Growth Factor

GF's "CS Goes Pubic" Log

God damn, why does my log keep filling up with all this cock?

Cocks, dismissed!

Anyways, like I said, I just began a deload.

BENCH C1W6

DB BENCH superset CHEST DB ROW

80x10,12,12,12,12

80x10,10,10,10,10

EZ CURLS superset SEATED EZ SKULLCRUSHER

70x3x10

70x3x12

FACEPULLS

3x15

Kept it light and made it fast. I had to squeeze the gym in between work and a concert that evening, so it worked out well that it was a deload day. Doing some deadlifting today, and since it's a deload and Gold's doesnt have a GHR, I might do some GHR and maybe KB swings today after some light deads. 

DEADLIFT C1W6

DEADLIFT

225x5,5

315x4,4,4

GHR

BWx4x10

KB SWINGS

45#x20

50#x20

2x35#x20,20,20

Don't have anything heavier than a 50lb here, and heaviest kb with a partnering kb were the 35s....

SEATED CABLE ROW

200x10,10 <-- felt weird on my abs and hip flexors, so I stopped

HANGING VUP

BWx10,10

On a deload, so I kept things light. The GHRs were particularly easy. We have these modern GHRs you see all the instagram fitness models using with the kneepads, so it's not the old school ones that are difficult to use. But unless someone cares to contract me here with an explanation, I'd rather do these than machine hamstring curls. 

Uhhh....GHR is superior to machine hamstring curls in literally every way. There is no argument for the machine curl other than if it's all you have access to our just feel like it. GHR ftmfw

19 hours ago, mwarren said:

Uhhh....GHR is superior to machine hamstring curls in literally every way. There is no argument for the machine curl other than if it's all you have access to our just feel like it. GHR ftmfw

Agreed. I just wonder what these knee pads are about. They definitely make the movement way easier. What was ever wrong with the old school GHRs? 

For those curious, the "old school":

new-ghd-header2.jpg

The knee pads:

yk54034-lg.jpg

19/04/08

OHP C1W6

DB OHP superset BAND PULLAPARTS (x20)

25x20

45x20

55x18

NG PULLUPS (BW@252) superset BAND FACEPULLS (x15)

BWx10,9,9

DIPS

BWx12,15

DB HAMMER CURLS superset DB ROLLING EXTENSIONS

50x10,10

50x10,10

It was raining so I just trained at my apt gym. I stuck with BW pullups and dips because I don't have a weight belt. Otherwise I was set for my workout. I have a really great pump going on right now after the session. I did this workout in about 40 mins tops. 

I don't functionally see any difference in those 2 GHRs, as long as the ankle retainer can be adjusted similarly to the Rogue GHR. If the ankles can't be brought near parallel with the floor, and if the rounded pads are hard and you don't sink in, then I think it changes your stance on the GHR from neutral to slightly inclined, which would change the leverages.

Yea, I think it's probably just a difference in knee vs ankle height because of how foamy the pads are. The higher the knee, the easier the bottom part is but the peak contraction feels like shit. Or maybe good if you're into that.

Hey boys. Just got back from another refreshing trip to Boston. It's always nice to retreat from the madness of life and find onesself again. 

I worked out, too

19/04/11

BENCH C2W1

PAUSE BENCH

135x7

185x5

225x5

270x5,5,4

CG SPOTO PRESS

225x6,4

CGBP

225x4,6

HS ISO ROW superset BAND PULLAPARTS

2PPS+35x5x12

redx5x20

EZ CURLS superset EZ INCLINE TRI EXTENSIONS (weight on bar)

70x12,12,6

70x12,12,12

The workout didn't quite go as planned, but I can easily chalk this up to travel woes, some dietary mishaps (skipped a total of 180g worth of protein eating the past two days), and trouble finding a bar at this Boston gym. All other things considered, I think it went well. I could and should have started my close grip benching at 215 instead of 225, but I might go ahead and stick with that number for the time being. 

