Burton

Liftin' weights and other shit

10 minutes ago, Emperor G_D said:

This it. 

Remove the question marks and make them statements. 

FTR, I would have a hard time in the same situation, as well. I would feel like I gave my word to someone and I am somehow breaking it by quitting early. It's just that A- it's contract B- it's contract and C- well, you guessed it...

Between the contract and having to move into some shitty bedroom in someone else's house to work the contract gig, I would have no problem bailing on Smucker's.

So, cast off this guilt bullshit, and go into these interviews with a healthy amount of confidence. In the words of one of my good friends and mentors: Hump it into submission.

Thanks, buddy.  That's what I needed.  That's not me trying to stop the rest of you clowns from jumping in with tales of god knows what.

I'm pretty confident about the interview.  I mean, what company contacts you based on a 4-month-old resume, asks for an interview less than 24 hours after you send them a repeat copy of the same resume and has the whole thing arranged for 3 business days after the courting started if they're not interested in you immediately?  Post haste and such.

The guilt thing just sucks.  Even though there's no reason to feel it.  Adrienne nailed it with me yesterday when she was like "it's a contract organization, I'm sure they deal with this shit all the time".  For me, I guess that's just the cost of doing business like this for Smucker's.  I would probably have an actual reason to feel bad for them if this was a sudden, unexpected influx of work.  But no, this is a position that previously existed (hence them having the budget and such already for it) so I have no reason to feel sorry for them trying to temp position a job that was once a full-time position.  I think that's why I find it so shitty that they're using a contract job to do this work.  It feels like they're screening me to determine if I'm good enough to allow me to work for them for real.  Fuck them for that bullshit.

And Ras, C I believe is "Rock out with your cock out" which is probably Sam's way of telling me to not wear pants during the interview or any point afterward with the company I'm interviewing with.  I think it's a dominance thing.

1 minute ago, Burton said:

Thanks, buddy.  That's what I needed.  That's not me trying to stop the rest of you clowns from jumping in with tales of god knows what.

I'm pretty confident about the interview.  I mean, what company contacts you based on a 4-month-old resume, asks for an interview less than 24 hours after you send them a resume and has the whole thing arranged for 3 business days after the whole thing started if they're not interested in you immediately?  Post haste and such.

The guilt thing just sucks.  Even though there's no reason to feel it.  Adrienne nailed it with me yesterday when she was like "it's a contract organization, I'm sure they deal with this shit all the time".  So I guess that's probably the cost of doing business like this for Smucker's.  I would probably have an actual reason to feel bad for them if this was a sudden, unexpected influx of work.  But no, this is a position that previously existed (hence them having the budget and such already for it) so I have no reason to feel sorry for them trying to temp position a job that was once a full time position.

And Ras, C I believe is "Rock out with your cock out" which is probably Sam's way of telling me to not wear pants during the interview or any point afterward with the company I'm interviewing with.  I think it's a dominance thing.

I would push for an in-person if you can and push on the scheduling as well. It's a good litmus test of their corporate culture. I have loyalties to my teams and staff but never my organization. In this case, you owe them less than nothing.

Your guilt is a carry-over from a few million years of evolution. We lived in small groups where life and death were the consequences of fulfilling small commitments. We had only one tribe to keep us alive. This no longer applies.

Unless the CEO calls you up and invites you to marry his/her daughter, there is no benefit for your vestigial guilt.

8 hours ago, Burton said:

I think that's why I find it so shitty that they're using a contract job to do this work.  It feels like they're screening me to determine if I'm good enough to allow me to work for them for real.  Fuck them for that bullshit..

To be blunt, they probably gave you a contract position because they could tell they were holding all of the cards in that negotiation. If you're already between jobs and they figured out that you were willing to jump through hoops to commute long distance to interview there, they probably realized you'd take a contract offer.

In this next interview, I'd suggest that you take this angle: Tell the interviewers that you're mostly happy with your current position. Let them know you're open to new opportunities, and you're particularly interested in what this new company does. Explain that you're preparing to move to be closer to your new job, without hesitation, but that you can stick around for this current job if it's a better fit.

