STENDEC

One (New) Direction

37 minutes ago, mwarren said:

I realize most people think they are the way I thought: basically a rear foot elevated lunge with either DBs or a BB. 

From what I gather they are actually done with the rear foot back and maybe only slightly bent and either on flat ground or only on an inch high platform or something. Loaded only with a barbell. Heavy movement meant for leg volume to build the legs when axial load is too great to add more squatting. Like a 600lb squatter would use 400lbs only when axial loading is too great because of a high volume period in an advanced program.

It doesn't necessarily have to be a barbell. DBs or landmine work, too.

My impression is that they're a rear foot elevated split squat. Do you have a vid of what you're describing?

It was a video that had one of the famous strength coaches in it. It wasn't Sheiko I don't think... I looked but can't find it. It was at a strength seminar and this coach had this strong athlete of his demonstrating things to other coaches. I know Stan Efferding, Marc Bell, and other bigger names were there. If I find it I'll post it.

He said if you want to do a rear foot elevated split squat, then do that. But it's not what a BSS really is. They are done only with a barbell and only heavy as fuck because they are supposed to be the closest thing to a squat without the axial loading. I remember him saying the back foot can be raised but I'm pretty sure it was only a tiny bit. 

I mean, it doesn't really matter. If you want more instability, you raise the rear leg more. If you want versatility, you can do 1 or 2 DBs. Or whatever. I think this guy was just irritated that what he called a BSS was not what everyone else was doing.

52 minutes ago, mwarren said:

I think this guy was just irritated that what he called a BSS was not what everyone else was doing.

Maybe what he was talking about wasn't actually a BSS.

I'm talking about these, only using KB instead of DB

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT91XgMJZR51W7ZM4vnotl

1 hour ago, mwarren said:

It was a video that had one of the famous strength coaches in it. It wasn't Sheiko I don't think... I looked but can't find it. It was at a strength seminar and this coach had this strong athlete of his demonstrating things to other coaches. I know Stan Efferding, Marc Bell, and other bigger names were there. If I find it I'll post it.

He said if you want to do a rear foot elevated split squat, then do that. But it's not what a BSS really is. They are done only with a barbell and only heavy as fuck because they are supposed to be the closest thing to a squat without the axial loading. I remember him saying the back foot can be raised but I'm pretty sure it was only a tiny bit. 

I mean, it doesn't really matter. If you want more instability, you raise the rear leg more. If you want versatility, you can do 1 or 2 DBs. Or whatever. I think this guy was just irritated that what he called a BSS was not what everyone else was doing.

It sounds like symantics to me. Or maybe the guy is just trying to be different. The picture that Ben posted is what almost everyone thinks of as a BSS.

That's what I thought, too! But then he made me feel stupid because why wouldn't you just call it a type of lunge or elevated split squat? But then it's like...because we feel like calling it BSS. I have a feeling there was one guy that just started calling them bulgarians and there never was an exact distinction. 

However, I do see a distinct advantage in doing them with a barbell for more specific strength, with DBs and KBs for more general training, and rear foot more elevated for more hypertrophy oriented work vs strength. 

However, I've seen a huge debate about how the rear foot needs to be. There was an argument that it needs to be on something that pivots (like a roller) vs on toe vs top of foot flat against the surface. Not sure why any of that would matter since you can just bend that knee throughout the movement to compensate? Have either of you seen this debate/have any input? I wish I could remember where I get this shit from but I read and watch so many materials daily that I just can't catalogue it.

3 hours ago, Kimbo said:

It sounds like symantics to me. Or maybe the guy is just trying to be different. The picture that Ben posted is what almost everyone thinks of as a BSS.

Everyone except for Mikey...

2 hours ago, mwarren said:

That's what I thought, too! But then he made me feel stupid because why wouldn't you just call it a type of lunge or elevated split squat? But then it's like...because we feel like calling it BSS. I have a feeling there was one guy that just started calling them bulgarians and there never was an exact distinction. 

However, I do see a distinct advantage in doing them with a barbell for more specific strength, with DBs and KBs for more general training, and rear foot more elevated for more hypertrophy oriented work vs strength. 

However, I've seen a huge debate about how the rear foot needs to be. There was an argument that it needs to be on something that pivots (like a roller) vs on toe vs top of foot flat against the surface. Not sure why any of that would matter since you can just bend that knee throughout the movement to compensate? Have either of you seen this debate/have any input? I wish I could remember where I get this shit from but I read and watch so many materials daily that I just can't catalogue it.

I didn't even know it was a debate, honestly.

I mean, it's like any other movement, right? I can do front squats with a barbell, or front squats with a KB or DB (goblet squat), or do them landmine style... Each one has their pros and cons.

30 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

I didn't even know it was a debate, honestly.

I mean, it's like any other movement, right? I can do front squats with a barbell, or front squats with a KB or DB (goblet squat), or do them landmine style... Each one has their pros and cons.

