Ras

What did you cook today?

6 hours ago, Emperor G_D said:

What are you doing in Bali, @((Vibe))?

I was there in December. I don't make a ton of money, but one perk of my job is that my department has a meeting every 3 years at one of our other plants. This most recent year the meeting was near Jakarta, Indonesia.  A flight from Jakarta to Bali only cost ~$70 and the Mrs has always wanted to go there so it was a huge blessing. My ticket was mostly paid for and her round trip flight was only ~$800.

Once there, everything is dirt cheap. A really nice private villa was only $20-70 USD and that usually included your own pool and someone coming over in the morning to make you breakfast.  Breakfast from a street vendor was $0.80 USD, and that was probably an inflated price because I was a foreigner.

I crammed 2 weeks of clothes into a backpack (including business clothes lol) and once there we just wandered around following our noses and trying different restaurants, eating street food and checking out different villas and negotiating prices. Not having anything planned sounds stressful, but it was really care free and relaxing. 

Our favorite part of traveling is experiencing new food. She made a collage with some of the food pics once we got back. Lol

If we had more money and less kids we would travel a lot more often than every 3 years lol.

IMG_1728.thumb.JPG.b984f801c1a46654c1c982b9e9dc4acb.JPG

IMG_1578.JPG

Bali is amazing. Everything is unbelievably cheap there. My wife and I rented a private villa just like yours when we visited Bali.

I probably double-checked the exchange rate on the internet 10 different times during that trip, because I couldn't believe how cheap everything was. I think we spent more on airfare than we did on the rest of our time there.

I walked to a local market every day and bought every fruit and vegetable I'd never tried before. I never saw a snakefruit, though.

On 2/10/2019 at 7:08 PM, Construct said:

Bali is amazing. Everything is unbelievably cheap there. My wife and I rented a private villa just like yours when we visited Bali.

I probably double-checked the exchange rate on the internet 10 different times during that trip, because I couldn't believe how cheap everything was. I think we spent more on airfare than we did on the rest of our time there.

I walked to a local market every day and bought every fruit and vegetable I'd never tried before. I never saw a snakefruit, though.

Heck yeah! Gotta love how strong the American dollar is. 😃

We purposely planned a long layover in Singapore on the way back so we would have 24 hours to wander around and check it out as well. It was kind of the opposite of Bali, very developed, and crazy high taxes meant everything was really expensive (beer and cigarettes were several times more expensive and there is a 100% tax on cars, for instance).  We actually cut our day there short and went back to the airport because it was so expensive lol.

But we did find some good food while there by asking our cab driver to take us where the locals would go to eat. He took us to what more or less resembled a long flea market with lots of store fronts/restaurants along the side. The food there has Thai, Indian and Malaysian food influences. I usually don't even like bread, but I still want to make some Roti Prata (Indian flat bread) like we had there.

On 2/10/2019 at 9:01 PM, Construct said:

Are you going to reproduce any of those dishes from your cooking class, @((Vibe))?

To be honest I am a foodie, but the wife probably does 97.4% of the cooking.

I am not sure what all she will incorporate into her "culinary toolbox." But she has been making curry a lot lately (vs never making it lol). She actually dropped a jar of some leftover curry in the kitchen the other day and several hours later when I came home I could smell it from inside the garage with the door shut.😆

Singapore's economy is a mystery to me. Everything there is unreasonably expensive.

Almost half of the home loans in Singapore were for terms longer than 30 years, before they capped the terms a few years ago. Mortgages longer than 30 years are almost unheard of in most places. The 100% car tax on top of the already-high car prices and constant car fees mean that vehicles are basically luxury items.

I'm with you on this: The big cities in that region aren't as enjoyable to visit as. Bangkok was equally uninteresting after spending time in smaller cities in Thailand. Now I just stick to the more interesting remote destinations and minimize my time in major cities.

3 hours ago, Ras said:

Is that pullet quasi-spatchcocked?

No, although I can see how it looks like it. I just didn't bother trussing it.

IMG_20190327_134735.thumb.jpg.8a2604ec9de206cd629e8e03b848b27e.jpgI made this the other day.  It's quite tasty and represents a "usual" lunch for me.

Chicken-Marinated in garlic, olive oil, pineapple juice, lime juice, and cilantro.  For between 24 and 48 hours.  Cooked like usual and shit.

Salsa-Lime Juice, a bit of red onion, pineapple, avocado, pineapple juice until happy with the consistency.  Drink a bit of the pineapple juice because it's fucking tasty.

Broccoli and Hummus.  Pine nut hummus in this case.

Naan Bread-Roasted garlic and hummus.

Glass of milk.

it's all very good.  basic but this is what I"ve been putting in my food hole.

Eat at my desk because I'm still trying to learn python.  It's going well and I got over my initial hurdles.  Think I'm gonna try to maybe start grad school this fall.  Possibly winter at the latest.

Lately I've been cooking up burger patties (lean ground beef) and then mixing them in with rice and a veggie of some type. This has become the Kimbo Standard Meal. I current up the seasonings, and sometimes I'll use veggie pasta instead of rice, but it mostly stays the same. I don't really seem to tire it this combo, and it's quick and easy.

I had a drink at a coffee place recently they called a Matchai Pichu. It's chai, matcha, and espresso mixed together. It sounds like a mess, but it's become one of my favorite coffee/tea drinks now.

On 4/14/2019 at 11:27 AM, Kimbo said:

Lately I've been cooking up burger patties (lean ground beef) and then mixing them in with rice and a veggie of some type. This has become the Kimbo Standard Meal. I current up the seasonings, and sometimes I'll use veggie pasta instead of rice, but it mostly stays the same. I don't really seem to tire it this combo, and it's quick and easy.

This has been some basis of my meals for some time, too. RP Diet, and Vertical Diet would approve.

18 hours ago, Emperor G_D said:

This has been some basis of my meals for some time, too. RP Diet, and Vertical Diet would approve.

I got the idea for it from the Vertical Diet. I don't follow it, but the combo of rice + burger + other stuff is pretty fantastic.