Mr.Kite

Mr.Kite is doing 5/3/1

I think I am still planning on going three days a week, at least for the next three weeks, which is when I move. I'll probably be taking another forced break at that point in time while I get settled in Bayreuth. Since it is only three weeks I guess I'll just do 5/3/1 and then reconsider my long term plans once I see what my gym in Germany has to offer. At that point, I'll probably lift 2 days a week and climb 1-2 days a week.

5/3/1 Filler - Week 1 - Tuesday

Squats: 115x5 / 135x5 / 165x5 // 175x5 / 205x5 / 235x10 (5+)

OHP: 65x5 / 75x5 / 85x5 // 95x5 / 105x5 / 125x7 (5+)

Lat Pulldowns: 5x10 @ 100 lbs

Tricep Extensions: 5x10 @ 40 lbs

Finally went to the gym yesterday after a full two weeks off. Had that weird experience of feeling very fresh, but having lowered strength. Only dropped 1 rep off my OHP, but 4 reps off the squats. Pretty sore today, especially in the legs. Since I will be busy on Thursdays and Fridays the rest of my time here, I will likely be working out Tuesday/Saturday with two lifts per session.

Perfect. It's good to resensitize to your training with either time off or emphasizing other rep systems in concurrent training. You'll be able to grow a bit more than usual for a couple weeks so pack the calories in. 

It's normal to feel good but be a little weaker after 2 weeks off. You didn't lose any muscle, but you lost a little strength because of detraining the movements. Luckily at this point, it'll be back in a week or two. For me, it takes a few sessions of heavy progressively heavier loading to get my body accustomed with the heavier weights again. The fact that you feel great means that you're doing very well structurally. If I take 2 weeks off, my back and things start to hurt because of imbalances that were being reeled in from training weaknesses. It would be nice if I could get to that point again.

Ended up missing a bunch of time because of the move. I'm now settled in Germany, so I need to sign up at the climbing gym and the university gym so I can work on getting back into shape. But, work starts Monday, and stuff closes super early in this country, so who knows when I'll get a chance to do that.