14/04/12

DEADLIFT C2W1

2" BLOCK PULLS

225x5

315x4

405x2

480x3

SPEED DEADLIFT

340x15x1 <-- 20 sec between reps

SUSPENDED GOODMORNINGS

215x12,12,10

HANGING VUPS

BWx10,10,8

Had a great session today, much better than before. My deadlifts felt very strong and powerful. The only thing I'm upset by is how slowly my grip strength is returning this time around. It's very hard for me to redevelop my grip strength these days for some reason. I might need to apply some direct work to address it, but it's still a little soon to tell. 

I'll add a post about dieting. 

I'm strongly considering going on a real diet, i.e. tracking cals, logging food, prepping meals, etc. The friend I visited in Boston is taking steps to prepare for a show even though he hasn't committed to it yet, so he is on a real diet. He and his wife have both had great success using this app called Eat This Much. It's got some great features that allowed him to construct a diet around the foods he likes to eat and use the app to calculate the right portions to meet his goals. 

When I was planning my trip, my friend and I discussed gym and foods. Since I've dropped down to 245 and weigh almost as much as him, and he's almost my same height, I ate exactly the same foods he ate while there. It was actually amazing. We're talking eating something like 9 times a day, including various sandwiches and yogurts, and totaling 330g protein/day on a fucking whopping ~3400 calories/day. I need to be eating like that. While I haven't had a problem with fullness on my diet (even missing meals), I like the multiple eating times of his diet and how that kind of keeps you mindful of what you're doing and motivated to continue it. I'm also a big fan of the high protein intake. 

Anyways, I'll be playing with the app, putting some of my fav foods in it, and seeing if I can come up with something similar to my friend that I would like to run that I could stick to. 

I can't imagine actually tracking my exact macros and shit again. If I were cutting, I'd probably do so just to make sure I don't cut too quickly by accident. I'd definitely need an app like that because I need different stuff every day and I refuse to spend much time finnicking over calculations to see what I can fit into each meal. It sounds absurd anymore. But alas, the age of apps is upon us.

The nice thing about an app like this is you can input the foods you want to eat, your target macros and calories, and it'll spit out how much of everything to eat. I weigh out things for a living to the point it's like scratching my arm, so that's not a problem for me. I like the confidence I have in knowing exactly what it is I'm using. I feel it gives me control over things and the ability to adapt depending on how things are going. 

There'll be some prep work up front, whether it's in inputting, building, or finding recipes, putting in the nutritional data for things that don't have it, etc, but once it's done the app is easy to use. It also has an online interface that's more wieldy if you want to test the waters. 

2 hours ago, Emperor G_D said:

Wait, because they've made it more convenient, you're less likely to follow it?

No, because it's more convenient, I'm more likely to follow it, but the fact that I know things are being made easier lessens my willpower to do whatever it takes. In '06, I had every meal scratched out on paper and did calculations all day long. But now, I'd never consider such a thing. It scares me because I'm now this lazy about everything and there are still many things that you need to do the hard way. I've developed that app-life personality. Just turrible.

15 minutes ago, mwarren said:

No, because it's more convenient, I'm more likely to follow it, but the fact that I know things are being made easier lessens my willpower to do whatever it takes. In '06, I had every meal scratched out on paper and did calculations all day long. But now, I'd never consider such a thing. It scares me because I'm now this lazy about everything and there are still many things that you need to do the hard way. I've developed that app-life personality. Just turrible.

Things like this app don't really do that, though.  All it really does is save you time.  There's no value to tracking food intake "The hard way" and sitting down for multiple hours, finding recipes, writing everything out, getting out a calculator and then double checking and then creating a grocery list based on your calculations.  You can do this and let it take 20 minutes (if that) and then do something else with those saved hours.  Read a book, go for a walk, whatever.  This making your food planning easier doesn't make you eat it or not shovel down a few donuts once in a while.  So it doesn't take the hard part out of the equation.

I use the Five3One pro app when I'm lifting.  It calculates everything for me, allows me to track it on my phone and even calculates my training volumes as well as tracks body weight, etc.  Hell, it even tells me if it's worthwhile/reasonable to do some joker sets.  It's a better way than the hard way of doing it which is to break out a calculator, write everything down in a notebook and then if you want, make excel spreadsheets.  But it doesn't go into the gym and make me lift weights.  Just saves me 5-10 minutes of writing it down in a notebook every day which translates to 18 hours a year I've gotten back.

