mwarren

Resurrection of Blu

13 hours ago, mwarren said:

PHEW. I'm really drained and my weight is now 194. I have no TRT going on now so water weight is a big part of that. It's going to be up to my mental state from now on. 

Is this a scheduled break from TRT or are you doing this because of the virus? 

49 minutes ago, Growth Factor said:

Is this a scheduled break from TRT or are you doing this because of the virus? 

The virus. Told the doc I'd rather not but he doesn't want me taking ANYTHING

Indeed.

And he looks this good with half his liver out to lunch....

Is that trendy manscaping Blu or does your chest hair actually grow in a hedgerow like that?

4 hours ago, STENDEC said:

Indeed.

And he looks this good with half his liver out to lunch....

Is that trendy manscaping Blu or does your chest hair actually grow in a hedgerow like that?

It is freshly manscaped. I actually grow a nice fur everywhere except the bottom of my feet unfortunately. 

Had a little nervous breakdown last night after lifting and forgot to post this. Well, I wouldn't call it a nervous breakdown, but it wasn't fun.

WEEK 21- INTENSIFICATION- DAY 2

A. Front Squat, full ROM, RPE 9-9.5, 1-0-X-1
95X5
135X5
185X5
225X2
280X5 RPE 10
This was like the hardest PR I've done in forever lol. And tbh I can keep beating it if I don't lose more weight.

B. Sumo Deadlift 1-0-X-1, reset reps
65X2X2
65+bandsX2
95+bandsX2
115+bandsX2
155+bandsX2
225+bandsX2X4
The band tension was about 80lbs at the top I'd say, so my top sets were 305 at the top (around 60%). Speed was not as good as I can get conventional up to. I think I'll do these every other week and I'll start building up my heavy lifts on the other weeks. 

C. Push Press 5 reps 1-1-X-1
Do one set @ RPE 9-9.5, then drop the weight 10% and do sets until you hit RPE 9-9.5 again
190X5 RPE 10
170X5 RPE 10
 Jamie was smoked on these as well. Could be from using all our energy on the front squats lol. We added a set of DB bench to get more pressing volume.

DB Bench
30X50
Not sure about the weight but it was a tough 50 reps. I'm sore today from it.

Pullup (controlled tempo, 30s rest)
Grip 1X5
Grip 2X5
Grip 3X5
Grip 4X3
I can do 20+ pullups fresh, if that reveals anything about how those front squats and DE DLs wore me out.

DB Shrug (2-0-1-1)
55X10X2 
Going to add a set or 2 of these to the end of every session for awhile to get Jamie some hypertrophy for the bar to set better on squats. Plus they're easy, so why not. She actually failed with 30s so I think she'll get a decent response from shrugs for awhile.

Manual Leg Curl
FORGOT. DAMNIT. I was looking forward to doing these. 

Oh, since I'm trying to get back into sumo (easier on a lot of body parts while getting squat up), I may as well post the shit. This is my 2nd time trying to sumo in a decade so I don't think it was THAT bad. 

5 hours ago, mwarren said:

Oh, since I'm trying to get back into sumo (easier on a lot of body parts while getting squat up), I may as well post the shit. This is my 2nd time trying to sumo in a decade so I don't think it was THAT bad. 

Screenshot_20190517-210003.png

Hahahaha knew that was coming.

FTR I am biased AGAINST sumo for general strength building and especially for beginners or non competitive lifters so I don't want this coming back to haunt me if somebody asks me to write them a program and I force them to use conventional. Time and place. I just need to see if it'll be worth trying for the meet since I'm far enough out to get a little practice and go back if needed.

I don't really even think it's that "bad" as far as a general movement for strength. It's just a different lift. As far as PL goes, it's probably superior for most folks given the shorter ROM.

5 hours ago, Kimbo said:

I don't really even think it's that "bad" as far as a general movement for strength. It's just a different lift. As far as PL goes, it's probably superior for most folks given the shorter ROM.

I am fairly short and have longish arms. Plus I remember pulling my first 4 plates sumo without practicing it when I was...I donno, way younger

WEEK 21- INTENSIFICATION- DAY 3

A. Low Bar Back Squat, controlled tempo, ramping 5 reps @RPE 9.5. Reduce weight 10% and do backoff sets until RPE 9 again.
135X5
185X5
225X5
275X3
315X1
365X1
405X5 RPE 9.5
365X5
365X5 RPE 9.5...gassed out!

