Growth Factor

GF's "CS Goes Pubic" Log

3 hours ago, mwarren said:

I assumed famotidine would be similar but I don't know the MOA of either tbh. I probably should read into it more.

Famotidine and omperazole are very different drugs. Famotidine is an H2 blocker...essentially an antihistamine with a very strong preference for the H2 receptors which are almost exclusively found in the stomach. By blocking the action of histamine on these receptors, it reduces the production of stomach acid. H2 blocker use is not associated with rebound hyperacidity and famotidine, in particular, has almost no drug interactions.

Omperazole is proton pump inhibitor. By blocking the proton pump, it also reduces the production of stomach acid. The problem with this approach is that the proton pump is found in cells all over the body and is the mechanism by which cells remove metabolic waste products. PPIs also cause their own dependence because discontinuing use causes rebound hyperacidity. Chronic PPI use is associated with CVD and kidney disease.

16 hours ago, STENDEC said:

Famotidine and omperazole are very different drugs. Famotidine is an H2 blocker...essentially an antihistamine with a very strong preference for the H2 receptors which are almost exclusively found in the stomach. By blocking the action of histamine on these receptors, it reduces the production of stomach acid. H2 blocker use is not associated with rebound hyperacidity and famotidine, in particular, has almost no drug interactions.

Omperazole is proton pump inhibitor. By blocking the proton pump, it also reduces the production of stomach acid. The problem with this approach is that the proton pump is found in cells all over the body and is the mechanism by which cells remove metabolic waste products. PPIs also cause their own dependence because discontinuing use causes rebound hyperacidity. Chronic PPI use is associated with CVD and kidney disease.

Thanks! Makes me wonder why omeprazole is used at all? Is there any sedative effect of famotidine? You say it has a high affinity for stomach receptors but I have to ask anyway. I used it in the past but can't remember and I don't trust Google because it says some antihistamines aren't sedating but they are to me.

Sorry for hijacking you're thread GF

Omperazole and other PPIs have a long duration of action allowing once-a-day dosing, famotidine has to be redosed every 4-6hrs.

They are also wickedly effective at reducing reflux/GERD....they just come with a lot of baggage.

Famotidine is non-sedating...antihistamines that are sedating block H1 receptors....famotidine only blocks H2 receptors.

I do find famotidone sedating at higher (prescription) doses. But no issues with the dose in something like Pepcid Complete. I typically use that in combination with Gaviscon.

I'm on Protonix right now (PPI), but no issues coming off of it. It seems to take a few days to kick in and to stop working, so you avoid the backlash effect when coming off. I just need something a bit stronger right now to deal with some stomach issues.

OK SO CAN I HAVE MY LOG BACK? lol but actually, upon reflection I've actually experienced bouts of acid reflux here or there, but usually very mild. I might need to be more vigilant, however, especially with my family's medical history with cancer. Just about everyone on both sides have had it, though my mom's side of the family have survived it and lived -almost excessively- long lives.

19/06/04

BENCH

PAUSE BRO PRESS (legs elevated)

135x5

185x5

225x5

265x1

305x4,4,4

BRO CGBP

285x5,6 <-- got a Tom spot on this last set/rep

BRO CG SPOTO PRESS

245x8,8

SEATED NAUTILUS ROW superset BAND PULLAPARTS x 20

3PPS+25x12,12,10,10,10

EZ PREACHER CURLS superset INCLINE EZ TRI EXT

90x10,9,8

90x12,12,12

Had a pretty good workout today although my gym was overrun by complete fools and idiots today. The kind of form and the type of exercises, or "exercises," I saw people doing looked like the shit that goes on those annual reddit /fitness cartoons that stopped being released recently. And then I get this guy to spot me on the bench for close grip, and as I'm grinding my last rep and, with very positive bar motion, and close to locking it out, he full grabs the bar less than 2" from lockout after I tell him to not touch the bar at all unless I give the command. This fucking motherfucker, I swear. I ended up pressing it out of the rack a few times to make up for it, because I definitely had the rep and am counting it in my log. I'm pretty pumped about trying 315 next week. I don't feel I'm hitting a wall, and my joints feel great, so I just dont feel the need to deload. I think it's just as simple as I can handle a lot more abuse on the bench without heavy squatting and deadlifting.

