Jump to content
Burton

Liftin' weights and other shit

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, Construct said:

That's a nice deal from your friend. I'm interested to follow along with your workout program

 

He's very old and broken like me so I think he'll write a good program for my specific geriatric needs.  I haven't talked to him in forever so we're gonna catch up and do some game planning tonight.

 

I told him I'd like to start with some movement pattern work and some moderate lifting so we'll see what happens.  He's also the type with the same tendencies as me wrt intensity but I think between the two of us we can keep it in check if we're mindful of it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been doing a lot of cardio this last week.  Feeling good to get moving again.

 

My buddy sent me the first two weeks of what he's wanting me to do.

 

It's a good intro back.  Lots of compound exercises that will help to start building me back up with sets in the 2x8-10 range with RPEs around 5-6.

 

Stuff like RDL, Hack Squats, Regular squats, incline and flat  DB presses and some core work

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did my first night.

 

It was 2 sets of 8 or 10 at a moderate effort of the following

 

1.  Single Leg extensions

2.  Single leg curls

3.  Squats

4.  Was supposed to be hack squats but I lack ankle mobility to do them

5. BB Romanian DL

6.  Reverse lunges

7.  Goblet squats

8.  Plank x 2 @ 30 seconds

 

Good workout, took about 45 minutes even with waiting on a squat rack for a couple minutes.

 

Was a little ambitious with some of the weights so I have to dial it back and stop going off old memories.  Time to humble myself with 10-25 lbs on the bar for squats.  Haven't had that feeling since middle school.  It's gonna be a ride, that's for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's my other two workouts from this week:

 

Workout 2:

 

Reverse Pec Deck 40, 50 2 10
DB Shrugs 60, 60 2 10
BB Rows 70, 90 2 10
Cable Up-Right Rows 30, 25 2 10
Seated Cable Rows 110, 100 2 10
Machine Shoulder Press 50, 40 2 10
Lat-Pull Down       90, 110 2 10
Plank   2 30 seconds

 

Workout 3:

 

Pec Dec 70, 70 2 10
BB Flat Bench 95, 145 2 10
DB Inline Press 35, 40 2 10
DB Incline Flyes 20, 20 2 10
DB Flat Press 50, 40 2 10
Machine Press 60, 80 2 10
Tricep Pressdowns 55, 45 2 10
Plank   2

30 seconds

 

 

It was a good week.  My body feels nice to be doing shit again and I don't feel beaten down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was sick as fuck past week, am gonna go back starting tomorrow for my "second" week.  I really liked my gym I was going to with Adrienne but it's one of those "nice" type places like LA fitness.  In spite of how nice they are, they make me uncomfortable and make me seek out scary, dark places with loud metal playing.  So I'm gonna check out a place near me Wednesday to see how it feels.  It looks super nice and it's 4 min from my house and on my way home from work.

 

Also, I finally broke down and went to a sports med doctor for the muscle fatigue and generally fuckiness of my right back/lat.  The doc is a good one at OSU who is one of those fancy top 10% in the nation doctors.

 

We went through all the motions and he kinda did what chiropractors do but while being a real doctor.  He moved me around and pushed me and shit in just about every part of my back.

 

Ended up with his diagnosis being that I had two vertebrae in my thoracic spine that had somehow got out of place and in addition it had dislocated one of my ribs.  So he squeezed the fuck out out of me and put it back in place.

 

Told me to keep being active, see how it felt over the next two to three weeks and if I had any more issues to give them a call.  Told me with most people it only takes one time but every once in a while it can take a couple of appointments and some imaging to make sure there's nothing else as an underlying cause.

 

It hurts a bit today because of you know, having my shit moved around on the inside.  But it also feels better so I'm looking forward to getting back to doing shit.

 

Anyway, that's life

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like how you simultaneously shit all over chiropractors while a doctor with the same amount of schooling (and likely as much training in physical ailments) as a chiropractor did exactly what a chiropractor would have done to you, and most likely with as much efficacy and effectiveness.

