Sign in to follow this  
STENDEC

Food Finds

Dannon Oikos Triple Zero Greek Yogurt

Clearly a product marketed at men, comes in a manly black container with the NFL logo on it...

dHmClwN.png

Marketing aside, it has decent macros, 15g of PRO and 15g of CHO of which 6g is fiber.

Sweetened with stevia extract, this stuff is not overly sweet and still retains some of the yogurt pucker that I know some people appreciate.

Coconut is my favorite flavor thus far although the mixed berry is also pretty decent.

Fairlife 2% milk.

krGqmO4.png

Affectionately known as Frankenmilk, this stuff has been disassembled and then reassembled to alter its macros in a favorable manner. So it has 13g of PRO, 6g of CHO and 4.5g of fat in an 8oz serving.

I mix ~12 oz with Hershey's Sugar Free Chocolate Syrup (which has no malitol in it BTW) for a quick, no fuss 20g protein drink.

Detour Simple Snack Size bars.

6uyXaiI.jpg

Again, no malitol, taste of the caramel-peanut is vaguely reminiscent of a Snickers bar and the smaller size is nice if you just want a quick decent macro snack...

10g PRO, 11g CHO, 3g fiber, 4g fat.

<$1 per bar at Costco

So lately for breakfast, I've been having a yogurt and 12oz of Fairlife milk which gives me 35g of PRO, 15G of CHO and 5g of fat and it takes about three minutes to prepare and eat.

Nice. All we got out of mentioned is chobani.

I like the idea of chobani + flavoured whey conc. I'd imagine if you eat it 5-6 times per day plus some veggies it would be a good way to lose weight.

What's wrong with maltilol?

Maltitol is a largely indigestible sugar alcohol that food makers use to make "sugar free" food products. The main problem is that while you might not be able to digest it, your gut bacteria probably can and will...producing huge amounts of CO2 in the process...which creates an uncomfortable roto rooter effect in yours truly...

Nice. Sugarless gummies. Sugar free candy is so expensive here. The actual cal content on the back of the pack is higher than normal sugar candy. But because it's not digested do we consider it low cal food?

There is a woman in my office who is completely immune to the stuff.

She was singing the praises of some "low carb" protein bar she had found and when I looked at the ingredients, it had like 20g of maltitol per serving and a bar was two servings...my intestines churned just thinking about eating it.

I dunno. I just assumed whatever bugs she has living in her guts don't like maltitol either...

Why would you assume that? I don't mind maltitol or other sugar alcohols at all. I will admit that I've never downed 4 pounds of gummi bears, but I've eaten my share of truffles and other candies with no side effects.

I also really used to enjoy the Wow! chips with no GI issues...

Why would you assume that? I don't mind maltitol or other sugar alcohols at all. I will admit that I've never downed 4 pounds of gummi bears, but I've eaten my share of truffles and other candies with no side effects.

I also really used to enjoy the Wow! chips with no GI issues...

Then my guess is your gut biome is also not populated with a predominance of bugs who are maltitol metabolizers...I suppose the other possibility is that your bugs actually produce a lot of maltase so you can absorb maltitol yourself.

In any event, like left handedness, the ability to consume a lot of maltitol without discomfort appears to be the exception not the rule.

Then my guess is your gut biome is also not populated with a predominance of bugs who are maltitol metabolizers...I suppose the other possibility is that your bugs actually produce a lot of maltase so you can absorb maltitol yourself.

In any event, like left handedness, the ability to consume a lot of maltitol without discomfort appears to be the exception not the rule.

I'm also left-handed. You're scoring big, today, Ben. :)