STENDEC

One (New) Direction

I remember the first video I ever watched on how to SLDL. Kim probably sent it to me. It was this guy with a black pony tail...like a jacked Steven Segal. He was doing like 5 plates for reps, too. I need to try to find this jacked Segal again.

By the way, if any of you meet me in person, I do an excellent Segal impersonation. Plus I know Aikido so I can totally make some funny ass play at his movies. Maybe at the CS 2020 winter retreat.

How much do you shrug? I haven't done shrugs since the Max-OT days lol so it's been over 15 years. I was thinking about adding them as an accessory lift for Jamie but I have no idea what the weight should be in comparison to, say, one's deadlift..

26 minutes ago, Growth Factor said:

DB shrugs are fucking great. ROM is greater and it makes the movement feel subjectively more natural to me. Maybe just have her do sets of 10 with a 1 count pause during full contraction, and depending on how easy it was move the weight up?

I can't have her use subjective exertions because she's too much of a newb. She will think 15lbs is enough but then if I blindfolded her she could do 30s for instance. So often I just need a good starting point and find out the real exertion when she hits failure. 

Women.

2 minutes ago, mwarren said:

I can't have her use subjective exertions because she's too much of a newb. She will think 15lbs is enough but then if I blindfolded her she could do 30s for instance. So often I just need a good starting point and find out the real exertion when she hits failure. 

Women.

Oh, I meant you be the judge of her speed and effort, because yeah @ the rest of that, lol

45 minutes ago, Growth Factor said:

Oh, I meant you be the judge of her speed and effort, because yeah @ the rest of that, lol

Ah yea. It's always hard to really judge. Like the other day she DLed 165lbs and said she was maxed out. I put 225 on and had her try to brace against that for 5 seconds a couple times. Dropped it to 205 and she smoked it for a few singles. All in her head. Her perception of "heavy" is very relative day to day and minute to minute lol

Legs

Goblet Squat, Wide Stance Bulgarians, Prisoner Squat, Walking Lunges, GHR

#weighted vest

So I went to put on my shorts and realized I hadn't packed any...so I pulled out my "backup" shorts from my locker...they are too long and the legs are too narrow so my first squat I blew them out and had to bum a spare pair off my lifting partner who though the whole situation was rather humorous.

I wore size M for most stuff when I was on my hiatus from the forum 3-4years ago. I finally got around to donating all of it. Similar scenarios to your crotch rip kept happening.

4 hours ago, STENDEC said:

I use #100 DB for shrugs.....I find they give better ROM that a straight bar.

Have you tried a hex bar?