) All forms of press (standing Arnolds blablabla)

4) Goblet squats and KB front squats

5) RDLs and SLDLs

6) Lunges

7) Loaded carries - when my yard isn't an ice rink, I am going to try upper/lower body BFR with Farmers

8 ) All forms of band work

Because my workouts are essentially modular, I will post the basic templates here, partially based on my AM workout today:

Supersets:

25 RKC Swings - 48 kg

10 1-arm KB Floor Presses - 48 kg

25 Hardstyle Swings - 48 kg

10 Goblet Squats - 48 kg

Repeat 2x, Minimal Rest

I generally 'giant set' the swing variations listed above during weekday AM training with Proper Push-ups and a third alternating exercise - Gob Squats, Pull-ups, Floor Presses, etc. This has become my 'bare minimum' daily workout.

Heavier work:

2x10xRKC Swings 92 Kg

2x10xHardstyle Swings 92 KG

4x5xL/R 92 KG 1-arm rows

4x5xL/R 92 KG Suitcase Deadlifts

Getting used to this heavier KB now but need to do some focused grip work - those rows aren't happening without straps currently.

I will sometimes do SOME of this in a PM workout depending on CNS status.

BFR work:

As listed above; I am still experimenting with this. However, I am committed to doing (for now) one upper body drop set and one lower body drop set based on the aforementioned variations. This is part of the weekend workouts and is done as a PM workout on weekdays.

Workout Album of the Day:

https://comatosemusic.bandcamp.com/album/shadows-became-flesh

5 hours ago, Ras said:

So it appears to strengthen the diaphragm and breathing accessory muscles but doesn't really simulate training at altitude where the partial pressure of oxygen is lower...IOW, using this device or one of those restriction masks would not promote increased RBC production and the improved oxygen transport that would bring.

The elevation masks do nothing for altitude and little for anything else as they make it harder to breathe in. The PEP because it makes it harder to breathe out has tons of evidence showing improved spirometry metrics.

1 hour ago, STENDEC said:

So it appears to strengthen the diaphragm and breathing accessory muscles but doesn't really simulate training at altitude where the partial pressure of oxygen is lower...IOW, using this device or one of those restriction masks would not promote increased RBC production and the improved oxygen transport that would bring.

But you can pretend to be bane in the gym...

Just another note re BFR...I am not doing any specifically calculated 20/30/40/50 1RM shit. 1) I hate that shit and 2) I don't have the range of equipment to allow me to do it. What I am doing is doing a weight that I can do 'comfortably' for 1 occluded high rep set, less comfortably for a second occluded high rep set, third painful, fourth or fifth, agony, defeat, loss, tragedy, farce.

So, I have settled for now on two drop sets upper body/two drop sets lower body as divided above (PM weekdays, part of single bigger workout on weekends).

One thing I will note: zero soreness. Like, you would think for instance that doing endless curls would make you sore especially when you don't do them AT ALL EVER (for over a decade). But nada.

Split into 2 today:

AM

Giant sets x 4 x Swings@48 kg x 25 + proper push ups x 25 + pull ups x 5

Finisher: Swings@92 kg  x 4 x 15

PM
KB rows@92 kg x L/R x 4 x 5

BFR drops sets: Goblet Squats 30/20/20/15/15/10

BFR drop sets: KB deadlifts: 25/20/20/20/15/15

BFR drop sets: L/R KB OH tricep extensions: 30/30/25/20/15
BFR drop sets: L/R KB bottoms-up bicep curls: 25/25/20/20/15

BFR drop sets: L/R KB press: 25/20/20/20/15

You're using a 92kg kb? Good shit! 

I would like to see a trend for BP....during exercise to see if it decreases over time because of new veins or something. And hell, it would be good to see if BP at rest changes. 

7 hours ago, mwarren said:

You're using a 92kg kb? Good shit! 

I would like to see a trend for BP....during exercise to see if it decreases over time because of new veins or something. And hell, it would be good to see if BP at rest changes. 

Will do.

My PT said that BP tends to shoot up with both arms occluded. So that's something you may want to measure (and keep an eye on).

29 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

My PT said that BP tends to shoot up with both arms occluded. So that's something you may want to measure (and keep an eye on).

That would be a difficult thing to know given how BP is most commonly measured...

1 hour ago, Emperor G_D said:

When you apply the cuff to your neck, do you get an immediate erection? Or does it take almost passing out for that to happen?

@Kimbo convinced me that it was the latter, and I don't really remember much of that night.

I suffer from priapism anyway so this hasn't been a concern yet. Problem is passing out at the top of a snatch...

On 1/13/2019 at 3:21 PM, STENDEC said:

That would be a difficult thing to know given how BP is most commonly measured...

Can't really measure it, sure, but she's had people get dizzy from it.

34 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

When I saw this pop up on the side bar, I wasn't sure if it was a reference to the passing out at the top of the snatch comment.

Yeah, I think it requires care, especially for those among you that are on any BP-raising PEDs. Related, but nerve-impingement specific, I have noticed numbness and tingling a couple of times (which I immediately correct by loosening the bands).

9 hours ago, Kimbo said:

I suppose it's possible that occlusion might work like the old MAST system that was used in EMS....basically inflatable pants that artificially raised a patient's BP...