Just my 2 cents on the matter.  Being lazy about everything is a personal issue (one I share) but shouldn't really be blamed on ways technology can make your life better/more efficient.

The RP App tells you when to eat, and what to eat, though it gives you the ability to choose your macro sources. 

Meal --> Choose PRO source --> MSG "Eat 120g of Top Round steak"

I think it's a great setup for people who need the push.

I'm not sure I can delve into your psychology here, Mike, though I see what you are getting at...less ventured is less rewarded.

45 minutes ago, Emperor G_D said:

I'm not sure I can delve into your psychology here, Mike, though I see what you are getting at...less ventured is less rewarded.

That.

I have my shit down for bulking right now. But if I were cutting, the hard work for me is tracking shit because I could eat 1000kcal and be fine. I cut by accident all the time. And I'm not saying tracking shit is hard. Just harder. It bothers me that my general ambition is to wait for the easy way. 

So I had a series of revelations following my workup of both my diet up until last Thursday, which has been my "diet" (+/- 3000 daily calories from eating out) for the past 3 years. 

I've been averaging about 4400 calories per day a week, although this number has remained the same during times of no physical activity. This consists of at least 2 days a week of blasting 5.8k+ calories, a few workout days north of 4k, and some non-workout days of about 2500 calories. Regardless of the 4000 or the 2500 calorie days, my macro intake was fucking terrible. I was hitting about 200g fat, 150g protein, and 55g carb. What the fuck. No wonder I've felt like I'm dragging ass, a slow thinker, and experiencing a host of other problems on a near daily basis before CBD. I was practically on an EOD Atkins diet. 

Anyways, today I'm 2 meals away from finishing a full day of eating on diet. Looks like I'll close in on 3386 calories consisting of 120g fat, 229g carb, and 364g protein. I think one of these meals is in flux and subject to change. It would just change the carb/pro/calories without touching the fat, but this is what my diet might look like for a while, more or less.

19/04/15

OHP C2W1

OHP

95x5

115x5

135x5

145x10,9,7,8

CHINUPS superset FACEPULLS

BWx8, +25x7,6,7,6,6

redx5x20

DIPS

+35x10,10,8

DB HAMMER CURLS superset DB TRI EXTENSIONS

45x3x12

45x3x12

Huge pump. I was aiming for 8 or 9 reps on the OHP but got excited and smashed a 10 repper. I think I only got 7 on my 3rd because my rest time was terrible, well sub 3 mins, but it's not a big deal either way. 

Now I'm not liking my form on dips. I might need to revisit BASL (lol) and see if there's anything useful about this in there. BTW I know how to do dips - my issue is diagnosing why mine don't feel right

19/04/16

SQUAT C2W1

SSB SQUAT

285x8,8,8 <-- done ~2-3 mins apart

SSB PAUSE SQUAT (5 sec pause per rep)

265x4,4,4 <-- tiny little psoas and hip pain on first set, so I played it a bit safe, RPE 8.5-9

LYING LEG CURLS

80x10,8,6 <-- done ~2 mins apart

Rushed today's gym session because I was falling asleep while driving and felt like poo in general. I whiffed my carb intake today. I only just realized after 5pm that the carb difference between the meal I ate out yesterday and the salad I prepared is like 90g, which meant I only had about 25g of carbs between waking and my workout. I know the solution to this, so I will start by at least adding a large serving of fruit preworkout or some honey, or potentially eating a skyr yogurt sometime before 6pm. After the weekend, I intend on subbing in some sandwiches, but I'll need that protein-fortified hazelnut spread first from Amazon. 

Anyways, workout went well besides the energy issues. I only had my side give me grief during one set. Otherwise I felt pretty good, which is promising. I'm having to be very mindful of my foot positioning as I'm noticing how easy it is for me to flare one side, displacing my hips from the center.