I always figure if you don't feel like deloading, don't lol. But if you're bulking and on gear and on your 8th week of benching 275 for 5 reps like half the bros on the net, i think you need to deload. And get a coach. Lol

7 hours ago, mwarren said:

I always figure if you don't feel like deloading, don't lol. But if you're bulking and on gear and on your 8th week of benching 275 for 5 reps like half the bros on the net, i think you need to deload. And get a coach. Lol

Yeah, I'll go another week for sure. No point in stopping right now. I also had forgotten that I had found I liked 6 weeks of consistent training on my bench the past ~2 years before taking a deload. The one thing I had never tried between my cycles of injury and health was running a 6 week cycle of entirely submax work. I'd wanted to try that but never got around to it. I had certainly responded to this type of training very well when I first started lifting, to the point that I was as good of a bencher after only 1-1.5 years of training as I was with 7 years (before calculating time off) of training, at least going off my 3RM. It was only in the past ~2 years that I was able to surpass that level with my 6 week bench thing (7 w/ deload). 

19/06/05

HIPS

Warmup: since it's changed, it's currently forward banded monster walks each direction x2, lateral monster walks each direction x2, low back prehab, banded firehydrants (not really, just abductions), birddogs, not in that order lol

HIP THRUSTERS (weight on bar)

90x10

180x10

270x10

320x8,8

GHR

BWx10

+35x10,9,8

LEG EXTENSIONS

115x4x10

PLANKS

x4x30 sec

19/06/07

OHP

OHP

95x5

115x5

135x5

165x1

195x4,4,4 <-- PR

NG PULLUPS (BW@253) superset BAND FACEPULLS

BWx6

+70x3,3,2,2

+45x5

DIPS (BW@253)

+65x8,10,10 <-- cramp on first set

DB HAMMER CURLS superset DB ROLLING EXTENSIONS

60x8,8,8

60x12,8,8

Pretty pumped about the workout and OHP PR. I am also positive that was a PR on dips, but I don't really track those since they're never a main movement thus hard to track in a reasonable manner. I really ran into a wall there with the pullups. I think that coincides with my heavier bodyweight, but I can't rule out the possibility I'm hitting a wall due to adaptation, diet, or some other such limit. I am feeling a bit more worn down after this workout than usual, but it's not a big deal right now. I still think I want to do one more full week of normal workouts before dropping into a deload, but we'll see how things turn out. 

Doc ok'ed me to return to squatting and deadlifting. I might dabble in squats since I was still able to do those while injured last time, and then maybe wait on deadlifts until I have my 1 month followup with my ortho. We shall see. Was gonna go out tonight, but I'm really wiped out from the week I had. I feel like retiring quietly and maybe giving it a shot tomorrow. I had been casually seeing this girl since March/April until recently. We always had a great time, and she was extremely beautiful, but I never really thought of her as a long-long term thing for reasons I dont feel like sharing in public. As it turns out, what I thought was the situation was somehow orders of magnitude worse. I just found out Sunday. Since then, I've broken things off with her and am back to being truly single. I'm pretty upset about the whole ordeal, and I'm questioning some of the choices I've made that led me to end up in the situation I was in. But I know situations like these can be part of the dating world, especially when you date outside of a school or work situation where you at least know a little something about the person and where they're coming from. I've just sort of avoided dating at work, but I think I've found an approach that will be reasonable, measured, and not untoward.

19 hours ago, mwarren said:

Mann, you've made some sick gains on your OHP lately. 

Thanks man. I'm pumped. I actually used a lot of body English on that last set, but fuck it; it was a toe for 2 reps, it was the 3rd set, and it's not like I'm competing in OHPing, lol.

I did see some egregious shit at the gym. Again, it must be because all the serious lifters are at home for the summer or lifting another time of the day, which bears out because the guy:girl ratio is now about 2 and I'm accustomed to seeing more chicks than dudes in the lifting area. Anyways, these 3 dudes were all doing back to back sets, with 95-115lbs, of partial range of motion, behind the neck overhead presses. Also, they had assistance during the movement. One guy was audacious enough to display this grotesque movement for a set of 10 reps while receiving full assistance during reps 2-10. I mean, I had to walk over to the guy across from me and talk shit about those guys beside us because I just couldn't help myself after he went for a second set following that first set. But that didn't feel quite as good as smashing their meager egos with my 195 strict OHP on my first two sets. 