B. Narrow Grip Bench Press, 5 reps, 1-X-1-1
Work up to heaviest 5 reps that don't hurt pec. Drop 10% and get volume in within reason.
At the end of the last set, do a flye stretch like you did on Day 1 using dumbbells
95X5
135X5
185X5
225X3
265X5 RPE 7
Felt good, wasn't too heavy on the pec. My pec was achey today though so I opted to skip the backdown sets and do a little DB benching instead

C1. Long ROM cable face pull (rope attachment)
60X14 

C2. Long ROM cable row to nipples 
60X15

C3. Long ROM cable row to belly button
60X15....hit failure

D. DB Bench
45X45sec

Tonight: TONS of 3D pullaparts. 

Jamie was really sick all of a sudden when it was time to train. I have had a rough go of things the last couple days anyway so we just did top sets today and left. Need to rest more, obviously.

WEEK 22- INTENSIFICATION- DAY 1

NO BACKDOWN SETS TODAY. 

A. High Bar Back Squat, full ROM, RPE 9-9.5, drop 10% for backoff sets until RPE 9 achieved.

135X5

185X5

225X5

265X1

295X1

330X5 RPE 9.5

Just grabbed another 5lbs.

B. 1/2 board Press, comp grip, 5 reps 1-1-X-1:

Do one set @ RPE 9-9.5, then drop the weight 10% and do sets until you hit RPE 9-9.5 again

At the end of the last set, use dumbells and allow your arms to drop into a flye and stretch your pecs in that position for 30sec to 1 min (however much you can tolerate)

95X5

135X5

185X5

225X5

275X1... pec felt odd today so I just dropped down. Will probably hit 280X5 next week.

225X5 RPE 5

C. Sumo Coan Row 5 reps 1-1-X-1:

Do one set @ RPE 9-9.5, then drop the weight 10% and do sets until you hit RPE 9-9.5 again

65X5

155X5

315X5 RPE 9.5

harder than doing these with a conventional stance lol

I didn't really feel like I trained much but I haven't rested much from stuff going on lately and I kinda pulled my pec a little mowing my yard. So it is what it is. Got another good high bar squat anyway.

Btw I paused the last rep on those squats like a baws. Sadly, I think I need to add another 45lbs to my oly squat to get my PL squat over 500. My quads are absolutely going to always be the lagging motherfucker. I feel like my PC gets stronger when I do anything. 

My dad had good quads without lifting. Like, 212 bodybuilder looking quads. My mom is fat and always has been so I'm not sure but her legs sure are big. I'm not sure what happened to me. My brothers are even worse off than I am. Pencil legs.

Sumo Coan rows, much like your poop, are good shit.

For what it's worth, a strong posterior chain is going to get you further than strong quads when it comes to most activities. But if it's a weakness then it's still a weakness.

WEEK 22- INTENSIFICATION- DAY 2

DROPPING VOLUME AND INCREASING INTENSITY

95X5
135X5
185X5
225X2
285X3 RPE 8.5

B. Sumo Deadlift 1-0-X-1, reset reps
65X2
155X2
155+red minisX2
245+red minisX2
315+red minisX1
365+red minisX1 RPE 8.5
About 445 at lockout. Felt shitty. My hips need to get used to these. 

C. Z-press 1-1-X-1
95X5
135X4
135X2
 I really liked these! I am really weak on them because they start at a point I'm just not strong in, so I guess this is a great choice to work on. My left side was showing glaring imbalanced weakness. I'm going to drop the weight next time.

DB Bench
45Xbunch
Pumped it to near failure

Pullup (controlled tempo, 30s rest)
Grip 4X6
Grip 3X6
Grip 2X6
Grip 1X6
The left side weakness was apparent on these as well. Something is wrong with that shoulder.

DB Shrug (2-1-1-1)
70X10

Manual Leg Curl
FORGOT AGAIN DAMNIT

Kinda unloaded a little. Going to start upping the intensity since I can't gain weight anyways right now. Might as well decrease the volume and get the motor units firing better.

