Growth Factor

GF's "CS Goes Pubic" Log

20 hours ago, ozzman said:

I would say, date someone who is not easy for you. Someone who challenges you.  We tend to undermine, we make excuses to date our equals. But in the end we want people who are smart enough to chose us, but partners who we can tell what to do for their best lives.

I say, pick the person who challenges you to a maddening stance. Even of that person is an antivaxxer. Leave your comfort zone, work for your opinion. 

Yeah, there's stuff here for me to think about. 

This week was fucking hell. Just absolute ass. Long hours. Some yelling and dropping of the ball at work (by others, not by me). Missed meals. Missed gym sessions. Some sleep issues. Surprise bills. The girl I'm seeing coming down with something bad. Thank God nothing tragic happened. I was just really stressed out the whole time. It's like I can never get my average, baseline stress down. As I find an outlet, more stress piles on top of the usual. Ahhh!!! 😵 

The good thing is that I had a really great day today, and I'm hoping it continues on this trajectory. I also made it into the gym, so here is what followed:

19/12/07

OHP A2S C2W3

OHP

95x10

115x8

135x5

165x2-3

added belt and wrist wraps

170x5 <-- RPE easy

160x5

150x11 <-- +3 reps, bumping max up again

CGBP

235x11

225x11,9 <-- really fatigued. Maybe food issues from prior days

SEATED HAMMER STRENGTH ROW

4PPSx11,11,10

DB HAMMER CURLS superset SINGLE ARM TRI PUSHDOWNS

45x12,12,8

35x12,12,10

REAR DELT FLYS

110x12,12

I didn't have a chance to mention this cool bit before as I didn't work out that day, but I noticed, for the first time in my life, some quad veins. That was really cool. But today's workout was really nice. My weight is sitting around 241, which to me is a reflection of some missed meals (unchanged, or 1lb lower, than Monday). I've eaten shit like McDonalds and fucking donuts this week to just keep up with calories. I wasn't able to, or decided not to, buy food this week, so I have been making due with just breakfast, protein shakes, cottage cheese, and a couple of salmon filets, which I already had purchased. No salads or chicken. Thankfully I was able to reup everything today, so I will be back on track. 

19/12/09

SQUAT C2W3

SSB SQUAT

155x5

205x5

245x4

295x5

275x5

255x10

CAT DEADLIFT

360x4x4

Got really distracted at the gym during warmups, and I was already late, so I cut the session short. I'm really feeling it today, though. 

19/12/10

BENCH A2S C2W4 

PAUSE BENCH

135x5

185x5

225x5

275x2

300x6 <-- RPE 9.9

DB OHP

60x3x6 <-- RPE 5-6

DIPS (BW@242) 

+55x10,10

PULLUPS

BWx10,10,9

LAT BAR TRICEP PUSHDOWNS

85x3x12

Great session. Aimed for 5, wanted 8, got 6. This is more than enough to bump my max up 5lbs, so I will do that for my next block. This is the beginning of something of a deload week, which really means the volume is cut, thus the low effort DB press and just 2 sets of dips. Those pullups were real nice and strong, surprisingly, especially after not having done them in a while. 

So last night I was visiting the girl I'm seeing, and in the midst of our time together I felt pain and saw large protrusion around my upper right abdominal wall around my ribs. It was soft. I suspect it was just an aggressive spasm that pulled a rib out, but it could be a hernia. I'm trying to be seen by a doc but the fuckers are taking their time turning around a call. Hopefully it's not a hernia. Either way, this doesn't bode too well for my lifting. Of course this happens now, too. 

So I resumed activities and did not suffer any issues. Felt brave enough to give working out a shot today.

19/12/16

OHP A2S C2W4

OHP

95x10

115x5

135x5

165x3

185x6 <-- RPE 10, but no body English

CGBP

225x3x6

SEATED HAMMER STRENGTH ROW

4PPSx12,11,10

DB HAMMER CURLS superset SINGLE ARM ROPE EXT

45x12,14F

35x15,15F

Pretty happy with the workout. Needed 5 reps on OHP, aimed for 6, got 6. I am finding my weight to be fairly static right now, which is kind of weird but reflects some missed meals and such. 

