Growth Factor

GF's "CS Goes Pubic" Log

Hey, guys. I thought I'd start a new log here, in part as homage to a new page in life but also since I'll be starting somewhat from scratch. 

It's been about a year since I stopped training regularly (last training day was that infamously skipped arms day) and about 5-6 since I last lifted any kind of weights. I started back at the gym, equipped with preworkout to help motivate me after a long day at work, and hope to gain back a lot of the strength I've lost. Where I go from there is still a mystery. 

Last weeks accomplishments:

Bench

Week 1: 185 for sets of 5

Week 2: 225 for a single set of 5

Doing CGBP, lat pulldowns to gain back some back strength, and shallow incline DB flys and high incline DB curls for opening up my thoracic more as well as building some muscle and healthy ROM

Doesnt hurt me yet

Squat

Week 1: Sets of 5 up to 205 for sets of 5, lol. Hamstrings cramped a ton

Week 2: Sets of 3 up to 295 for a set of 3, then ramp down sets. Using leg curls and ab wheel to develop some weak spots for now

Good form so far

OHP

Week 1: Up to 115 for sets of 5

Week 2: Up to 135 for sets of 5. Using dip machine (probably change out for pushups/weighted pushups), DB rows, lying banded external rotations, and hammer curls to develop some weak spots and support healthy RCs

Good form, feels good on shoulders

Deadlift

Week 1: Up to 455x1. The deadlift is loyal, as always. Using speed deadlifts, glute bridges and ab work to develop weak spots. 

I have deadlift week 2 coming up. As I develop my work capacity I may add/change exercises, like swap leg curls for GHR, maybe add another squat variation exercise, variate my back work on upper body days, and possibly add either goodmornings or rows to my deadlift day. 

If you held on to 225x5 bench and 455x1 DL after a year's hiatus... You're doing pretty fucking good.

Technically, I held on to a 185x5 bench. Interestingly, and I am pulling this out of my ass and very foggy memory, I vaguely recall research showing how after a 6 (or 12?) month layover you should still have about 50% of your strength. I think the 185 would correspond very well with that number. But as I said it's been a while since I've read this research. I think it's actually somewhere on the forum. 

The deadlift was nuts, though. While I had dabbled in upper body work up until March, that was a lift I actually hadn't done since September. I went in feeling entitled to 3 plates, and wishful about maybe grinding out a 400. 

16/09/21

DEADLIFT

DEADLIFT

225x3,3

315x3

365x3 <-- hard, used full overhand grip, grip was slipping leading to shaky form. Also, though I'm resting bar on floor I'm not resetting form. I personally need to reset everything, moving forward

405x3 <-- reset every rep, much better form, and the weight felt better. Used hook grip

SPEED DEADLIFT

320x12x1 <-- 20 seconds between singles

BB GLUTE BRIDGES

255x3x10 

Probably should have stuck with same weight as last week and done more sets to accumulate work capacity, but I'm happy with the increased weight and volume

SL AB CRUNCHES

BWx3x10

As usual, I'm also doing my warmups before lifting. 

For upper body, it's banded lat stretches, forearm stretch, trap stretch, bicep stretch, pec wall stretch, SMR on pec with LXC while doing IR/ERs, and small and wide arm circles with 5lb dbs.

For lower body, I do super squat hip sequence preworkout, lower back stretch routine, and most of the same upper body warmup minus the lacross ball and arm circles. 

On off days I've been doing limber 11.

16/09/23

BENCH

PAUSED BENCH

95x5

135x5

165x3

185x3

205x3

225x3

245x3

CGBP

175x3x10

INCLINE DB FLYS

20x3x12

WG LAT PULLDOWNS

150x12,11,9,9,9

INCLINE DB CURLS superset TRICEP EXTENSIONS superset FACEPULLS

25x10,10,9

25x20,20,18

red bandx20,15,15

Very happy. I have a weird tightness in my left lat, same side I've traditionally had my shoulder pain. Besides the tight lat my shoulder feels great. I'm way overdue for a chiro, so I'll ask about this next time I see him. Bench is feeling much more explosive now. 

