mwarren

Resurrection of Blu

9 hours ago, STENDEC said:

?

I'm not sure of the formal name for them. I think it's in that kelso shrug book.

Arms extended/locked on a dip bar (I used an assisted machine this time to be safe on my pec) and moving from scapular elevation to depression for reps. 

Finally had what I think are some good squats. They're always going to need work but I think I've found the position that will work for me. High bar, medium stance, toes somewhat out. Will probably point toes out more next time while I keep tinkering.

Weight: 188lbs

WEEK 23- INTENSIFICATION- DAY 3

A. Comp Squat (high bar)
135X5
185X5
225X5
275X3
315X1
365X1
365X2
365X1
I think the numbers will go up when I get a groove. These weren't hard but 365-385 was probably the top weight I could maintain the new position with.

B. Instability Narrow Grip Bench Press, controlled tempo
95X5
135X5
135+40 hanging X10X2
135+40 hanging X8
Damn, it was only 175lbs but 40lbs was hanging from bands and I got PUMPED. My triceps caught fire as well. Struck gold on this one. Perfect formy needs.

C. Long Cable Row, to nipples+to belly button
150X15+5
150X12+3

D. Cable Face Pull
50X15 then drop to
30X15

E. Manual Leg Curl
BW+plyo pushupX10

F. Incline DB Curl
15X18

G. Pullup Shrug
BWX15
BWX12

WEEK 24- INTENSIFICATION- DAY 1

A. High Bar Back Squat, full ROM

135X5

185X5

225X5

275X1

335X1

335X1

345X2 RPE 8

345X1 faster

335X2

315X2

Tried moving quickly but my quads don't respond as quickly as my PC so I had to go as fast as my quads would go to maintain position.

B. 1/2 board Press, comp grip

95X5

135X5

185X3X8 DE...ish

@Emperor G_D these were almost light enough to be DE but I can't get the bar reversing directing fast enough. This is 55%ish.... do I need to drop the weight even more or start doing fast eccentrics? I'm afraid of fast eccentrics causing bad position for my pec and I wasn't sure if they were needed unless using bands. Help? Sorry, no video this week

C. Sumo Coan Ro

135X8X2

155X8

175X8X2

Jamie's back was hurting and mine feels stiff so we took 'er easy.

D. Dip Shrug 

BWX12

Wanted to do more, but I'm a piece of shit. A lazy piece of shit.

25 minutes ago, Emperor G_D said:

You don't necessarily need to have the bar moving so quickly downward that you crash it into your chest. I'd say just make sure that you explode on the concentric like a madman.

Alright. I'll vid next week and play around with the weight to see what looks fast enough.

Haven't felt like posting since I'm just slowly getting weaker lol. I'll get back at it next session. Weight is all the way down to 182 now, BUT jaundice is dissipating FINALLY so I'm hoping my liver is getting better. Appetite was better today. Things might be turning around soon. 

4 hours ago, Emperor G_D said:

I guess I didn't pick up you going through a flare-up?

How's the job sitch?

Oh, yea, about 30lbs worth of a flare up. My jaundice is (I think) gone today though! But I can still not get back on trt until after my biopsy.

The job sitch is...the employment opportunities I want most are still not contacting me (or calling back so fml). I have gotten several offers for mechanic jobs, which is a lot more tolerable than factory work. I am waiting to hear back on a few submissions that had a friend in the company, and those would be better jobs. Especially Eaton. Bottom line, still waiting to take a job until state insurance pays for the biopsy and such, and hoping that I hear back from one of the good options before then. But I have other options lined up just in case, because we are BROKE and I can't stand being unemployed (sanity).

So, I've made my readiness as good as it can be I suppose. I can't wrap my head around the lack of calls I've gotten for how many applications I do per week. But it's life.

Guess I should start making some updates. My gym decided that they won't allow deadlifts at all anymore and removed the bar from the platform in lieu of a trap bar. I got into it with the manager who was trying to tell me that it was better in every way blablabla. I bite my tongue almost all of the time when I argue with somebody because when I get mad, I get vicious. Needless to say, he pushed me too far so I had to tell Jamie to go fill up our water bottles. When I finished, his co-worker started laughing and said, "Daaaamn, straight to the jugular!" Then the manager said "Well, there won't be a weight limit with the trap bar so you can lift as much as you want." Gee, thanks. 