 

HTH you're better and feeling good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Emperor G_D said:

I like how you simultaneously shit all over chiropractors while a doctor with the same amount of schooling (and likely as much training in physical ailments) as a chiropractor did exactly what a chiropractor would have done to you, and most likely with as much efficacy and effectiveness.

 

HTH you're better and feeling good.

 

I know all of that.

 

I have a long standing issue with chiropractors because every one I've ever been to has presented the following treatment plan: I'm gonna do this thing.  Come back in two days for me to do this thing again.  And we're gonna do that 3 days a week for the rest of your life.  Granted I've only been to 3 in my life but it's peculiar that all 3 of them presented that option to me.

 

The only thing they were interested in treating was the problem of me having 150 extra dollars a week in co-pays.b if they don't wanna be considered fake doctors looking to skim money out of your wallet forever, they should stop doing that so often.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Burton said:

 

I know all of that.

 

I have a long standing issue with chiropractors because every one I've ever been to has presented the following treatment plan: I'm gonna do this thing.  Come back in two days for me to do this thing again.  And we're gonna do that 3 days a week for the rest of your life.  Granted I've only been to 3 in my life but it's peculiar that all 3 of them presented that option to me.

 

The only thing they were interested in treating was the problem of me having 150 extra dollars a week in co-pays.

 

 

 

That's no different than MDs, tbh. "Take his pill, let me charge your insurance $293 for the 5 minutes I spent with you. If that pill doesn't work, let's have another $300 office visit so I can Rx you another pill that can counter your side effects, and let me know if we need yet another office visit after that." Well, different in that a Chiropractor can't bill $300 for an office visit and mostly gets paid about $18-30 for a visit in total-not counting your copay.

 

So yeah, volume drives the business, but good chiropractors fix you and get you out of your rotation in a few weeks. 

 

My beef is with magical chiropractors. The ones that use woo to sell products or services...you know the famous example of fixing an ear infection in a baby by adjusting the mother... Fuck those fucks. Also, fuck the anti-vaxxer chiros, too (which FTR would have included my mother).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Emperor G_D said:

 

That's no different than MDs, tbh. "Take his pill, let me charge your insurance $293 for the 5 minutes I spent with you. If that pill doesn't work, let's have another $300 office visit so I can Rx you another pill that can counter your side effects, and let me know if we need yet another office visit after that." Well, different in that a Chiropractor can't bill $300 for an office visit and mostly gets paid about $18-30 for a visit in total-not counting your copay.

 

So yeah, volume drives the business, but good chiropractors fix you and get you out of your rotation in a few weeks. 

 

My beef is with magical chiropractors. The ones that use woo to sell products or services...you know the famous example of fixing an ear infection in a baby by adjusting the mother... Fuck those fucks. Also, fuck the anti-vaxxer chiros, too (which FTR would have included my mother).

 

It should be noted that I have no issues with other people going to chiropractors but it just hasn't seemed to be for me.

 

My experience has also been overwhelmingly positive with sports med doctors.

 

So, you know, we all have our preferences I reckon.  Non sense in us getting mouthy with each other.

 

And yeah, fuck baby chiropractors with a dick made of pitchforks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Burton said:

 

It should be noted that I have no issues with other people going to chiropractors but it just hasn't seemed to be for me.

 

My experience has also been overwhelmingly positive with sports med doctors.

 

So, you know, we all have our preferences I reckon.  Non sense in us getting mouthy with each other.

 

And yeah, fuck baby chiropractors with a dick made of pitchforks

 

I'm not being mouthy, just being real with you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Emperor G_D said:

 

I'm not being mouthy, just being real with you. 

 

Yeah, okay.  Good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a workout today.  First time in a bit.  Joined a proper serious gym again after regular bar squats almost broke me.  I've been looking for a second job and applied to a front desk job with the gym I'm leaving, actually.  Easy work and if I get 20 hours a week it'd be nice to have the extra cash.

 

They've got a SSB and a transformer bar so I just did some light weight squats (bar only) and the rest of my accessory stuff.  Only other thing of note is some Romanian deads.

 

Movements felt good.  Back is still a bit fucked up from getting it fixed but it's getting better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...