What you don't want to do is show your hand: Don't complain about the contract position, don't let them know that you're hesitant to move. You probably should let them know that you're excited about the company, the career opportunity, and the work they're doing, but just leave the personal life preferences out of the conversation as much as possible.

Leaving a contract position on short notice isn't a big deal, nor is it uncommon. You don't owe them anything. It's just business. It's very unlikely to have any negative career or network effects for you, either.

11 hours ago, Construct said:

To be blunt, they probably gave you a contract position because they could tell they were holding all of the cards in that negotiation. If you're already between jobs and they figured out that you were willing to jump through hoops to commute long distance to interview there, they probably realized you'd take a contract offer.

In this next interview, I'd suggest that you take this angle: Tell the interviewers that you're mostly happy with your current position. Let them know you're open to new opportunities, and you're particularly interested in what this new company does. Explain that you're preparing to move to be closer to your new job, without hesitation, but that you can stick around for this current job if it's a better fit.

What you don't want to do is show your hand: Don't complain about the contract position, don't let them know that you're hesitant to move. You probably should let them know that you're excited about the company, the career opportunity, and the work they're doing, but just leave the personal life preferences out of the conversation as much as possible.

Leaving a contract position on short notice isn't a big deal, nor is it uncommon. You don't owe them anything. It's just business. It's very unlikely to have any negative career or network effects for you, either.

The thing is, this is how I handle my interviews in the first place.  I inform them that currently I'm working on continuing education (which I am) and that I'm looking to get back to the lab if the circumstances are right and the company and the work they do interests me.  I think I've used the phrase "looking for the right fit but not going to reach for something that won't be good for both parties".

And my employment had nothing to do directly with Smuckers.  It had everything to do with a third party recruitment agency so pretty much none of the factors surrounding the employment were negotiable in this case.  In my interview tomorrow, I'll be in a much better spot as it's an interview for a real job.  I swear, of all the interviews I've had in this whole process, 90+ percent of them have been through staffing agencies for either contract or contract to hire.  It just seems like that's how a lot of companies are going nowadays.  Either forcing you into contract work so you can get shitty staffing company benefits (and they're really, really bad) or trialing you through the contract to hire route.  The benefits through astrix were so bad I told the recruiter that I hoped for her sake that the benefits they offered me weren't the ones they gave their actual employees.

So I just sent an email canceling my contract for Monday.

I'm taking a gamble but this is one of those nothing ventured, nothing gained situations.  My phone interview went well.  It was obvious they were screening me to figure out where I would be put in their seniority hierarchy.  It was also with the director of R&D and one of the senior managers, which put me on edge as that's a lot of pressure and higher titles than I normally interview with.

They asked me questions regarding aspects of the position that is the most senior currently available.  I honestly don't have the experience for it but I do have experience that would put me mid-senior level and they asked me if I'd be interested in that.  I told them I would.  At the end of the call, I asked them what the process would be moving forward if they had interest and they asked me when I'd be free for an onsite interview.  They also told me their HR people would contact me and I should expect a 5-6 hour interview process.

So there's no fucking way that they tell me how long the interview would be and tell me their HR will contact me to discuss scheduling unless they're wanting to move forward.

It puts me in a bad spot because I have to cancel my contract but I can't fucking go there next week, ask for an unpaid personal day the same week I start to go interview for a job that will likely be offered to me starting a couple of weeks later.  It's bad faith if I do that.  Sure, there's a possibility of me totally shitting myself at the interview but I can't start Smucker's in such a way knowing that I'll likely be leaving almost immediately after starting.  It'll be easier for them to contact their #2 who will probably be able to start either this next week or the week after.  They'll lose way less time this way than if I show up and pretend nothing is happening behind the scenes.

If it does all fall to shit, I can just drive for amazon flex and keep looking for a few weeks because I can clear about 700 bucks a week doing that.  More than I make now via unemployment.  Almost double it, actually.

I feel like the biggest shitbag on the planet though.  Even though I shouldn't.  This is just life.  I am not looking forward to the follow-up email or phone call I get from the recruiter.  Mostly because she seems like she might be a decent person and I know this makes her look bad.  That's where my guilt is centered.  But I also know some recruiters personally and they're the fakest mother fuckers on the planet.  So she's probably like that as I think it's just part of that job.