So, I have nothing against the trap bar, especially for accessory work or even as a main movement from time to time. BUT, it is NOT the competition movement. For now, I'm just going to use it until I am financially able to afford a good gym in the city next door.

A. Front Squat, full ROM, RPE 9-9.5, 1-0-X-1
95X5
135X5
185X5
225X2
275X3
225X3

B. Trap Bar Deadlift 1-0-X-1, reset reps
75X5
125X5
165X3
185X1
275X1
345X1
395X1

C. Z-press 1-1-X-1
95X5
115X3
135X5
115x8
Getting better at these

D. Pullup (controlled tempo, 30s rest)
Grip 3X8X3

E. Pulluo Shrug (2-1-1-1)
BWX12X3

Incline DB Curl
15X15 
15X15 left bicep at failure...something wrong because my right bicep can probably do double the weight for the same volume

39 minutes ago, STENDEC said:

That is sort of an interesting stance to take....the argument is that the trap bar is safer?

That's probably true for the untrained, unmonitored, uninitiated gym attendee. But given practice, either movement is safe, and either can be dangerous if overloaded beyond one's capacity to handle the respective weight. 

Anyways, might be time to supplement your training with some good mornings until you can do normal deadlifts?

Safer? Probably because the movement is different and keeps the weight down. 

It's harder to do, it's stupid, I hate it.

I heard a challenge in what the manager told you...there won't be a weight limit. So add weights until you need to duct tape them on, just to fucking show him.

It's not a total wash, but you'll need to DL at some point some time... You could probably get away with trap bar DL + GMs until you can find a place to do DLs.

Just come work out in my garage. I have weights, and food.

9 hours ago, Growth Factor said:

That's probably true for the untrained, unmonitored, uninitiated gym attendee. But given practice, either movement is safe, and either can be dangerous if overloaded beyond one's capacity to handle the respective weight. 

Anyways, might be time to supplement your training with some good mornings until you can do normal deadlifts?

Looks like it!

3 hours ago, Emperor G_D said:

Safer? Probably because the movement is different and keeps the weight down. 

It's harder to do, it's stupid, I hate it.

I heard a challenge in what the manager told you...there won't be a weight limit. So add weights until you need to duct tape them on, just to fucking show him.

Lol i thought about it since it was pretty much maxed out with 395. I think it had room for another plate. I could fill the bar and duct tape some 25s on top, taking extra long breaks so they'd be sure to see. I'd need extra long breaks at that weight anyway

3 hours ago, Kimbo said:

It's not a total wash, but you'll need to DL at some point some time... You could probably get away with trap bar DL + GMs until you can find a place to do DLs.

Just come work out in my garage. I have weights, and food.

Well, I finally got an interview with Perrigo, so I might have the money to join a better gym within 2-3 months. That'll give me 3 months before the comp to practice my DLs. 

13 hours ago, mwarren said:

Lol i thought about it since it was pretty much maxed out with 395. I think it had room for another plate.

I'm pretty sure a trap bar will hold 495# of regular steel plates, possibly more depending on your clips.

And if you were not getting ready for a meet, I'd say don't worry about it....it's a somewhat "easier" lift in that the weight is better positioned than in a standard DL but it hits most of the same muscles in the same way...some notable differences being far less biceps activation and  somewhat less loading of the lower back and more loading at the knee but the TBDL actually allows the development of higher peak force and power than conventional...

I'm wondering how it is that three of you have seen a trap bar as tiny as you guys are describing it. I had one at my UVa gym, there were 3 at my Cville gym, and there's 3 at each Gold's I've been to and my VCU gym in RVA. All 7 of those bars could easily hold anywhere from 605 to about 765#. I know this because I've deadlifted 605 from the UVa one, I've seen somebody do 765 on the Cville gym one, and the ones I've seen in RVA are the same brand as the ones in Cville.