Yeah, rebound strength is such a great thing. I'm happy with the equally quick body composition changes I'm seeing, too. Granted, a substantial amount of it is due to losing bloat/water weight from being in such a high caloric surplus for so long (ate an average of 4.8 medium pizzas and brownie cookies a week for ... a while). I'd guess that I'm between 18-20% bf. My arms are looking much better, too, like I maybe go to the gym. 

I'm thinking about running a 6 week cycle before any kind of deload. Might ramp down the weights and do some 5-3 rep work again, build back up, and go for a clean max attempt on most of my lifts in another 3-4 weeks. We'll see how things go for now. 

EDIT: training cycle, not supplement cycle

16/09/25

SQUAT

Warmup: banded lat stretch, super squat hip sequence pre, low back routine, forearm, trap, bicep, and chest stretch

SSB SQUAT

155x5

205x5

245x5

295x1

added belt

315x3,3,3 <-- good form, great depth. Upper back rounded on first set last rep, but this was fixed in subsequent sets

245x10 <-- RIP legs

LYING LEG CURL

110x12,12,10

AB WHEEL

Kneelingx8,6,4

Very good squat workout today. My legs are already feeling it. It was great to handle 315 once again after so long. I didn't know what I was going to do with it, and I ideally wanted to do 3 sets of 3 but didn't know if it would feel too heavy or if my form would hold up. Since it did, I went for it. Almost chickened out with the rep-out set, but I dug in and did it. Decided to skip trying out the leg press and stick with leg curls and finish with ab work. The stupid ab wheel was too tough again to do much, but at least I did more than last week.

I am noticing some breathing problems when I take very deep breaths. I may have to visit my allergist for some lung function tests and maybe see if I should run an inhaler for a little while. 

Yeah, I'm thrilled that it is. Somewhere on my way warming up I started reverting to my shit form of squatting (ass out, arching lower back) and had to remind myself to always engage the glutes, first and foremost. Im glad the form and depth havent disappeared with all this time off.

I think that coming back from a layoff gives you a good opportunity to really nail down the form before the weight gets heavy again.

I think that coming back from a layoff gives you a good opportunity to really nail down the form before the weight gets heavy again.

I think there's some truth to that, especially for movements that we really did have to learn from scratch, like the squat for me. But in the past, I've had problems returning to the bench and having to relearn the groove after a layoff. But I guess with all my spine problems in the past and my extra careful attention and note-taking during that period, I have a lot of cues that helped me pick it all back up quickly.

Was it always "pubic" in the title?

Intended

16/09/26

OHP

Warmup: lat, trap, forearm, bicep, chest stretch, LXC on chest with ER/IR, lying banded ER x15, small and wide arm circles with 5lb DBs x 10 each way

OHP

45x5

95x5

115x3

135x3

155x2

145x4,4

115x6

DIP MACHINE

10x12

12x12

14x12,12

LYING BANDED ERs

redx15,15,10

CHEST SUPPORTED DB ROWS

75x15,15,15

Stopped workout here. Clearly feeling an impingement in my trap. Gonna really try to see my chiro tomorrow before deadlifting. If I cant make an appt I'll push deadlifts to Thurs and see them Wednesday. Things felt good until right before I started my rows. 

16/09/28

DEADLIFT

Warmup: banded lat stretch, super squat hip sequence pre, low back pre, forearm, trap, bicep, and chest stretch

5-PIN RACK PULLS (~2" off floor)

135x5

225x4

315x4

405x6

335x10

SPEED DEADLIFTS

340x15x1 <-- 20 secs between singles

BB GLUTE BRIDGE

245x3x10

Had to truncate my session tonight. I have a meeting early morning tomorrow, and I had to stay at work very late, so I had to cut corners. I also didn't want to put it off until tomorrow - it was either work out or game, and I didnt feel like doing the latter. I was going to do 4 or 5 sets of the glute bridges and then some ab work, but this is it. Anyways, very pleased with the workout. Those 5 pin rack pulls are an absolute monster to handle. My glutes and hamstrings were screaming throughout. Glad I went with that rather than hitting a double. I think this sets me up such that I might do deficits next week, a double the following week, and then try for a heavy single again before a sort of deload.