Sign in to follow this  
Right Hook

520 Days of Isolation

Only in Russia...it seems they isolated people for 520 days! Who the fuck signs up for that experiment.

[Ecopsychological investigations in 520-day isolation].

Authors

[No authors listed]

Journal

Aviakosm Ekolog Med. 2014;48(3):25-9. Article in Russian.

Affiliation

Abstract

Assessment of the importance of higher plants for emotions and relations within the group of test-subjects was performed in the long-duration chamber experiment MARS-500 designed as an imitation of an exploration mission. It was shown that the degree of involvement with the plants dictated the magnitude and character of the ecopsychological effect. Subjects with high psychological stability and dominating introversion were more inclined to interact with plants. Remoteness of the greenhouse from recreation areas weakened the ecopsychological effect and denied the crew the opportunity to interact with plants. At the same time, the presence of the plant growth unit with decorative plants in the lounge had certainly a positive psychological effect. The crew gave preference to big bright flowers that did not demand much care. This observation should be taken into consideration by designers of psychological recreation environments. Choice of plants to be grown as a dietary supplement for the crew in isolation and confinement should be made with allowance for cultural preferences of crew members.

Apparently Russians like to do some pretty extreme shit like this while on vacation. For example, they offer tours of Ukraine for off-duty soldiers. You get to ride in an armored vehicle, and what's not to love about that?

I've always wanted to visit Pripyat.

My favorite part of the abstract is this line:

This observation should be taken into consideration by designers of psychological recreation environments. 

What is a psychological recreation environment? And where can I find one?

Sounds like Orwellian doublespeak to me.

A place where the kremlin sends people who they deem need a bit of time away from thinking and haloperidol just ain't doing the job.

J

LIthuania, I think.  there's an amusement park with a Communist Russia experience where ex-Russian soldiers will teach you the Anthem and interrogate you.  Make you feel like you were really there.  Or the Holocaust Museum, where you do the thing where you're given an ID number and get the concetration camp experience..

LIthuania, I think.  there's an amusement park with a Communist Russia experience where ex-Russian soldiers will teach you the Anthem and interrogate you.  Make you feel like you were really there. 

Impressive memory you have -- yes, it seems to exist

http://www.trendhunter.com/trends/isgyvenimo-drama-soviet-bunker?PageSpeed=noscript

and

IÅ¡gyvenimo drama opened in early 2008 to some controversy. Tourists pay 120 LTL ($US 220) each to step back into 1984 as a temporary USSR citizen for 2.5 hours. On entry, all belongings, including money, cameras and phones, are handed over and under the watchful eye of guards and alsatians, tourists change into threadbare Soviet coats and are herded through the bunker.

Experiences include watching TV programs from 1984, wearing gas masks, learning the Soviet anthem under duress, eating typical Soviet food (with genuine Soviet tableware) and even undergoing a concentration-camp-style interrogation and medical check.

bound is really just a copypasta reddit bot.

You like it.

In all honesty, though, it's true.  This last time I showed back up, I saw a lot of complaints about the low activity in the forums, and figured I could at least add some activity by cross-posting the more usful stuff I run across on Reddit.  If nothing else, Reddit is one hell of a good concetration of the internet.  Now where's my fucking Karma?!

On 8/29/2014 at 6:01 PM, Construct said:

Me too!

Especially to see that secret radar base where they could detect and identify incoming missiles

2 hours ago, Sanction said:

Plenty! Stop me if I've told you this one before...

It has actual heavy metal in it, not like that crypto-emo music you listen to

https://youtu.be/414mrPgK5Yk

YOU are the Chanson de Geste in this conversation, my friend.