Sign in to follow this  
D-termine

Testosterone Prevents Hairloss?

So a buddy of mine, experienced gear head who has routinely been among a group of my buddies to lose his hair and then kitchen sink it back to life with a slew of compounds, pointed to my hairline a week ago and it's all I've seen since.  Luckily I have never really lost hair from cycling, or so I thought.  I ended up pulling out pics from my first cycle 13 years ago when I shaved my head after to determine if I'd lost any hair to compare.  So while I didn't lose any then, it seems like 32 year old me may be receding a bit compared to 19 year old punk kid version.

Compound this with finding out that tying your hair back fucks with the hair follicles, and my man bun backfired again.

SO, here is what my buddy said to me and I wanted to know if it had any merit past his broscience.  He claims that when he comes of test, he experiences hairloss. It reverses when he gets back on it. Sometimes certain compounds like winny or tren ravage his hairline, but he is confident that test helps.

Now with that said, is there any chance that testosterone helps keep hair on your head?  I mean it puts hair everywhere else on my body, so why not thicken things up on top? Been off for several months now, started enjoying nocturnal penile tumescence a few weeks back like nobody's business, but there's always a catch.

On 1/17/2018 at 1:44 PM, STENDEC said:

Out of simple curiosity, have you been completely drug free at any time in the last five years?

PS, to any who care, today marks 31 days clean off AMP/METH, quit my ecig after nearly a decade two weeks ago after one session of MDMA, no longer on xanax, and it's been a week since I've even had a melatonin.  Worked my tits off to get here, and just thought I'd share. @STENDEC to answer your question, this is the first time I've gone drug free in over a decade.  Not since jail/probation have been clean for more than a week or two. And I don't count the one time use of MDMA which I used to quit smoking, or the handful of psilocybin/AL-LAD microdosing days in the last month. They've helped me process trauma, forgive myself, and get back to a healthy frame of mind. Because as Johann Hari so aptly puts it, the opposite of addiction is not sobriety. The opposite of addiction is connection.

But yeah, sorry to hijack my own thread. Just don't post much and wanted to share with the board. Much love!

Hairloss is mostly controlled by genetics.

If you are predisposed to it, there isn't a lot you can do to change the math.

On the drugs front, that's some great progress K...keep at it and don't yield to the temptation to rationalize...I don't know a whole lot about addiction but I do know for sure that you can't borrow your way out of debt. ;)

Congratulations on your hard work.

I've found moderate-dose MDMA + psychedelics to be effective at processing trauma in ways that talk therapy alone cannot achieve. It's equally important to have someone to talk to about the experience afterwards.

On 3/9/2018 at 3:01 AM, STENDEC said:

Hairloss is mostly controlled by genetics.

If you are predisposed to it, there isn't a lot you can do to change the math.

On the drugs front, that's some great progress K...keep at it and don't yield to the temptation to rationalize...I don't know a whole lot about addiction but I do know for sure that you can't borrow your way out of debt. ;)

Rationalizations Are better than sex. Don't believe me? Try going a week without rationalizing something and get back to me.

As for hair loss being genetically controlled, I've always been on the lucky end of that scale. However I have seen first hand guys that I know lose a ton of hair on cycle and then restore their hairline with a few different compounds that I'm never going to remember the name of.

So hopefully it's all in my head. Or on it, preferably on it. 

26 minutes ago, D-termine said:

guys that I know lose a ton of hair on cycle and then restore their hairline with a few different compounds that I'm never going to remember the name of.

:( I wish you could remember the names. My MPB accelerated when I was taking toremifene.

6 hours ago, D-termine said:

Rationalizations Are better than sex. Don't believe me? Try going a week without rationalizing something and get back to me.

No argument from me here.

On 3/9/2018 at 7:35 AM, Sanction said:

Congratulations on your hard work.

I've found moderate-dose MDMA + psychedelics to be effective at processing trauma in ways that talk therapy alone cannot achieve. It's equally important to have someone to talk to about the experience afterwards.