Big risk, but I agree with the reasoning (I'd probably cancel the contract or ask for a week's delay, too). Sucks to bail, but I'd take these interviews over a shit contract any day, so fuck them.

1 hour ago, Emperor G_D said:

Big risk, but I agree with the reasoning (I'd probably cancel the contract or ask for a week's delay, too). Sucks to bail, but I'd take these interviews over a shit contract any day, so fuck them.

The shitty part is that I already asked for a week's delay so that was kind of off the table.  I'm freaking out big time about the risk of losing employment but if I can get a job with this place, it's better in about 1000 different ways than what I was offered.

I guess part of me also doesn't wanna become some kind of transient employee with no benefits, no real status and no hope for building an actual future.  Maybe that's stupid of me but it's what I feel and I think I'm worth that.

On a note unrelated to my job search, I think I'm feeling good enough to go back to working out.  I have been good enough for 3-4 weeks now but you know, I'm lazy.

I may upload some form videos for you fuckboxes to look at and tell me why I can't seem to stay unhurt. 

I'm still blaming the laundry basket but looking at all potential sources of injury is a good idea.  If you'd like, I can show you form of that too but I know it's trash.  I bend over on one leg like a golfer picking up a ball after a successful putt, have a rounded back and in some cases, am probably rotating my trunk to some degree.  But it's a fucking laundry basket, you know?

Anyway, look for that journey starting tomorrow or sometime soonish.

In the meantime, here's a picture of my dog Elvis harassing me when I was trying to eat some organic southwestern style potato salad.  That's what's in my left hand behind the pillow.  It's not relevant to anything here, but he's very handsome and thought I'd make this place happier than it usually is.

Elvis and I.jpg

Honestly doing the exercises naked for the camera really isn't a bad idea. It's hard to guage squat angles and things with clothes in the way.

And if your dick doesn't sink in after you pause on your bench press, it's a sign that there was no leg drive.

9 hours ago, Burton said:

Not exactly news.

1. Ras is gay for everyone.

2.  Everyone is either gay for me or don't know of me yet.

So yeah, tell me something I don't already know.

I like a man who does housework even if he injures himself doing it.

Monthly update:

Had my interview, told me it'd be about 2 weeks until I hear.  Tomorrow is 2 weeks so I'm gonna send off an email around noon time.

If that doesn't pan out, I have a phone interview tomorrow morning for another job.  If that doesn't go anywhere, I think I'm just gonna say fuck it and pick up a manual labor type job as I'm losing my fucking shit being unemployed.  Maybe construction or warehouse work to tide me over.

I think the interview went well so I'm thinking 50/50 as far as chances go.  It'd be a good job.  We discussed benefits, bonuses, random perks (gym reimbursement, etc) and it'd be a good deal.  Of the 10 people I spoke to, I only had one gaffe during a joint interview and it wasn't with the director or senior managers.  It was mostly a result of fatigue as it was during my 4th interview and I was being interviewed by a really intense Chinese girl and a silent Indian woman, both PhDs.  The Chinese one asked me 30 minutes of technical questions with literally zero small talk/personableness.  It didn't bother me or anything but after about 25 minutes, my brain went to mush and answered something 100% backward/totally wrong that I knew the answer to.

In case anyone wondered, she asked me if she gave me a pKa of 5-6, what should the mobile phase pH be.  I for some reason told her the same value, about 5.  In case anyone cares, I'm looking at you @mwarren the answer is about 2 pH units lower for acidic compounds.  So it should be 3-4 to facilitate ion suppression and lead to greater column retention.  Anyway, something I knew, just went full dumbshit on.  I don't feel great about that and it quite frankly made me look like an idiot.  But at least when she asked me if you could use phosphates as a mobile phase additive for mass spec, I correctly told her no and I was able to explain the random logistical matters relating to testing via GLP standards.  So that's gotta count for something I suppose?

All things considered, if that's the worst I did, I like my chances.  But I'm still not getting my hopes up since the last time I did that, I was shot down as the candidate in the final two who didn't get picked.

Also, been riding bike.  Keeping the plantar fasciitis at bay as best I'm able.  It still flares up mostly in the AM or during the ends of periods of activity but stretching is keeping me okay-ish.

