Kimbo

Kimbo's PR Log

So now that I'm feeling healthier, my new goal is to break some lifetime PRs. I don't expect that I'll beat all of these, or maybe even most of them, but I'll have fun trying. Here they are - some are from memory, and some are guesstimations based on other stuff I've done:

Bench Press w/ pause: 136kg/300lb (a while back)

Oly Squat: 233kg/512lb (based off of doing 175kg for 5x5, a while back)

Push Press: 120kg/264lb (this was fairly recent)

Overhead Press: 95kg/209lb (also fairly recent)

Snatch: 95g/209lb (not long ago but not recent, either)

Clean and Jerk: 140kb/308lb (a while back, power jerked)

PL Squat: 227kg/500lb (a while back)

Strict Chinups: 13 (I think, not long ago)

Squat Jerk: 100kg/220lb (a while back, hoping to make this my main jerk method)

Deadlift: 250kg/550lb (a while back, conventional with shit form)

Mile run: 8:30 LOL

I'll more or less try to knock these out in the order listed, but if they come early then so be it. I am going to assume that all of these were done at around 100kg/220lb body weight; I know that some of them weren't, but the ones from a while back were. My goal is to get down to that body weight again, and then attempt to maintain that for the rest of the year.

I'm going to take a page out of John Phung's book, and try to hit PRs every day:

http://www.johnphung.com/blog/6813/how-i-hit-prs-all-the-time-and-how-you-can-too/

I'll keep track of variations (paused/not paused, wide/medium/narrow grip/stance, etc.) as well as other factors (body weight, RPE, morning/evening, etc). So if I hit the same weights at the same reps at a lower RPE, that's a PR. If I hit the same weights at the same reps at a lower body weight, that's a PR. If I hit the same weights in the morning that I hit in the afternoon the last time, that's a PR. Etc. Weight lifted obviously trumps everything else. This shit might seem a bit nitpicky, but I feel like it'll keep motivation high. I'll only add in more variations and different rep ranges when my lifts begin to stall.

Volume will be waved by adding in more assistance lifts each week, with a deload every 4th week (I'm still mulling over how the deload will go, but I am guessing a decrease in volume, frequency, and sticking with lower intensity). Intensity will be waved as I add in more rep ranges and variation. I'm going to try to stick to an RPE 8.5-9.5, but 10s (and failures) will come occasionally.

Body weight: 234.2

Morning

A. Oly Squat, paused

Warmup

112.5x5@10 Log PR (weight)

Notes: I decided to just crank the squats out without pausing at the top like I usually do. Definitely harder. I'll make a note if I pause at the top.

B1. Mat Press, medium grip, arched, pause on chest

Warmup

105x5@9.5 Log PR (weight)

B2. Yates Row, medium grip

Warmup

105x9@9 Log PR (weight)

C. Clean Deadlift

Warmup

120x5@7 Log PR (weight)

Notes: I did another set at 140, but I was not happy with my form at all. So I'm going to go with 120 and build up from there.

D. BTN Sotts Press, clean grip

Warmup

42.5x5 + 20sec hold Log PR (weight)

Notes: I could have done more, but stopped here. These are getting easier.

E. Chinup, wide grip

234.2lb -3asst bands x10 Log PR (reps)

I'm going to be hitting PRs in this log a lot at first, but things will slow down soon.

18 minutes ago, Emperor G_D said:

How did that feel, dummy? It looked a bit painful after the hold touched down.

That's big dummy to you, sir. And it wasn't super bad, but I need to remember not to do that in the future.

I've gotten about 10hr of sleep in the last 3 days due to work, but I put my big boy pants on and got some lifting done.

A. Oly Squat, paused at bottom

Warmup

112.5x5@10ish

B1. Mat Press, arched, medium grip, paused at bottom

Warmup

106x4 Log PR: Weight, failed rep 5, set felt off kilter

100x6 Log PR: Weight

B2. Yates Row

Warmup

105x9

100x6 Log PR: Weight

C. Chinup, wide grip, paused at bottom

BWx10

Notes: Forgot to check my BW this morning.

D. BTN Sotts Press + hold at top

Warmup

50x5++20sec hold Log PR: Weight

Notes: I guess that technically this is a lifetime PR, since I never used to do these before...