I think people to talk to are important period. Acute loneliness has been shown to release the same amount of cortisol as a punch in the face from a stranger. Which means I've been suffering from severe head trauma these last few years. But funny that you mention that, I actually found my way to my mother's house after my friend redosed me 2 hours in and then left me to fend for myself. So after a few hours in a field and an immensely pleasurable stint in a drainage ditch listening to the birds all around me, I made my way to my mother's house at 3 in the morning.

Woke her up, and then listen to her tell me about her woes for the next few hours and would gently touch her arm to let her know I was there. I was really hoping to convince her to perhaps try it at some point with me in the future as I think it would really help her with a lot of things in her life, but I don't think that's in the cards for her. That said, I had a nice night with my mom and how many people can say they took ecstasy and then hung out in their moms bed all night bonding? I'm guessing the number is very close to almost none.

22 hours ago, Sanction said:

:( I wish you could remember the names. My MPB accelerated when I was taking toremifene.

There is no magic bullet when it comes to hair loss and no medical way that I am aware of to reverse true androgen related MPB.

If there was, you would not be here hoping that somebody could remember the name of it....it would be a blockbuster pharma treatment bigger than sildenafil.

To be honest I have noticed no effect on my hairline whatsoever (I have basically been on for the last ~5 years with a 3 month break to make a son).

I have, however, noticed an effect on my skin. It looks like crap. Very deep wrinkles for my age and an almost "grainy" appearance on my neck especially. I suspect it is likely due to a reduction in collagen synthesis.

Last injection was in February and I'm looking to stay natural for a little while, so hopefully my body will fill in some of those deep grooves with a little "collagen-spackle" :lol:

I'm also pretty sure all the tanning didn't help either lol

If anything, testosterone should improve skin texture. It promotes collagen synthesis and oil production resulting in thicker, more elastic skin.

I'll need to root around for it but there was an old study where they applied estrogen or testosterone to old women's faces to see what effect it had on their skin. The testosterone promoted much more youthful skin (although it caused some women to grow whiskers) than the estrogen.

I'd bet the tanning has a bigger impact.

On 03/16/2018 at 4:21 PM, STENDEC said:

If anything, testosterone should improve skin texture. It promotes collagen synthesis and oil production resulting in thicker, more elastic skin.

I'll need to root around for it but there was an old study where they applied estrogen or testosterone to old women's faces to see what effect it had on their skin. The testosterone promoted much more youthful skin (although it caused some women to grow whiskers) than the estrogen.

I'd bet the tanning has a bigger impact.

I quit tanning ~2 years ago fwiw.

I thought I had remembered you or someone else talking about how good their skin looked while using progesterone cream. If one were using test without hcg or dhea + pregnenolone I imagine they would be missing out on that.

What I'm getting at is that it may not be just the introduction of exogenous test but also the reduction of other hormones that contributes to this.

13 hours ago, ((Vibe)) said:

What I'm getting at is that it may not be just the introduction of exogenous test but also the reduction of other hormones that contributes to this.

This always has me wondering about TRT being incomplete...I need to spend a little more time digging into it to determine if we should be supplementing with other things.

I already use 25mg of DHEA/day which most studies show will restore "youthful" levels....but progesterone might be another thing. I've use it in the past but I'm inconsistent with it.

According to this in vitro study, testosterone doesn't really do anything to the skin...

Arch Dermatol Res. 1989;281(6):417-23.
Morphometric analysis of human epidermis treated with testosterone and dehydroepiandrosterone in organ culture.
Tammi R1, Santti R.