19/06/08

SQUATS

SSB SQUAT

155x5

205x5

245x5

295x5

335x5,5,5 <-- RPE 9

SSB PAUSE SQUATS (5 sec pause in hole)

265x4,4

NAUTILUS LYING LEG CURL

90x3x10

PLANKS

x4x30s

Pretty pumped to have had some weight on my back after so long. It all felt good for the most part. My lower left back felt a little something, but it's never been a problem area for me so I feel it was stress from doing a movement it was no longer used to. I did add a band around my knees for my last set of 335 and it significantly improved the feel of the movement for me. I'll be making sure to do this for all of my sets moving forward. 

19/06/10

BENCH

Since I got my legs back, it was day 1 being back to normal benching

PAUSE BENCH

135x5

185x5

225x5

275x1

295x1

315x4,5,4 <-- volume and top reps PR

PAUSE CGBP (ordinarily TnG, but forgot today)

285x6,6 <-- definitely a PR on CGBP, but first time I've done them as first supplementary movement in a while

CG SPOTO PRESS

255x7,6

SEATED NAUTILUS ROW superset BAND PULLAPARTS x 20

3PPS+35x10,10,8,8,8

EZ BAR PREACHER CURLS superset INCLINE EZ SKULLCRUSHERS

90x8,9,8

90x12,12,10 

harder today than last week, prob from the bench PRs and heavy rows

PRs say it all. The last time I was able to do 315x5, I was either gunning for a 385 competition bench that I accomplished, or I was aiming for a 405 bench after a successful 385x2 the week before. Either way, really good signs here. 

Oops, so I was wrong. Those OHP and bench numbers are not PRs. I've hit something like 335 for 4 or 5 on bench, and I've hit 185 for like 7 or 8 reps and 210 for a 3x3. But theyre still great numbers at my significantly lower bodyweight. 

19/06/12

DEADLIFT

DEADLIFT

135x3 lol stupid easy, didnt even feel the bar

225x5

315x5

405x2,2,2 <-- grip couldnt keep up, and hook grip didn't work - bar kept flying out of my hand, like the hookgrip didnt lock or something

GHR

BWx8

+35x7,7,7

PLANKS

x4x30s

Pretty low key workout, but I got a nice feel for the deadlifts and didn't want to overdo it beyond what I probably did first time back. I do feel fine right now. 

6 hours ago, mwarren said:

Did you use chalk? If so, the thumb must not be locking in. 

I didn't, as unfortunately that's one thing this gym doesn't allow (actually seems to be a rule widely applied around these parts). tbf I almost never used chalk in the past, anyways, except on pulls over 550. 

But anyways, I need to review some vids about the hook grip. I remember a good one by Mark Rippetoe (lol) that helped resolve an issue I had with gripping the bar that caused me to tear off calluses, so I'll see if I can find it again to verify I'm doing what I should be. 

It's really annoying because that first set of 405 I did with double overhand. The last 2 I tried with hook, but it felt as weak as my double overhand, if not slightly worse. That of course makes zero sense. 

19/06/14

OHP

OHP

95x5

115x5

135x5

165x3

185x1

205x2

195x3,2 <-- lost balance after 3 easy reps on first set, second set was just dogshit, 0 energy or drive

NG PULLUPS (BW@250) superset BANDED FACEPULLSx20

BWx10

+70x3,3,4,3,4

DIPS (BW@250)

BWx10

+70x7,8,8

Skipped arms and went home after some gross demotivation. I couldnt get the shit OHP workout out of my head, and I felt very low energy today, so I bagged it and called it before I did something stupid. I think some of this is from going out last night, missing out on ~120g of my daily protein intake, drinking 3 alcohols, and staying up late. I thought I was feeling good today, but my workout indicated otherwise. TBF I am sort of recomping/cutting, so I probably should have hit a wall a little sooner. I've also mentioned I thought a deload was on the horizon. I can confirm I am taking one next week. I think the pullups were a PR, however, and the dips were great, too. 