In other news, I had a bit of an issue today at work where I sort of exploded sort of at my boss for no reason. Everyone was cool about it afterwards but I was pretty embarrassed. I was just locked in to doing something a certain way, and when a wrench was thrown into my mix it just freaked me out for no reason. I felt a little ... high strung? (forget the expression) and need to get a handle on it. Surprisingly, I've known I have an issue where I'm actually kind of an asshole at times when I'm feeling really good about life, and generally a very nice guy and subdued when I'm in a bad place. I need to work on that, but it's hard to when I'm so rarely feeling high like this. But I might also be deluding myself .... though I doubt it, judging by my interpersonal interactions and general feeling throughout the day. 

Actually, one of the students in my lab made a funny comment about that. I mentioned I hadn't listened to metal in almost a week and he commented maybe I need to get on that, citing research indicating how calm metalheads tend to be compared to the average person. 

I have a date planned for Thursday at this place. Really looking forward to it. I've always enjoyed gaudy xmas decorations. 

7 hours ago, Emperor G_D said:

Interesting observations.

If I documented every time I was an asshole at work, or home, or the gym, it would be nonstop diary-ing.

lmao

Ok but can a person really be an asshole in the gym? IME I've never been an asshole to a person who didn't deserve it. To be honest, in all instances they were certainly asking for physical contact but I deescalated it to a stern talking-to. I feel like the few ways to be an asshole in the gym are 1) texting endlessly on equipment during busy hours, 2) related to 1, not sharing equipment when it wouldn't inconvenience you to do so, 3) unnecessary dropping/throwing of weights, and 4) sticking Elieko and other quality bars into a corner of a wall to do Tbar rows (obviously if you do this out of ignorance it's one thing, but if there are signs and notes on the bar ...). There's a lot more that would qualify more as douchy than asshole behavior IMO, but that's how I see things. 

I'm not much of an asshole at the gym, honestly. Yesterday, some choad was OHPing and he sat down on a bench in between sets and pulled out a box with a chalk cake in it, and starts spilling chalk all over the platform. The gym doesn't allow chalk at all. I went over to him and said "hey man, I've got no problem with chalk and I use chalk, but the rules on the wall over there say 'no chalk'. So if you could put your chalk in a gallon bag which would allow you to apply it on the DL, we'd all benefit from it when the management doesn't come scrutinizing all of us for chalk use".

Friday I was helping another dude with his squat form...

There's a mook named Jeff there. we used to be cool until one day, I remarked that he was looking skinny (I said "skeeny"), and he said something along the lines of "I'm not sure if I should be offended or not", and I remarked that he was looking more "lean".

He's not spoken to me since. lol

The gym is full of assholes.

Unrelated to being an asshole, giant man eating worms or hating old people but that's a good date idea.  Bitches love shiny things and we all need light to survive so it makes sense.

We're actually doing two of those type of things in the next week and going to do a third in the time between Christmas and new years.

https://landollsmohicancastle.com/events/christmas-at-the-castle-a-kingdom-of-lights-2/

and 

https://www.fpconservatory.org/exhibitions/conservatory-aglow/

Anyway, good luck with the sex.  don't hurt yourself next time.

3 hours ago, Burton said:

Unrelated to being an asshole, giant man eating worms or hating old people but that's a good date idea.  Bitches love shiny things and we all need light to survive so it makes sense.

We're actually doing two of those type of things in the next week and going to do a third in the time between Christmas and new years.

https://landollsmohicancastle.com/events/christmas-at-the-castle-a-kingdom-of-lights-2/

and 

https://www.fpconservatory.org/exhibitions/conservatory-aglow/

Anyway, good luck with the sex.  don't hurt yourself next time.

Nice, man. These type of places and events make for great outings. I like the buffet that the first link is advertising. How interesting that there's a conservatory in your area doing the same thing as the botanical garden where I live. I'm kind of disappointed I didn't know about this back when I had friends at OSU. This would have been a cool place to check out even during the spring/summer/fall time. 

Back to xmas lights, I also found out about these five houses in my city that compete yearly in some official competition against one another in terms of how all-out they go with their decorations. I am actively trying to hunt down their locations to check it out with either my date on another occasion, or just other friends and family.