The influence of testosterone and dehydroepiandrosterone (DHA) on human epidermal differentiation in skin organ culture were studied with quantitative light and electron microscopic morphometric methods. The hormones had equal effects on the general tissue architecture at the concentrations of 10(-7) mol/l: they had a negligible effect on the thickness of the vital and cornified layers of epidermis, and on the type of keratinization, but caused a significant increase in the number of granular cells. The electron microscopic stereologic analyses showed that testosterone did not alter the size of either vital or cornified epidermal cells. Neither did it influence the quantities of major keratinocyte organelles (keratin filaments, desmosomes, ribosomes, mitochondria) in the different epidermal strata. However, the amounts of keratohyalin granules and keratinosomes were significantly higher in testosterone-treated granular cells than in controls. Qualitative electron-microscopic analysis of DHA-treated skin showed a similar change in the amount of keratohyalin granules and keratinosomes. The present findings suggest that although androgenic hormones exert little or no direct anabolic effect on epidermis, they may modulate keratinocyte maturation.

PMID: 2480753

On 3/16/2018 at 10:38 AM, ((Vibe)) said:

To be honest I have noticed no effect on my hairline whatsoever (I have basically been on for the last ~5 years with a 3 month break to make a son).

I have, however, noticed an effect on my skin. It looks like crap. Very deep wrinkles for my age and an almost "grainy" appearance on my neck especially. I suspect it is likely due to a reduction in collagen synthesis.

Last injection was in February and I'm looking to stay natural for a little while, so hopefully my body will fill in some of those deep grooves with a little "collagen-spackle" :lol:

I'm also pretty sure all the tanning didn't help either lol

I've noticed deep grooves that have set in on my forehead, and yes I live in SoCal and don't use sunscreen. Never been something I've lasered in on like I have in the last few months, first few off test.

While I wish to remain natural for the time being, I'd love some growth hormone.  Sadly needles can't be near me anytime soon. This same buddy has mentioned an oral SARM I believe that he said boosted gh, might be interested in that.

In the meantime however loads of bone broth protein and collagen powder to ensure I've got the building blocks needed to patch up the growing grooves my expressionate brow has bestowed upon me.

Then my FAVORITE method for jacking up GH release (along w BDNF for my busted brain), hyperthermic conditioning.  All credit to Dr Rhonda Patrick,  her work with cold & heat shock proteins is enlightening. 

The steam room is my preferred method of collecting heat shock proteins, limited visibility and even though the temp is lower than the dry sauna, I think the water in the air + physics I don't understand make the net effect greater.  No science for that one, just my feeling/preference.  Plus way less assholes have the balls to stay long/fuck off being loud in a steam room. I try for 30-45 minutes 4x or more a week.  Coupling training with heat exposure works as a hormetic multiplier.

"Two 20-minute sauna sessions at 80°C (176°F) separated by a 30-minute cooling period elevated growth hormone levels two-fold over baseline."  Or closer to crazy (my speed) "two one-hour sauna sessions a day at 80°C (176°F) dry heat (okay, this is a bit extreme) for 7 days was shown to increase growth hormone by 16-fold on the third day."

Cryotherapy can be used locally with a handheld device to increase collagenase,  and local cryo places I know of advertize it's skin rejuvenating effects.  Sucks it's so cost prohibitive compared to the $40/month for sauna/steam room access at my local gym.  The gym is a nice bonus, but the steam room is worth $10 a week easy.

"At temperatures found within rheumatoid knee joints (36°C) collagenolysis was four times greater than at temperatures found in normal knee joints (33°C)"

Just got back from Denver, first time there, and that's a new kind of cold for me.  Plan on moving to Colorado Springs soon, hoping to get a place w a backyard so I can snow -> sauna back to back. Need one of these to complete my biohack;

514Ghr2tTvL.jpg

On 10/31/2018 at 9:11 PM, ((Vibe)) said:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/15675949/

Well, this might be a large part of why test use seems to have aged our skin @D-termine

Interesting.  I went back on a lower dosed topical t the last 6 months and from my n=1 subjective mirror test, skin aging and hair thinning seems to have been arrested.  Just need to build my NIR sauna now and get back on my bone broth and collagen powder grind.