Update: so this deload week has turned into a noload week. Things just kind of happened that way ... lots of late days at work, a date last night, and more late days to come (including a bday party on Friday). That's fine. I'll pick this back up over the weekend, or next week. 

I made it in, finally!

19/06/20

BENCH DELOAD

PAUSE BENCH

135x5

185x5

225x5

275x3

305x1

325x1 (90%)

235x15 

DB BENCH superset INCLINE CHEST SUPPORTED DB ROW

90x12,12,11

90x10,10,10

PRONE PULLUPS superset BAND PULLAPARTS x 20

BWx5,8,8

Uh, so this was a sort of hard workout, lol. I'm glad I didn't completely skip the gym today because I think I would have deconditioned my strength too much, even if it's only one week. 

FWIW I was at a diff gym with really shitty benches with shallow safeties, so since I had no liftoff, every set here includes anything from a quarter to a half rep at the start. 

19/06/22

SQUAT

BW Back extension x5 into GHR x 5

SQUAT (normal bar)

band around knees

135x5

225x5

275x3

added belt

315x3

365x3 <-- RPE 8.5-9 

315x5,6,6 <-- right hip* not abducting quite as well as the left across all sets...

GHR

+35x10,10,10 <-- I seriously hate this ez mode GHR. I found out the old retirement community gym (I joke, it's just the medical school's gym) has the old school GHRs that I love. I might consider lifting here now and again just to use it despite the horrendous atmosphere and clientele that are by far the most embarrassing to be around compared to any gym I've ever been to

AB WHEEL

BWx3x10 <--- strangely? hard

I started flanking my workouts with those cobra pose stretches. I think this will be very useful for me. 

Well... this could have gone a lot worse!

19/06/25

BENCH

PAUSE BENCH

135x5

185x5

225x5

275x1

295x1

315x4,5,3 (cramp)

315x2 <-- legs up, done <2 mins after my last set

BRO CGBP

285x4,4

BRO CG SPOTO PRESS

255x7,7

NAUTILUS SEATED ROW superset BAND PULLAPARTS x20

3P35PSx12,12,9,8,8

EZ PREACHER CURLS superset EZ INCLINE SKULLCRUSHERS

90x3x10

90x3x12 (15 on last set, but done at a lesser incline by mistake)

I guess I should have expected this judging by my deload last week. I maintained on the bench, lost some strength or conditioning for the CGBP, and then improved across my accessories. What's weird is I appear to have no ability to take advantage of leg drive. My bro presses seem to be at the same level as my normal bench. Importantly, benching with my legs elevated sort of feels a little better on my right shoulder. It makes me wonder if this benching with my legs causes my spine issue/tight right lat/subscap to contribute negatively to my bench, whereas my torso's position with my feet up makes benching better for me (perhaps because I have more slack in my lat, for instance). I'll have to look into this at some point. I'm contemplating my next week's workout going back to bro pressing.

19/06/27

I MIGHT BE A FUCKING RETARD

DEADLIFT

225x5

315x4

405x2

455x1 (double overhand)

495x1 <-- over-under, hook wasnt happening

545x1 <-- RPE <9

565x1 <-- RPE 9.5 

585x0 <-- lost grip, but came off floor fast

585x1 <-- nailed it hard

This is when I should have said fuck it to everything else and gone home, considering what the fuck was I doing pulling 6 plates after only deadlifting twice after an almost 2 month break due to my low back injury. Instead..

GHR

BWx10

45x6

45x2 

I thought the world's biggest asshole, or some jealous boyfriend of some girl I had seen had walked up to me and hit me on my hamstring as hard as humanly possible with his fist, or maybe he hit me with like a bat or a hammer. When I looked behind and saw no one, I also realized my hamstring and glute hurt a lot. At first I thought maybe I had torn this sucker, but there's no pooling of blood  (yet). LIkely a strain and maybe a cramp. Depending on how I feel tomorrow I might try and stop by my docs. Real fucking bummer how I go from slamming a 6 plate pull to doing this shit to my poor, overextended hamstring.