Burton

Liftin' weights and other shit

On 5/4/2019 at 10:28 PM, Emperor G_D said:

One of the questions I always ask my interviewers is "In what ways could my hiring help you achieve success in the eyes of your manager"?

I think it's a clincher every time. Or at least I tell myself it is.

That's good. That's really good. Especially for an independent type position. I'm going to use that shit.

Howdy gang:

Got my offer officially on Tuesday.  Not great but not terrible either.  Low 50s with a 10% bonus in addition to a profit sharing at the end of the year which would be deposited directly into my retirement account.  Which is nice since I'm currently working on building up a sizeable 401k balance as a major life goal.

Plus a company car so I guess you'd call that another ~5k/year so in the end, it's low-mid 60s in a practical sense.  The car thing is nice as my car is just about on its last leg and beyond the point of getting any use out of fixing it.  Saves me a car payment so it's definitely another 5k/year.  I'd probably feel different about that if I currently had a car payment but I don't so I guess that's just how it is.  I'm pretty happy with the purchase of my car, got it in September of 2005 and I'm gonna retire it in the summer of 2019.  If I could have that kind of car luck the rest of my life, I'd be thrilled.

Start on the 28th so it'll be nice to have real benefits and shit again.

Anyway, updates and shit, so there.

Skipped the gym last week and this because my biking program is at the peak of intensity and volume.  I'm thinking about maybe riding in pelotonia this year.  It's a fundraiser for the OSU cancer hospital.  I'm not 100% sure that I'm in good enough of shape or that I could get there but I'm gonna let that one roll around in my head and do it if I think I could get in good enough shape by then.  It's only 84 more days so it's not likely and may have to be a goal for next year.  The only gripe is that there's a heavy fundraising requirement that they take directly from your bank account (which you have to give on signup) if you don't hit it.  The shortest ride of 25 miles is 1250 and the longest ride of 200 miles is 3k.  That's a heavy commitment to be under with the lack of certainty that I could even hit it as I'm not a hugely popular guy with a lot of generous friends.

Went to my first day at my fancy new job today.  Seems like it'll be cool.  You know, if you're into that stupid science bullshit.

Gonna be learning a bit of shit by shadowing in the Columbus area this week and then in house training for 2 weeks after that followed by another 4-8 weeks of shadowing.  Then I get to be released into the world to fuck shit up on my own.  If I ever come near any of your towns, we should hang out (no homo).  Or some homo.  Really, however much homo you need to make it work for you is fine.

18 hours ago, mwarren said:

If you're ever within 45 miles of Battle Creek, MI, do hit me up

Why is it called Battle Creek? What battle was fought there?

This is what teh Wiki says:

Battle Creek was named for a minor encounter on March 14, 1824, between a federal government land survey party led by Colonel John Mullett and two Potawatomi Indians, who had approached the survey camp asking for food. They were hungry because the Army was late in delivering the supplies promised them by the treaty of 1820. After a protracted discussion, the Native Americans allegedly tried to steal food. One of the surveyors grabbed his rifle and shot one of the Potawatomies, seriously wounding him. Following the encounter, the surveyors retreated to Detroit.

Yep, the story of early America.

It's funny that they shot him and then retreated.  Super manly and strong.

Yea I think that story is made up lol. I've heard a few. I don't think there's really any good reason for the name other than it sounds like something interesting might have happened here once.

I think we should have held onto the cereal thing longer. Nobody gives a shit about that anymore. Other cities used to call us the cereal city until the 00s. Now they call us "little Detroit" because of the rampant drugs and obesity.

10 minutes ago, mwarren said:

Yea I think that story is made up lol. I've heard a few. I don't think there's really any good reason for the name other than it sounds like something interesting might have happened here once.

I think we should have held onto the cereal thing longer. Nobody gives a shit about that anymore. Other cities used to call us the cereal city until the 00s. Now they call us "little Detroit" because of the rampant drugs and obesity.

They should call it "Creek full of used AIDS needles".  Has a nice ring to it.

And unless your city makes count chocula, I am 100% not interested in your cereal city status.  If anything I think that makes your title fraudulent

Good news my harem of homos:

I'm on my first trip for work this week so I've got spare time.

I think I'm gonna do some minor exercise tonight.  It'll be the hotel gym but I guess I've gotta start somewhere.  My company offers a corporate discount for lifetime fitness so I need to get that info since those fucking places are in every town.

2 hours ago, mwarren said:

Lifetime Fitness may be your savior.

It's either lifetime or LA.  I can't actually recall which one

I did some light shit last night.  Some db press, tricep pushdowns and some skullcrushers with DBs.

Also, lifetime is a thing.  It exists around here.  They're supposed to be pretty nice.  I think it also depends a lot on which neighborhood you're in.

https://www.lifetime.life/

It really matters most which gym he'll be able to get to most consistently. Nazis or not. Might have to make due with whatever McGym is on his routes the most.