Kimbo

Kimbo's PR Log

17 hours ago, Emperor G_D said:

Interesting.

I wish I could fix my back enough to take part in any of this. I need to fiund a hobby that involves physical activity...

That's a pretty limited list with a bad back...swimming? Sowwy

17 hours ago, Emperor G_D said:

Interesting.

I wish I could fix my back enough to take part in any of this. I need to fiund a hobby that involves physical activity...

Complaining? Wait - that is your vocation, not a hobby.

Too mean. Can't do it.

11 hours ago, mwarren said:

If you take away my freedom to watch you from a distance, then you're a nazi.

I like the fatigue idea. Makes perfect sense for that structure. Especially if you have your own squat rack lol but it would be a little rude at a gym with one rack. Do you really think you will only need to drop 5% even after the oly lifts? I gas out super quick so I'd only get 1 set in so I know I'm different but 5% after the oly lifts seems hard to manage. Maybe I'm just not tough. Are most weightlifters used to getting in a lot of work at high intensities?

Well for me, 5% after Oly lifts works out to 3 total sets of squats. I actually did 7.5% tonight and that felt better - that's 30% totally fatigue for the week if I do 4 sessions.

Oly lifters at the elite level typically use very high frequency. Like 9 sessions (2 workouts a day on M W F and one a day on Tu Thu Sat, with one day off). No fucking way I'll ever get up to that level, though.

Morning

A. Front Squat

Warmup

95x6@9

B. Snatch Grip BTN Press

Warmup

50x9@10

C. Assisted Neutral Grip Pullup, +3 bands

x9@9.5

Evening

A. Hip Snatch

Warmup

40x3, 50x3, 52.5x3, 55x0 dumped forward, 55x3 much better

B. Deficit Clean Deadlift, 3 sec pause below knee

Warmup

100x3

110x3

120x3

Notes: These felt fucky. Couldn't figure out how to get my stance wide while also clearing my arms.

C. Front Squat

Warmup

94x4,x4,x4@9

D. Snatch Grip BTN Press

Warmup

44x10, 44x9@9

E. Assisted Neutral Grip Pullup

x6, x6, x4@9.5

2 hours ago, Kimbo said:

Well for me, 5% after Oly lifts works out to 3 total sets of squats. I actually did 7.5% tonight and that felt better - that's 30% totally fatigue for the week if I do 4 sessions.

Oly lifters at the elite level typically use very high frequency. Like 9 sessions (2 workouts a day on M W F and one a day on Tu Thu Sat, with one day off). No fucking way I'll ever get up to that level, though.

Not with that attitude you won't!

But ah, I see.

Morning

A. Split Jerk + Split Stance BTN Press

Warmup, 40x1+x5, 50x1+x5@9

Notes: My split jerks felt surprisingly solid after having not done them for months.

B. Pendlay Row, pause at chest

Worked up to 60x10@8.5

C. Front Foot Elevated Bulgarian Split Squat

-x10L@8

Notes: I fucking hate these, but they'll help to strengthen my left leg, so I need to do them.

I had a talk with my coach about my training, and I'm just going to stick to the programming she's laid out for me. The only (minor) exception is that I'll bump the working weight up on my lifts from set to set if I feel like I can (or bump it down if it's feeling tough). Otherwise, if the program says 4x4 I'm going to do 4x4.

My main issue at the moment really is my technique. While my strength has gone in the toilet, it's not the main reason why I'm not Oly lifting as much as I can. So I'm going to focus on technique work. Maybe later on, if I'm at a place where strength is the main culprit, I can revisit this with her.

Bad day at work?

--You just need test, bro.

Getting a cold?

Girl's got you down?

Blew your asshole out while squatting?

Getting fat?

Getting skinny?

Dick don't work anymore?

Dick works too well?

--You just need test (deca), bro.

In the flowchart of life, all roads lead to test...

