STENDEC

One (New) Direction

Not terribly scientific, Mr. Science!

FWIW, here's the attempt selection criteria from 5thset Evolutions:

~~~

Selecting Attempts for the Meet :
In the original 5thSet book, we introduced the 5thSet attempt selection formula. This was the
first attempt selection formula of its kind, based off of numbers collected in a structured
diagnostic peaking mesocycle. Many such calculators have since popped up all over the
internet, complete with feigned scientism from kids who've been lifting for three or four yearsand no sign of how the formulas were developed.
*cough, cough*
As the person who, for over a decade, collected and interpreted the figures which were used
to develop this system and formula, I'm willing to venture a guess that those calculators will
probably change a bit now that I've made improvements and this second book has been
released. Like I said before, more data leads to a clearer picture.
With a tsunami of meet results coming in each weekend from 5thSet lifters, I noticed a small
but significant deviation in the success rate of third attempt bench presses emerging, when
using the original formula. After a lot of testing, we have altered the original formula to correct
for it. The new formula effectively solves the problem and doesn't interfere with the rest of the
system. It's hard to steal what I haven't done yet, but now this cat is out of the bag, too.
All kidding aside, I didn't do any of this stuff for recognition and I get plenty of that as it is. I'm
just grateful to have so many people benefiting from my work. I'd rather everyone use the
formula the way it was intended and not end up peaking a couple of weeks after their meets,
fumbling to understand why renaming one of my puzzle pieces doesn't make it to fit into their
puzzle correctly. But I digress.
Things could have gone a very different direction for me. A thought I keep toward the front of
my mind, always. And anyway, when people see my stuff, they usually recognize where it
came from. I cant tell you how many emails I get: “Look what this person stole from you!” I
must be doing something right.
The new formula for bench press changes the third attempt, only. First and second attempts
remain the same. The original formula for squat and deadlift is still intact, with some thoughtsand warning about maximum third attempt selection, but I'll get to that shortly.
Third attempt bench press is now figured as 102% of the best peaking cycle lift, rather than
104%. So in other words, where we would normally multiply our best peaking cycle lift by
1.04, we now have to multiple it by 1.02 for our third attempt on bench press. And where
before we had to round down the 104% number, this new formula allows us to potentially
round up the 102%, if the second attempt moved very quickly. We could even round up the
second attempt, if we chose, without issue.
Whether to round up or down on the third is a decision to be made by someone who has
reviewed the second attempt on video, knows your lifting and has the experience to make the
correct call. If you fit that profile, feel free to decide for yourself. If not, get some input from
someone you trust. These things can be tough to be objective about on the fly. Again, there is
no suitable replacement for an experienced coach.
Since I know examples can make things easier to absorb, let's take a look at how this new
formula would work in practice for someone who hits a 550 pound bench press in their
peaking cycle. In this case we would multiply 550 x 0.90 to calculate the opening attempt. 550
x 0.90 = 495 so the lifter's opener would be 495 pounds. To calculate the second attempt we
would multiply 550 x 0.97, which equals 533, rounded up, 535 pounds. Nothing has changed
from the original formula until now. To figure the third attempt, we will multiply 550 x 1.02,
which gives us 561. Because it's so close, we would probably do best to round that figure
down to 560 as this lifter's third attempt for bench press.
In review, for this lifter's bench attempts, we come up with:
1st attempt- 550 x 0.90 = 495 pounds2nd attempt- 550 x 0.97 = 535 pounds (rounded up from 533)
3rd attempt- 550 x 1.02 = 560 pounds (rounded down from 561)
I have to mentioned that I've changed the way I use the attempt selection formula, slightly for
squat and deadlift, as well. There was no deviation in success rate for either lift's third
attempts, not the way there was for bench press. That was not the issue here, but i have
changed the way I select third attempts for these lifts. I never go over 104% or the 1.04
coefficient for either, haven't for a few years now.
Based on bar speed it's usually possible to predict if a lifter is capable of 104-105% on their
third. Predictability is not the only problem here. The issue is two fold.
When selecting 105% on a squat, we theoretically risk effecting performance on the bench
press and deadlift for very little added return. We also increase the likelihood of injury. Was
that extra five pounds on squat worth missing the third bench press, if there was a twenty
pound jump from the last successful attempt for that lift?
No.
When selecting 105% on the deadlift, we risk potentially injuring a fatigued lifter for very little
added return. Was it worth missing the third attempt, costing the lifter thirty five pounds on
their total and possibly an injury for a chance at five more pounds?
No.A final point I want to touch on for attempt selection is number goals. I would strongly suggest
all lifters make waste of preconceived notions they have about number goals for their meet. I
am unable to calculate how many times I've seen a lifter throw away an awesome PR total,
and unnecessarily risk injury in the process, reaching for something which is currently beyond
their grasp.
Please don't think the appeal of round numbers is lost on me. A 2000 pound raw total. A 600
pound bench press. These are sexy numbers. I get it. I want you to hit all of the numbers
you've dreamt about and worked toward. The surest, quickest, safest path to doing that is
following the formula. We have to function in reality here. Your wishes and goals should not
be factors that influence the selection of your attempts.
Trusting the formula dramatically increases the likelihood of successfully completing the
heaviest attempt possible for each lift, leaving you with the heaviest total you're capable of.
Believe me when I tell you that putting together the heaviest total you can is going to feel a lot
better than missing unrealistic thirds which would have added up to some arbitrary figure you
might have preferred.
Stay healthy and play intelligently with the hand you've been dealt. There is time for more
training, more meets and even bigger numbers down the road.

An important note for lifters with lower maxes:
After calculating and rounding down your projected attempts using the formula, check to be
certain the difference from attempt to attempt is no greater than 7% of the peaking cycle max.
You may have to round up the opener in order to reach 104% on your third attempt, without
taking a jump much greater than 7%.

