Sign in to follow this  
STENDEC

Food Finds

On 4/24/2018 at 4:29 AM, meth said:

What's wrong with sucralose?

For most folks, likely nothing.

Though in mice it does perturb the gut microbiota and cause inflammation in the liver.

40 minutes ago, ((Vibe)) said:

For most folks, likely nothing.

Though in mice it does perturb the gut microbiota and cause inflammation in the liver.

Let me translate your answer:

Nothing.

The pseudoscience is continually cut down around sucralose. Someone posted a new study a few days ago, but I'm having a hard time finding where I read it. It really is time for this to die.

4 hours ago, Emperor G_D said:

Let me translate your answer:

Nothing.

The pseudoscience is continually cut down around sucralose. Someone posted a new study a few days ago, but I'm having a hard time finding where I read it. It really is time for this to die.

Allow me to return the favor by translating your answer to something a little more scientifically prudent:

"The available evidence seems to indicate...nothing."

:P

3 hours ago, ((Vibe)) said:

"The available evidence seems to indicate...nothing."

This is true, but is almost always true...because you can't prove a negative...so nobody will ever prove that sucralose isn't bad for you.

But the chemistry doesn't favor toxicity. For starters, because it is 1000x as sweet as sugar, the gross amount of sucralose in anything you might consume is going to be very small; a single drop of sucralose liquid is the equivalent of a full teaspoon of sugar. It is also essentially unabsorbable in the gut....something like 90% of sucralose consumed by humans passes through unabsorbed and unchanged....and of the percent that does get absorbed, most of that is excreted unchanged in the urine...metabolically speaking, consuming sucralose is like eating a few grains of sand...

Haha, for sure.  I was mostly just making a joke by mixing the jargon you find in clinical studies with what Sam was saying.

Leave it to Stendec to follow up with a reply like: "Technically speaking...."

:D

This is probably old news for you all but I recently stumbled upon Brown Sugar blend Splenda. A teaspoon has 4 grams of carbs and mixes very well into a cup of plain Greek yogurt. My new favorite healthy breakfast is a cup of Chobani plain Greek yogurt, some almonds or walnuts and a teaspoon of the brown sugar Splenda. 

Birds Eye frozen veggie pastas are really good and easy to prepare. They're made from veggies and lentils, and they actually taste half way decent. I usually will eat a serving with a hamburger patty or chicken and some veg.

12 minutes ago, Sanction said:

I tried porcini mushrooms for the first time this week. It's remarkable how they have aromas reminiscent of pork.

Dried porcini dust is fantastic as a seasoning or put into braises, stews, etc.

On 3/14/2019 at 7:36 PM, Kimbo said:

Dried porcini dust is fantastic as a seasoning or put into braises, stews, etc.

I was trying to think of a way to get some mushrooms in my diet. Bingo.

On 10/3/2018 at 7:24 PM, STENDEC said:

0263b16e-0b4f-44ea-a1b3-15acd91196b4_1.3

Tastes remarkably good and protein goes up if you use Fairlife milk and an egg in the mix.

I use this. And make it with Fairlife and an egg. The only problem with these mixes (there's 2 other similar brands I've seen/tried) is that they are a little dry no matter how you try to change the ratios. Only thing I can find to make it have the right mouth-feel is to put loooots of butter on them. 

But hey, whole grains, quality and varied protein sources, easily digestible carbs (with maple syrup), and a very good fat profile. If it ends up being 50% fat, so be it. 

12 minutes ago, Emperor G_D said:

I like the Kodiak flapjacks more than I likenregukarnones, but they can be a bit dry, as mentioned. 

Is this a stroke in Yiddish?

On a whim, I purchased a lot of frozen Calamari at Costco today. Tentacles included.

Anyone have any calamari recipe suggestions that don't involve flour?

9 hours ago, Construct said:

On a whim, I purchased a lot of frozen Calamari at Costco today. Tentacles included.

Anyone have any calamari recipe suggestions that don't involve flour?

Simmer in tomato sauce until tender. Very tasty.