Was going to lift today but Jamie wanted a break and we ended up having a friend over and they had a little Tequila. She only had 4 shots and a couple cookies so I'm proud of her getting better control over her weekend binges.

Saturday we actually went for a hike. We've done a few recently but I haven't mentioned them because they were light and short just to get me out of the house more. Saturday, however, we found a nice hilly trail with streams and such. Beautiful. It was about 4.5 miles and the pace was as quick as I can walk without running. I would like to continue doing this 2-3x per week to increase my work capacity. It is my belief that running is one of the worst things you can do to your joints, so I want to increase my walking pace until I can't, and then increase the distance and ferocity of the trail selection. I've had no aerobic capacity for far too long.

WEEK 22- INTENSIFICATION- DAY 3
TOOK ANOTHER SUPER LOW VOLUME DAY TO GET OVER THIS BAD HEALTH THING I'VE BEEN GOING THROUGH THIS PAST WEEK OR TWO

A. Low Bar Back Squat *CHANGE TO HIGH(ER) BAR NEXT TIME*
135X5
185X5
225X5
275X3
315X1
365X1
415X2 RPE 8
405X1 RPE 7
I felt strong and my knees are better than ever but my torso position prevented me from using my quads. Going to move the bar up and hit a decent amount of singles at 365-405 next week to dial things in.

B. DE Narrow Grip Bench Press, 5 reps, 1-X-1-1
95X5
135X5
185X5
225X3X3 
Pec was achey so I got some good DE work in. 

Skipped everything else and did some face pulls at home, focusing on my left arm.

3 mile hike today. 17:50/mile. Would like to get that down to 13:00/mile. I'd like to think that my aerobic capacity would be decent by that point.

WEEK 23- INTENSIFICATION- DAY 1

A. High Bar Back Squat, full ROM

135X5

185X5

225X5

275X1

335X3 RPE 7-8 honestly but I wanted to keep these fast

335X2

B. 1/2 board Press, comp grip

95X5

135X5

185X5

225X3X4

Trying to build up some speed. I'm going to use CAT and bamboo bar (jimmyrigged) for benching for now

C. Sumo Coan Row 

135X5X2

155X5

245X3

295X1+1+1+1 explosive singles

D1. Pullup Shrug (4 different grips used)

BWX12X4

D2. Cable Face Pull

50X12

45X12

40X12

35X12

After reconsidering the mechanics of what I'm trying to achieve, I realized I need to lead with my fist, not my elbow. So these became much harder.

Going to start getting my speed back since it's my specialty. Hoping I can at least maintain my strength levels through the next 2 months and hopefully I'll be in a better position to push myself and eat more at that time. I'm trying not to lose weight but I may end up getting down a bit. I wish I could explain, but it's very hard for me to eat right now.

So weight is in the 180s now lol. I'm melting. I guess my Wilks will go up LOL

WEEK 23- INTENSIFICATION- DAY 2

DROPPING VOLUME AND INCREASING INTENSITY

95X5
135X5
185X5
225X2
275X1
295X1X2 RPE wasn't 9 but close. Wanted to save gas for DLs.

B. Sumo Deadlift 1-0-X-1, reset reps
65X2
155X2
155+red minisX2
225+red minisX2X2
275+red minisX2X2
295+red minisX5
I got a lot of good speed in. I like how the bands force you to keep the bar close to your body. 

C. Z-press 1-1-X-1
95X5
115X3
135X2 RPE low but I'm correcting that left side weakness
115x7
I'm still amazed at how much easier standing presses are. This is great at finding a weakness because I can't use other muscles to correct the force production from the left side.

D. Pullup (controlled tempo, 30s rest)
Grip 1X8
Grip 2X8
Grip 4X8
Grip 3X4+4 assisted

E. Dip Shrug (2-1-1-1)
BW-30X12X3
This really hit the area of my pec that needs it. This should be easy guys but this is where my pec is fcked up.

F. Manual Leg Curl
BW+plyo pushupX8
BW+plyo pushupX7
Jamie did better than I did at these. As I suspected, my ass and lower back like to do the work my legs need to be a part of. 

Incline DB Curl
15X15 supine
15X11 neutral
Pitiful, but my arms were shot after pullups. Well, and my biceps are weak.