mwarren

Resurrection of Blu

Alright, so I need to remember to point my toes out more and really get my knees out to stay more upright. I think some squat shoes may be in my future as well. I was very happy with them, though. Hopefully I can replicate on camera tomorrow. 

Squat

135x5

185x5

OHP

75x5

100x5

DL

185x5

Bench

95x5

145x5

Pullup

BWx5

BWx5

Face Pull

25x25

Upping the volume tomorrow and doing more shoulder stuff. Sunday is going to be busy with a trip to the lake so it'll be a day off. 

Slept like 2 or 3hrs and just couldn't fucking get comfortable. Decided to tough it out and deal with it. Sam does it all the time. Increased volume and will increase again next session, then back down and add weight. Body weight is steadily climbing back at about a pound every 2 days. I did get to an all time high of around 195 not too long ago, so I'd like to get to that fairly quickly and fit in my pants again. 

Squat

135x5

185x5x2

OHP

75x5

100x5x2

DL

185x5 This is the only lift that will not see much if any increased volume on this program. 

Bench

95x5

145x5x2

Pullup

BWx6

BWx6

Blu Face Pull

30x15+15

Lying Leg Curl

60x8

Hip feels better and better. I get my tripod soon for videos. I'm excited about that. G4P

Got my tripod. And am really excited about getting to the gym again. 

I'm probably going to squat barefoot on some little plates. 

I have been dealing with a bit of fear while benching. That pec tear was bad and debilitating for quite some time and I will need to overcome some mental barriers there. I may take longer with this lift than the others. 

3 hours ago, mwarren said:

That pec tear was bad and debilitating for quite some time and I will need to overcome some mental barriers there.

I feel your pain. I tore my pec last fall in Jiu Jitsu and the thought of doing it again was really limiting for a while.

Pec tears-or any tears, really-can be scary as fuck. I've seen shitloads of them lately. 

Take it slow, be careful, be sure to recover well, and *don't* over-focus on it. That might be more important than not injuring it again...not being so afraid that you don't ever push it.

One thing I discovered with my own tear was that my self-recovery left it very adheased and tight....I had to have a PT practically re-tear it to break down all the scar tissue and get the ROM back....so make sure you are stretching it well as you get the strength back.

I don't know about pec tears, but if I had another tendon or muscle injury I would go back to my physiotherapist immediately. It gets harder to fix the longer it sits (even if preliminary symptoms have abated)

10 hours ago, Emperor G_D said:

Pec tears-or any tears, really-can be scary as fuck. I've seen shitloads of them lately. 

Take it slow, be careful, be sure to recover well, and *don't* over-focus on it. That might be more important than not injuring it again...not being so afraid that you don't ever push it.

That's exactly what all the successfully recovered athletes say 

4 hours ago, STENDEC said:

One thing I discovered with my own tear was that my self-recovery left it very adheased and tight....I had to have a PT practically re-tear it to break down all the scar tissue and get the ROM back....so make sure you are stretching it well as you get the strength back.

Oh it's been awhile and my mobility in the pec is good. Doctors and PTs got plenty of my money. I do a bit stuff while working or at home with light tension and deep ROM to facilitate proper recovery without inducing fatigue. Like partial body weight bench dips with neutral grip. Or push-ups to a wall with my feet back. Or the dip machine at the gym. Lots of random shit to keep mobility good. 

36 minutes ago, Sanction said:

I don't know about pec tears, but if I had another tendon or muscle injury I would go back to my physiotherapist immediately. It gets harder to fix the longer it sits (even if preliminary symptoms have abated)

I let it sit the first time, but this recent tear I took immediate and intensive care. And the reward has been a much much faster and thorough recovery. The PT said something I liked: avoiding the bench press would be stupid. Doing it correctly and slowly progressing is going to be a crucial part of the process. 

Serious sleep issues lately. I need to take today off. I'm getting very irritable about it. I can't/won't take addictive meds, but i have to find an alternative. Doc appointment aug 6.

Anyways, my full training from yesterday:

Squat

135x5

185x5x3

DL

185x5

Bench

95x5

145x5x3

Press

65x5

100x5x3

Pullup

BWx6x3

Assisted Dip

BW-68.5x15

Assisted Pullup

BW-68.5x12

Incline DB Bench

30x15 deep stretch with neutral grip, zero internal rotation

Weight all the way up to 175. Yay.

I'm not going to train again unless i get some sleep prior, however, so I'm going to try to make it a priority over everything else.

5 hours ago, mwarren said:

I can't/won't take addictive meds, but i have to find an alternative. Doc appointment aug 6.

As your doc about low dose trazodone. It is an antidepressant that is frequently prescribed off label for insomnia...it's non-addictive.

5 hours ago, STENDEC said:

As your doc about low dose trazodone. It is an antidepressant that is frequently prescribed off label for insomnia...it's non-addictive.

Only because I trust you, I will ask about it. But I'm not guaranteeing that I'll take anything yet. Sometimes just the fact that something is a medication at all is enough to get an addict brain going in the wrong direction. 

My lifting partner is a doc and Rx's it more than anything else for insomnia specifically because it is not addictive....

That said, you know you and if it gets your head in a place it shouldn't be, none of that matters.

7 hours ago, STENDEC said:

My lifting partner is a doc and Rx's it more than anything else for insomnia specifically because it is not addictive....

That said, you know you and if it gets your head in a place it shouldn't be, none of that matters.

On the other hand, I'm only a member here because people smarter than me can help me. I don't understand medical stuff the way you do. If you say non addictive, I will definitely at least ask about it. 

Oh, I actually slept last night. Like almost 7hrs. The problem is, I feel like shit now lol. Stiff as a board.

1 minute ago, mwarren said:

Is there any noticeable difference in your physiology in the morning?

Not much at that dosage. At 50 - 150 mg yes, though that wears off after time.

Note that at 150 mg you start getting SSRI effects on the serotonin receptors.