Yea, it was a thing on some of the youtube fitness channels at some point. Those guys banter at each other about the most mundane things. Mostly Jason Blaha. To be honest, his crazy ass probably has the best overall information. He's just really stupid socially. I really liked Stefi Cohen's explanation of them better than anyone else's.

Blaha is about as dumb as a fucking anvil. Please don't tell me you buy a word of his BS. Dude makes a fucking target out of himself because he's about as stunted as one can get-socially, intellectually, fitnessily...

2 minutes ago, Emperor G_D said:

Blaha is about as dumb as a fucking anvil. Please don't tell me you buy a word of his BS. Dude makes a fucking target out of himself because he's about as stunted as one can get-socially, intellectually, fitnessily...

Oh, trust me he is absolutely an assclown. But his training methodology is better than most other big youtubers like kinobody, alpha m, alpha destiny. To be honest, his training knowledge is quite good. It may be hard to come to terms with, but if you're able to see things for what they are...

But he does make a LOT of random shit up about training. He just happens to be overall in the right direction unlike most of the others. 

1 minute ago, mwarren said:

Oh, trust me he is absolutely an assclown. But his training methodology is better than most other big youtubers like kinobody, alpha m, alpha destiny. To be honest, his training knowledge is quite good. It may be hard to come to terms with, but if you're able to see things for what they are...

But he does make a LOT of random shit up about training. He just happens to be overall in the right direction unlike most of the others. 

Yeah, no. I can't fap to this. And I can promise you, I see things for what they are. This would be like you telling me that Bradley Castleberry was a premier strength personality.

Honestly I've watched the group hate against him and it's amusing to me over time watching the amount of people that fall victim to mob mentality. He promotes higher frequency training, compound movements, strength goals, healthy body fat levels, linear periodization for base building. His information is honestly much better for a beginner to find than even Athlean-X, the so-called best. His bullshit makes him an assclown, but as far as training goes, he doesn't know as much as he thinks he knows as evident from making shit up sometimes, but he absolutely knows more than the other channels I've mentioned. Plus Bradley Martin, he's not qualified to strengthen a pubescent gorilla.

I watched his channel for fun and over time realized that the guy was actually pretty spot on with overall methodology. I mean, he knows more than the Lilliebridges. The people that think the lilliebridge method makes more sense than a 5x5 (which is Blaha's go-to program) for ANYONE are honestly not as educated or experienced as they thought in strength training. But people judge the information given based on who is giving it, I understand. And I still to this day think he's a moron. But since I watch ALL of the channels, I have to admit that he gives better advice HANDS DOWN than most of the other channels. Hell, I'll pull his Q&A's if you don't believe me. He'll give the same answer I would most of the time.

13 hours ago, mwarren said:

Honestly I've watched the group hate against him and it's amusing to me over time watching the amount of people that fall victim to mob mentality. He promotes higher frequency training, compound movements, strength goals, healthy body fat levels, linear periodization for base building. His information is honestly much better for a beginner to find than even Athlean-X, the so-called best. His bullshit makes him an assclown, but as far as training goes, he doesn't know as much as he thinks he knows as evident from making shit up sometimes, but he absolutely knows more than the other channels I've mentioned. Plus Bradley Martin, he's not qualified to strengthen a pubescent gorilla.

I watched his channel for fun and over time realized that the guy was actually pretty spot on with overall methodology. I mean, he knows more than the Lilliebridges. The people that think the lilliebridge method makes more sense than a 5x5 (which is Blaha's go-to program) for ANYONE are honestly not as educated or experienced as they thought in strength training. But people judge the information given based on who is giving it, I understand. And I still to this day think he's a moron. But since I watch ALL of the channels, I have to admit that he gives better advice HANDS DOWN than most of the other channels. Hell, I'll pull his Q&A's if you don't believe me. He'll give the same answer I would most of the time.

Instead of derailing poor Ben's log, you should probably nut up and open a new thread. Then we can compare all of the very many talking heads in strength or fitness or whatever we call it these days. They're all full of crap.

23 minutes ago, STENDEC said:

Legs

Goblet Squats, BSS, Step Ups, Weighted Walking Lunges, Air Squats

25# vest

Another sort of rushed workout....too many meetings.

Gettin it done, though.

13 hours ago, STENDEC said:

Legs

Goblet Squats, BSS, Step Ups, Weighted Walking Lunges, Air Squats

25# vest

Another sort of rushed workout....too many meetings.

I estimate that I spend about 80% of my time in meetings. No joke.

I was involved in a Vogon-level effort to eliminate meetings called the subcommittee on the committee on committees.

1 hour ago, Kimbo said:

Ever have meetings about meetings? Those are the best.

I literally just got out of one and didn't realize it until I read this thread. It was a meeting about the scheduling the substructures of all the other meeting types we need to meet about meeting.