Still working out regularly, just not logging every time I do. This is an easy week in my program.

A) Muscle Clean + Front Squat + Push Press Warmup, 65x(x1+x1+x1)x3sets

Notes: Felt good. Kept the bar close. Arms were long. Concentrated on being stacked on the push presses.

B. Overhead Squats (Tempo 3211) light

Warmup, 60x3(3)

Notes: I concentrated on staying stacked. Right wrist was hurting again. I used my straps, that was better. Held the last rep of the last set at the bottom for 15sec, but my right elbow started to hurt a tiny bit, so I stopped. 

C) Clean Grip Pocket Pulls w/ 3 Second Pause at the knee on the way up- 4 sets of 3. These are Medium weights. 

Warmup, 100x3(3) 

D) Split Stance Behind-the-Neck Press, 1-1-X-2 Warmup, 40x8, 40x10, 42x5

Notes: I think these were good? I measured out my split stance and drew markers on the floor. I paused for 2 seconds at the top to try to really feel myself being stacked all the way down. 

E) Semi-Supinated Assisted Pullups

Warmup, x8, x4+10sec negative

Notes: Tried to concentrate on executing the concentric with my scaps. I lowered myself slowly and then paused at the bottom for a while to stretch the lats. 

F1) Butterflies + External Rotations- 2x10 1kg plates x10 1.5kg plates x10

Notes: Missed the part about 4x12, will make it up next workout 

F2) Bird Dog, fist to knee

x10 right, x10 left x10 left, x10 right 

G) Adductor Plank, knee on bench

x10 left, x10 right,  x10 left + 10sec hold at top

Notes: My PT gave me this exercise to do because my left adductor was bugging me.

12 hours ago, mwarren said:

Damn, your volume tolerance has really increased of you look back a couple pages

I've been trying to ramp it up. It also helps that this is a low intensity week, and that I've been eating like a big fatty.

Tried to do my workout today and had to bag it. Just could not wake up, even after a cup of coffee and a few hits of an energy drink. I'll try again tomorrow.

On 6/15/2019 at 11:31 PM, Kimbo said:

Tried to do my workout today and had to bag it. Just could not wake up, even after a cup of coffee and a few hits of an energy drink. I'll try again tomorrow.

RPE 11 😉

I'm beginning to suspect that my anxiety is strongly correlated to how I eat. If I don't stuff myself, and I don't eat too many processed foods, I tend to feel good. Whenever I eat like shit, I can feel the anxiety coming on. It could be a gut microbiome thing, or it could strictly be in my head (or both). Whatever the case, it behooves me to focus on making good food decisions.

I tracked calories/macros for a good while, and that was pretty hit or miss. I'm back on the PN bandwagon, focusing on habits. This time, though, I'm trying to give myself plenty of time to let the habits sink in and stick. Right now I'm just focusing on eating mindfully. That includes objective observations on my food (taste, smell, texture, etc), eating slower, and eating in a designated area (dinner table is for eating). So far so good. I'm not even really worrying about satiety, as eating slower and more mindfully seems to be taking care of things for now.

Did a snatch complex today, split jerks from the rack, squats, and some pump stuff (TRX foot elevated pushups, pullups, landmine upright row, BTN barbell triceps extensions, landmine curls). I need a longer chain to attach to my barbell for landmine stuff, because I came dangerously close to racking myself.

I still suck at split jerks, but I think I'm starting to get the hang of them.

Me: *split jerk*

Coach: Good jerk!

Me: Wait what?

Coach: I said good jerk.

Me: Really?

Coach: Yeah I don't get it either.

And then I proceeded to do a bunch of good split jerks. Not sure what happened, but something clicked today.

Followed that up tonight with snatch grip DL, front squat with 2 second pause, seated overhead press, and Pendlay rows. I am kind of shocked at the difference between my normal front squat and the paused ones... I was expecting a difference, but not that much. It probably indicates posterior chain weakness.