Sign in to follow this  
STENDEC

Nandrolone/Oxandrolone & Men's Health

Curr Urol Rep. 2016 Oct;17(10):72. doi: 10.1007/s11934-016-0629-8.
Novel Uses for the Anabolic Androgenic Steroids Nandrolone and Oxandrolone in the Management of Male Health.
Wu C1, Kovac JR2.
Author information

Abstract
There has recently been renewed interest in novel clinical applications of the anabolic-androgenic steroid (AAS) testosterone and its synthetic derivatives, particularly given with the rising popularity of testosterone supplementation therapy (TST) for the treatment of male hypogonadism. In this manuscript, we provide a brief review of the history of AAS and discuss clinical applications of two of the more well-known AAS: nandrolone and oxandrolone. Both agents exhibit favorable myotrophic/androgenic ratios and have been investigated for effectiveness in numerous disease states. We also provide a brief synopsis of selective androgen receptor modulators (SARMs) and postulate how these orally active, non-aromatizing, tissue-selective agents might be used in contemporary andrology. Currently, the applications of testosterone alternatives in hypogonadism are limited. However, it is tempting to speculate that these agents may one day become accepted as alternatives, or adjuncts, to the treatment of male hypogonadism.

KEYWORDS:
Androgenic anabolic steroids; Hypogonadism; Nandrolone; Oxandrolone; SARMS
PMID: 27535042 

wu2016.pdf

It's a problem...although probably treatable with sildenafil or related compounds.

I think one area where nandrolone would probably shine is androgen deprivation therapy for prostate cancer...and there you might be willing to accept deca dick if you didn't have to suffer all the other side effects of ADT.

22 hours ago, dr. frankenstein said:

and the deca dick ?

I think this is usually prolactin-mediated. Cabergoline et al should do the trick

I would tend to agree.

I suspect deca dick is more a function of two things...nandrolone causes profound testicular shutdown and yet, it has very low intrinsic androgenicity and to top it off, the action of 5AR converts it into an even less androgenic metabolite...

3 hours ago, dr. frankenstein said:

Evidence ?

In deca users,  the problem is solved with cabergoline or pramipexole. Haven't looked for a paper validating the molecular mechanism in vitro. 

4 minutes ago, rs81 said:

In deca users,  the problem is solved with cabergoline or pramipexole. Haven't looked for a paper validating the molecular mechanism in vitro. 

The problem is that those drugs are pro-sexual in people with normal prolactin levels and work along the same MOA as the ED drug apomorphine...

I can't find any clinical evidence of increased prolactin secretion in response to nandrolone administration.

6 hours ago, dr. frankenstein said:

nor i.

even on 800 mg of nandro (alone) weekly 10 weeks.

prolactin normal.

To play devils advocate, is it not possible that nandrolone binds to PRL receptor directly? 

6 hours ago, rs81 said:

To play devils advocate, is it not possible that nandrolone binds to PRL receptor directly? 

It is possible. However, in that case, the anti-sexual effects would not likely be reversed by prolactin-lowering drugs like cabergoline.

On 24/4/2017 at 10:33 PM, rs81 said:

another route..

nandrolone have a binding affinity of 20% to the progesterone receptor.

and on the other hand progesterone lowers libido and nandrolone being a sort of progestin...

Sexual Absorption of Vaginal Progesterone: A Randomized Control Trial

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/ije/2015/685281/

"Men absorbed significant progesterone during intercourse with a female partner using vaginal progesterone gel compared to placebo . Conclusion(s). Vaginal progesterone gel is reduced in women after intercourse which may decrease drug efficacy during luteal phase support. Because men absorb low levels of progesterone during intercourse, exposure could cause adverse effects such as decreased libido"

"Male absorption of progesterone could have adverse effects. Progesterone therapy was introduced in the 1960s as a potential treatment of men who were convicted as sexual offenders and paraphilias. Medroxyprogesterone use in men was reported to temporarily decrease serum testosterone and gonadotropin levels resulting in decreased libido, frequency of erection, and spermatogenesis [57]. Increased amounts of progesterone in men whose partners are using vaginal progesterone gel could have similar consequences"

I think we are overthinking this...nandrolone is suppressive and yet is only about 1/3 as androgenic as testosterone and its five-alpha reduced metabolite is even less androgenic...I suspect it simply doesn't have sufficient androgenic potential to drive libido/sexual response in some men.