I keep telling myself I'm gonna start lifting again but at this point, I'm not sure if that's anything more than empty promises I'm making to myself.  I hope not as I remember really enjoying it.

Squata completely keep my plantar fasciitis away. I think it's because of the stretch in my calves at the bottom, or maybe because of actively engaging my foot during. Not sure. Maybe both.

I have this same theory that it would help.  I told Adrienne that I have never had issues the entire time I've been squatting.  And once i stopped?  Bam, constant plantar fasciitis.  I do believe it's from the strengthening of the muscles and tendons in the foot from planting and spreading the floor.

One more reason to take my fat ass back.

Do it. Go get swole. You can keep doing the cardio too, though.

You don't have to do a crazy lifting program right now, either. Something simple like 5x5 or even 3x8-12 on a few big compound movements would help get you back in the game.

Hmm. Interesting note about PF and squatting. 

FTR, I never had PF during my heavy squat days, but I have it now. Hurts like a motherfucker in the AM, and at the end of the day after lazing about.

It doesn't seem to require much resistance (if any) to get the benefits out of some squats. I think even a few minutes of sitting in a BW squat could do the trick.

On 3/13/2019 at 1:44 PM, Burton said:

Monthly update:

Had my interview, told me it'd be about 2 weeks until I hear.  Tomorrow is 2 weeks so I'm gonna send off an email around noon time.

If that doesn't pan out, I have a phone interview tomorrow morning for another job.  If that doesn't go anywhere, I think I'm just gonna say fuck it and pick up a manual labor type job as I'm losing my fucking shit being unemployed.  Maybe construction or warehouse work to tide me over.

I think the interview went well so I'm thinking 50/50 as far as chances go.  It'd be a good job.  We discussed benefits, bonuses, random perks (gym reimbursement, etc) and it'd be a good deal.  Of the 10 people I spoke to, I only had one gaffe during a joint interview and it wasn't with the director or senior managers.  It was mostly a result of fatigue as it was during my 4th interview and I was being interviewed by a really intense Chinese girl and a silent Indian woman, both PhDs.  The Chinese one asked me 30 minutes of technical questions with literally zero small talk/personableness.  It didn't bother me or anything but after about 25 minutes, my brain went to mush and answered something 100% backward/totally wrong that I knew the answer to.

In case anyone wondered, she asked me if she gave me a pKa of 5-6, what should the mobile phase pH be.  I for some reason told her the same value, about 5.  In case anyone cares, I'm looking at you @mwarren the answer is about 2 pH units lower for acidic compounds.  So it should be 3-4 to facilitate ion suppression and lead to greater column retention.  Anyway, something I knew, just went full dumbshit on.  I don't feel great about that and it quite frankly made me look like an idiot.  But at least when she asked me if you could use phosphates as a mobile phase additive for mass spec, I correctly told her no and I was able to explain the random logistical matters relating to testing via GLP standards.  So that's gotta count for something I suppose?

All things considered, if that's the worst I did, I like my chances.  But I'm still not getting my hopes up since the last time I did that, I was shot down as the candidate in the final two who didn't get picked.

Also, been riding bike.  Keeping the plantar fasciitis at bay as best I'm able.  It still flares up mostly in the AM or during the ends of periods of activity but stretching is keeping me okay-ish.

I keep telling myself I'm gonna start lifting again but at this point, I'm not sure if that's anything more than empty promises I'm making to myself.  I hope not as I remember really enjoying it.

Because you've probably used acidic analytes without buffering the solution in the past and had perfectly fine peaks in your results. Then had a brain fart. Christ, I dunno.

But did you hear anything?

7 hours ago, mwarren said:

Because you've probably used acidic analytes without buffering the solution in the past and had perfectly fine peaks in your results. Then had a brain fart. Christ, I dunno.

But did you hear anything?

Emailed them yesterday and they haven't bothered to get back to me yet.

Also yeah, that's probably right.  I used to do just fine not buffering most solutions that had either basic or acidic analytes.  Yeah, I had to with some but it still doesn't change the fact that I'm technically "wrong" since practical experience doesn't always follow what the textbook says.