Sign in to follow this  
STENDEC

Testosterone, Estrogen & Growth Hormone

This may be why studies using AI as a standalone to increase testosterone in hypogonadal men often do not show the same changes in body composition as supplemental testosterone...suppression of estrogen appears to impact GH/IGF-1 production that normally increases with rising T levels.

Metabolism. 2017 Apr;69:143-147. doi: 10.1016/j.metabol.2017.01.025. Epub 2017 Jan 19.
Effects of transdermal testosterone gel or an aromatase inhibitor on serum concentration and pulsatility of growth hormone in older men with age-related low testosterone.
Dias JP1, Veldhuis JD2, Carlson O1, Shardell M3, Chia CW3, Melvin D1, Egan JM1, Basaria S4.

Growth hormone is the major regulator of growth and body composition. Pulsatile GH secretion declines exponentially with age. Testosterone replacement is being increasingly offered to older men with age-related low testosterone. Testosterone administration has been shown to stimulate GH secretion. However, little is known about the effect of testosterone aromatization to estradiol on GH pulsatility and its impact on IGF-1 in older men.

OBJECTIVE:
This randomized controlled proof-of-concept trial investigated the relative effects of testosterone and estradiol on GH pulsatility and IGF-1 in older men with low testosterone.

DESIGN:
Thirty-seven men, ≥65years with total testosterone <350ng/dL were randomized to 5g transdermal testosterone gel (TT), 1mg oral aromatase inhibitor (AI) or placebo daily for 12months. Primary outcome was deconvolution and approximate entropy analyses of pulsatile including basal and entropic modes of secretion performed at baseline and 3months. Secondary outcomes included IGF-1 evaluated at baseline, 3 and 6months.

RESULTS:
At 3months, mean GH and in IGF-1 were similar between the three groups. At 6months, IGF-1 significantly increased by Δ 15.3±10.3ng/ml in the TT-group compared to placebo (P=0.03). Both intervention groups significantly increased GH pulse frequency (TT-group, P=0.04; AI-group, P=0.05) compared to placebo. The GH secretory-burst mode (duration) significantly decreased in the TT-group (P=0.0018) compared to placebo while it remained unchanged in the AI-group (P=0.059).

CONCLUSIONS:
In older men, testosterone increases GH pulse frequency while the aromatization to estradiol is involved in the rise of IGF-1 levels.

PMID: 28285644 

FFT

J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2002 Feb;87(2):825-34.
Unequal impact of short-term testosterone repletion on the somatotropic axis of young and older men.
Gentili A1, Mulligan T, Godschalk M, Clore J, Patrie J, Iranmanesh A, Veldhuis JD.

The present clinical study compares the impact of low- and high-dose parenteral testosterone (T) supplementation on daily GH secretory patterns and serum IGF-I, IGFBP-1, and IGFBP-3 concentrations in healthy older (60-82 yr) and young (20-40 yr) men. To this end, we administered three consecutive weekly injections of randomly ordered saline and either a low (100 mg) or a high (200 mg) dose of testosterone enanthate im; namely, saline (n = 17, young and n = 16, older), a low dose (n = 8 young, n = 8 older) and a high dose (n = 9 young, and n = 8 older) of androgen. To monitor somatotropic-axis responses, blood was sampled every 10 min for 24 h for later chemiluminescence-based assay of serum GH, RIA of serum IGF-I, and immunoradiometric assay of serum IGFBP-1 and IGFBP-3 concentrations. Data were analyzed via a nested analysis of covariance statistical design. At baseline (saline injection), older, compared with young, men maintained: 1) similar serum total T, IGFBP-1, and IGFBP-3 but reduced IGF-I concentrations, namely, mean (+/- SEM) IGF-I 160 plus or minus 15 vs. 280 plus or minus 18 microg/liter, (P < 0.001); 2) reduced GH secretory burst mass (0.68 +/- 0.09 vs. 1.2 +/- 0.20 microg/liter, P = 0.031); 3) more disorderly GH release patterns (approximate entropy 0.501 +/- 0.058 vs. 0.288 +/- 0.021, P < 0.001); and 4) blunted 24-h rhythmic GH output (nyctohemeral amplitude 0.25 +/- 0.05 vs. 0.47 +/- 0.08 microg/liter, P = 0.025). Serum T concentrations (ng/dl) did not differ in the two age groups supplemented with either a low dose [550 +/- 50 (young) and 544 +/- 128 (older)] and high [1320 +/- 92 (young) and 1570 +/- 140 (older)] dose of T. The 100-mg dose of androgen exerted no detectable effect on GH secretion in either age cohort but increased the serum IGF-I concentration in young men by 20% (P = 0.00098). The 200-mg dose of T failed to alter daily GH production in young volunteers but in older men stimulated: 1) a 2.03-fold rise in the mean (24-h) serum GH concentration (P = 0.0053, compared with the response to saline); 2) a 1.20-fold increase in basal (nonpulsatile) GH production (P = 0.039); 3) a 2.15-fold amplification of GH secretory burst mass (P = 0.0020); 4) a 2.17-fold elevation of the Mesor of nyctohemeral GH output (P = 0.025); 5) a 1.79-fold enhancement in GH approximate entropy (P = 0.0003); and 6) a 40% increase in the fasting serum IGF-I concentration (P = 0.000005). Multivariate statistical analysis indicated that following high-dose T administration, the E2 increment significantly predicted the IGF-I increment in both age groups combined (P = 0.003); T dose positively forecast the serum total IGF-I concentration (P = 0.0031); and age and T dose jointly determined serum LH concentrations (P = 0.031). In summary, neither a physiological nor a pharmacological dose of T administered parenterally for 3 wk augments daily GH secretion in eugonadal young men. In contrast, a high dose of aromatizable androgen significantly amplifies 24-h basal, pulsatile, entropic, and nyctohemerally rhythmic GH production and elevates the serum IGF-I concentration in older men. The mechanistic basis for the foregoing age-related distinction in GH/IGF-I axis responsivity to T is not known.

PMID: 11836328

Little nugget in there on injected T dose-response....low dose was 100mg/wk and high dose was 200mg/wk

6 hours ago, STENDEC said:

Serum T concentrations (ng/dl) did not differ in the two age groups supplemented with either a low dose [550 +/- 50 (young) and 544 +/- 128 (older)] and high [1320 +/- 92 (young) and 1570 +/- 140 (older)] dose of T.

it does not change much in younger`s , only high doses in older`s

young                                        older

Placebo - Low dose -  High dose  ///  Placebo -  Low dose -  High dose

E2 (pg/ml)         41               54                  48                     30                36               99