Morning

BW: 236

Warmup

]112.5x5@10ish

Notes: Closer to 9.5, but I'll err on the side of caution.

B1. Mat Press, wide grip, arched

Warmup, 110x2

100x7 PR: Reps

Notes: 100 felt really solid/easy on my warmups, so I went for 110 and it did not go. So I dropped back to 100.

B2. Yates Row, medium grip, pause at top/pulled against stomach

Warmup

105x6 PR: Reps

C. Snatch Pullunders

Warmup

30x5 PR: Weight

D. Drop Squat Jerk

Warmup

40x5 PR: Weight

50x5

Notes: I got 50x5, but was not happy with it, as I could feel myself pushing the weight up a bit before dropping under. So I'll go with 40.

E. Chinup, wide grip, paused at bottom

-3asst bands x11 PR: Weight, Reps

F. 1-Legged Touchdown Squat, left leg

Notes: These will be a little hard to gauge, just because I am doing these in attempt to work up to a pistol on my left leg. As I get better at these I'll be touching my heel down further  ahead of myself, until I can go all the way down with my right leg out in front of me.

Time to start adding in some backoff sets and/or assistance.

Morning

Warmup

112.5x5@9 PR: RPE

106.5x5

106.5x5@9

B1. Mat Press, arched, medium grip, pause on chest

Warmup

105x4@9 Established 4RM

97x5

97x5

B2. Yates Row, medium grip

Warmup

105x6 Working on quality of my reps here

97x6 Press

97x6@9

C. Cean Pull Under (Tall Clean)

Warmup

40x5

Notes: These are a bitch.

D. Clean Grip Overhead Squat Pressout

Warmup

45x5

45x5 Better

Notes: I really need to be more aggressive with these. The slower they are, the much harder they are.

E. Chinup, Wide Grip, pause at bottom

x10 + 41sec hold at bottom

F. Adductor Plank, left leg

x20

Notes: My left adductor was feeling grouchy, but now it feels pretty good. I really need to do these regularly.

On 5/18/2018 at 1:01 PM, Mr.Kite said:

What's the benefit of a Yate's row to the hip over the normal row to the chest?

The benefit for me is that I can alternate them with floor/bench press without having to change the weight around. I feel the Yates rows more in my lats vs. upper back. The supinated grip helps to balance out all the pronation I do with Oly lifting - my forearm already feels better as a result.

So I attended a weightlifting seminar today with Cheryl Haworth and Oscar Chaplin. Had an amazing time, and learned a lot. I've joined coach Haworth's barbell club. I assume that I'll be following her programming, but I'll see if I can make it work with what I had intended with this log.

Squats are going well and continuing to improve, both in weight and quality. Bench, not so much... I think I tried pushing too hard based on my previous floor press numbers, which are like 20kg+ higher. So I'll back off a bit.

On 5/23/2018 at 7:44 PM, Emperor G_D said:

Interesting. What's your bench work look like?

4-5 days a week, I work up to 1x5 @ RPE 9, then I back off 5%-10% and do sets until I hit an RPE of 9 again. Same as my squat workout. The other days I either don't do anything, or I do speed sets or BB-type stuff.

I did squats barefoot tonight. They felt really good. I might make this a regular thing.

I've been doing pause squats for so long that my regular squat is behind my pause squat. But I've been doing regular Saturdays lately, and I'm starting to remember how to do them.

3 hours ago, Kimbo said:

4-5 days a week, I work up to 1x5 @ RPE 9, then I back off 5%-10% and do sets until I hit an RPE of 9 again. Same as my squat workout. The other days I either don't do anything, or I do speed sets or BB-type stuff.

I guess I'd suggest backing off of the frequency or varying the intensity somewhat if it doesn't come around.

7 hours ago, ((Vibe)) said:

I always do squats and deads barefoot. To where doing them with shoes feels weird now.

Deads in socks but squats feel much better with a heel.

I cycle back and forth on the heel. I almost always do a few warmup sets with the bar barefoot, then with a heel, so I can decide which feels better that day. I think my body gets grouchy if I do too much of one or the other.