On 4/25/2017 at 1:46 PM, STENDEC said:

I think we are overthinking this...nandrolone is suppressive and yet is only about 1/3 as androgenic as testosterone and its five-alpha reduced metabolite is even less androgenic...I suspect it simply doesn't have sufficient androgenic potential to drive libido/sexual response in some men.

So combining nandrolone with more androgenic compounds would be the potential fix...which is the standard method of using deca anyways, is it not?

On 25/4/2017 at 2:39 PM, dr. frankenstein said:

nandrolone have a binding affinity of 20% to the progesterone receptor.

and on the other hand progesterone lowers libido and nandrolone being a sort of progestin...

Sexual Absorption of Vaginal Progesterone: A Randomized Control Trial

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/ije/2015/685281/

"Men absorbed significant progesterone during intercourse with a female partner using vaginal progesterone gel compared to placebo . Conclusion(s). Vaginal progesterone gel is reduced in women after intercourse which may decrease drug efficacy during luteal phase support. Because men absorb low levels of progesterone during intercourse, exposure could cause adverse effects such as decreased libido"

"Male absorption of progesterone could have adverse effects. Progesterone therapy was introduced in the 1960s as a potential treatment of men who were convicted as sexual offenders and paraphilias. Medroxyprogesterone use in men was reported to temporarily decrease serum testosterone and gonadotropin levels resulting in decreased libido, frequency of erection, and spermatogenesis [57]. Increased amounts of progesterone in men whose partners are using vaginal progesterone gel could have similar consequences"

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0006291X17314055

We show for the first time that the anti-androgenic properties of progesterone and drospirenone are similar to the well-known AR antagonist hydroxyflutamide, while nomegestrol acetate is more potent and nestorone less potent than both hydroxyflutamide and progesterone. Moreover, we are the first to report that the older progestins, unlike progesterone and the fourth generation progestins, are efficacious ERα agonists for transrepression, while the selected progestins from the second and third generation are efficacious AR agonists for transrepression. 

I've experimented a little with TD progesterone and the dose is very tricky...just enough and it feels good but a little more and it snuffs out my libido like a bucket of ice water.

On 08/09/2017 at 5:20 PM, STENDEC said:

I've experimented a little with TD progesterone and the dose is very tricky...just enough and it feels good but a little more and it snuffs out my libido like a bucket of ice water.

FWIW I'm pretty sure you can be Rx'd oxandrolone, winstrol or gh.  You would just need to find a progressive enough trt clinic willing to do it.

On 9/8/2017 at 11:31 AM, dr. frankenstein said:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0006291X17314055

We show for the first time that the anti-androgenic properties of progesterone and drospirenone are similar to the well-known AR antagonist hydroxyflutamide, while nomegestrol acetate is more potent and nestorone less potent than both hydroxyflutamide and progesterone. Moreover, we are the first to report that the older progestins, unlike progesterone and the fourth generation progestins, are efficacious ERα agonists for transrepression, while the selected progestins from the second and third generation are efficacious AR agonists for transrepression. 

Progesterone Treatment Inhibits and Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) Treatment Potentiates Voltage-Gated Calcium Currents in Gonadotropin-Releasing Hormone (GnRH) Neurons

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2954728/

Well, to be clear you can...but it's probably a pain and/or cost $$$.  Heck even "Anthony Roberts" (allegedly) had a script for var.

There are plenty of guys on the interwebz forums at least that have scripts for winny or var. I imagine it just takes quite a bit of searching and then $$ once you find a place to Rx it.

Short of cancer of AIDS, I think you would be hard pressed to find any sort of legitimate physician who would Rx it over testosterone. 

I'd be very surprised if more than a handful of otherwise healthy men in the US actually have a script for nandrolone, oxandrolone or winstrol.