~~~

It looks like you didn't do any sort of peaking, which might render some of this moot. Just tossing this out there for future use if you ever do a meet again.

Any questions about the meet? Happy to answer any questions you might have.

Got the last slot at the meet! Shouldn't have put it off although I am surprised it filled up.

Just did some Power HIIT today and some biceps work....got some additional PT for my pec which is feeling pretty good.

Have you heard of these Theragun units that are getting popular? Your mention of PT reminded me of it somehow. It is a jackhammer for local areas with different attachments basically. I want to get one. Maybe for Christmas.

@mwarren, but a cheap battery-powered jigsaw, and the theragun bits from a place like RPE10...theraguns are like $300, which is foolish, but a cheap jigsaw is $30, and the fittings shouldn't cost thast much.

https://www.harborfreight.com/18-volt-cordless-jig-saw-62871.html

https://rpe10.com/products?olsPage=products%2Fjig-saw-myofacial-release-attachments

https://www.mobilitybit.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwguDeBRDCARIsAGxuU8Y5ZvalPawJRXwBfIseJjTxVWgCddEJn2XrIzU7jEcrHoQRRfFpFTcaAgQZEALw_wcB

OR...if you're feeling a bit DIY: https://www.acehardware.com/departments/tools/power-tools/reciprocating-saws/2195964?x429=true&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=Cj0KCQjwguDeBRDCARIsAGxuU8YF2L-2ykAPq5YHDoz_lBdFmFbXlJlYnXR5yD0rYyFEr15raQzuliMaApF8EALw_wcB

You can use a standard hex bit (like a standard screw bit), and find a way to mount a ball or whatever.

So my first PL meet was today...and it went really well. The meet was well run, moved right along and there were some really great folks participating.

My total was 1235lbs, 305B, 405S, 525D. My goal was 1200lb so I was happy to beat that by a bit.

I did a 430 squat but only got one white flag for depth....was a close call looking at the video but the officials made the call and it was my third try so I had to live with it. That squat and my DL were both PRs.

My bench is pretty meager...just don't have a lot of strength on the left side where I had the tear...not sure how to fix that....

Congrats on a successful cherry-popping, pops!

You got PRs, too, so that's great work. Next time, do a real peak, and you might be able to push those maxes up higher.

As for the injury...I don't know anything about tears. I think you wait for it to heal, and then start building all over again. So you're beyond healed, and now you need to build it back up again. I would have thought that you would have made up any lost strength long before now, personally. How far out are you from the injury?

Thanks Sam.

I went into this being pretty conservative and I'm pleased with that strategy....next time, I'll be a little more aggressive. I suspect I can get to 450S and 550D by April which is the next meet.

1 hour ago, Emperor G_D said:

I would have thought that you would have made up any lost strength long before now, personally. How far out are you from the injury?

Over a year...I'm not sure why the strength just isn't coming back...I'm going to try doing some more board/pin pressing.

The good news is my pec didn't bother at all during my DL.

Maybe you're being psychological, here?  There's not reason not to trust it, if you have no pain and regained full function. 

If it could take it, I'd just hit it with volume. Get some circulation and growth in there. Pin presses are bullshit, and I think boards are good after you get a full workout in, as added volume/MSM work.

It's possible it is in my head.

I like the pin presses because, like board presses, they take the deltoids out of the equation....I've got pretty big delts and on that side especially, it feels like the delt is compensating for the pec. In fact, the one thing that felt like I "hurt" during the meet was my left medial delt.

On 11/5/2018 at 12:17 AM, Emperor G_D said:

Maybe you're being psychological, here?  There's not reason not to trust it, if you have no pain and regained full function. 

If it could take it, I'd just hit it with volume. Get some circulation and growth in there. Pin presses are bullshit, and I think boards are good after you get a full workout in, as added volume/MSM work.

I've dealt with 2 major pec tears now and Sam's right. You WILL mind fuck yourself. I'm doing it even now and I'm well aware. But the fact of the matter is that if it can perform the same functions then there is no reason it can't be built back up just as strong. It's very important to NOT do partial movements when rehabilitating a muscle. Pick an accessory movement that has good ROM and doesn't hurt (ie neutral grip DB press) and start light and use tons of volume and use linear progression on that movement until your chest is back to full strength. Pushups, db benches, tsunami bar benches (probably best)