mwarren

Resurrection of Blu

7 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

Don't do 30% all the time. Ramp up, and be sure to deload. Also adjust RPE weekly.

Yea I was think something like 10-30-30 but you're right. I'll try to ramp it up smoother and adjust RPE based on both ramping and feel (body/mind).

10-30-30 is cool. Just didn't want you to not have any down time. Are you wanting to do 3 week blocks? I'd make one week 0%.

3 hours ago, Kimbo said:

10-30-30 is cool. Just didn't want you to not have any down time. Are you wanting to do 3 week blocks? I'd make one week 0%.

Yea you got it. 4 weeks when I add the 0% week. I always just think of the ramping weeks when I count but yea they're 4 week blocks in totality. And I can't wait for that week. But I'm gonna earn it over the next 2 sessions. Might be my last 2 sessions before I start working. Things might get shitty for a bit lol. Jk I'm too obsessive to completely fuck up my training. Might stop grooming, but won't skip training.

The Y center is way better than it was before. All everything I'd need except for specialty bars, but that's no biggie compared to the stuff I can be thankful for. There's even a legit GHR. FINALLY.

CAT Skwought

45X5

135X5X2

185X3X2

225X3

275X2X12

Sumo DL

315X5X5 

Fatigue only reached like 7.5% but I'm re-learning this movement so fuck it. Plus I could have maybe done more sets but my shins were skinned. Need to remember long socks. I like my video of it though. Might post it from Jamie's phone tomorrow.

Leg Press

45X20

245X12X6

First set felt like RPE 8 but then it got easier so I needed 6 sets. Probably getting used to the movement. I'd rather do split squats but my partners are pussies.

GHR

BWX10X2

Need to mess with positions more. Kinda awkward but really hit my hams.

Hanging Knee to Elbow Touch

0X4 lol

I don't like randomly changing my accessories around like I kinda have been but as long as I keep the number of choices small, it'll be fine. No need to fret about that shit at this point. 

Last night:

CAT Bench

45X15

95X10

135X5X2

185X3

210X3X8 or 9

Started slowing down around set 5 instead of getting faster until the end like usual. I think I'm both 1)increasing my force production thus making me tire more quickly, and 2)at a point where fatigue just now passed fitness. These are both good things at this point and I think I'm starting to understand some programming concepts better from a practical standpoint.

Pullup

BWX15 grip 1 RPE 8

BWX15 grip 2

BWX15 grip 3 RPE 9.5-10*

BWX8 grip 1 RPE 9

BWX8 grip 2 RPE 9.5

*normally should stop there but I wanted to push it a little more before the deload coming up. Also, I felt that the high reps and shorter than usual rest periods caused the RPE you go up exaggeratedly. @Kimbo did I make the right choice?

Incline Bench

185X8X4 RPE from 8 to 9.5

Rope Face Pull

55X15X5 RPE from 7 to 9

Fatigue is definitely accumulated but I feel GREAT. So, 2 more sessions after 2 days off, then I think I'll have a very productive deload so long as I eat well.

My wrists have been hurting a bit, essentially from just bearing weight. They don't hurt in any particular direction and I don't bend my wrists back under the barbell. They just need to de-compress a little. They're actually not bad today. I wore wrist wraps the last few sessions. I think they'll be fine in a few more days but certainly after the deload.

4 minutes ago, mwarren said:

Pullup

BWX15 grip 1 RPE 8

BWX15 grip 2

BWX15 grip 3 RPE 9.5-10*

BWX8 grip 1 RPE 9

BWX8 grip 2 RPE 9.5

*normally should stop there but I wanted to push it a little more before the deload coming up. Also, I felt that the high reps and shorter than usual rest periods caused the RPE you go up exaggeratedly. @Kimbo did I make the right choice?

Should be fine. See how you feel after the deload. Normally you would want to ratchet up volume or intensity prior to a deload, but it depends on what you did before that, and how much/long of a deload you're taking.

Barely made it through this session. Got the flu the night after my last session. Er, that's when I felt it kick in. Was horrible yesterday; was a smidge better today. Decided to man up and get to the gym. Deload after tomorrow so the timing is good. Didn't get any progression over last week but I think I did what I could. It took a lot of willpower.

Bamboo Squat

45X10

135X8

185X5

225X3

275X1

295X8X3

340X7 <---straight weight

Decided to use straight weight for my last set to see if my calculations were on point for the bamboo vs straight weight ratio I came up with. Pretty close.

RDL

335X5X3

GHR

BWX10X3 

Walking Lunge

Lots of steps around the basement.

Those squats were hard as fuck. When I get the flu, my work capacity drops like a mufucka. My legs feel stronger than they ever have, though, even now. I'm exited to switch to straight weight and get at some heavy 5s after the deload. If I'm doing sets of 365X5 at RPE 8, I'll be stronger than I've ever been. Shit that sounds weak lol.

16 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

I'm impressed that you're lifting at all while you have the flu. The flu lays me out.

Well, I haven't started working yet so essentially I've been in the optimal situation with tons of rest. Just had to pull it together for an hour. 

4 hours ago, Kimbo said:

I'm impressed that you're lifting at all while you have the flu. The flu lays me out.

Ya I would have probably still rested some more haha. Sickness keeps me out of the gym most of the time.

1 hour ago, Tomahawk007 said:

Ya I would have probably still rested some more haha. Sickness keeps me out of the gym most of the time.

I made a pact with myself to try not to be so much of a pussy this go-around. I spent my early years dedicated as fuck, without knowing what I was doing. Then as I gained knowledge and realized what I could get away with and maintain decent aesthetics/strength, I got lazier and lazier and would skip sessions for any ole reason. I certainly wouldn't go lift if I knew it would only be detrimental to my health, but if that's not the case I'm going to do the best I can to be there. I'm not working with a healthy musculoskeletal system anymore. I can't just walk in and bench 350 after training for a month anymore. My bad pec needs to grow from scratch. And I can't walk in and DL like a madman anymore either. It takes a lot more time and planning the older I get. So, consistency and shit.

Forgot to post this a couple days ago. Last upper body session of the cycle. Was still sick. On deload now. Haven't trained yet. Will tomorrow. Feeling better. Short sentences.

Bamboo Bench

45X18

95X8

135X5

185X3X2

225X8X4

Pullup

BW+50X5X5 

Didn't think I'd PR in something (feeling like shit and fatigued) but it happens randomly sometimes

Strict Press

135X5X3

135X6

Incline DB Prone Row

65X8X4

External Rotation

10X25ea

DB Concentration Curl

15X25X2

Was really pooped. Trying to get better and inflate this week.

Deload

CAT Squat

45X10X2

95X5X2

135X3X2

185X2X2

225X2

275X2

315X1

Took it extra easy. 

Sumo DL

135X5

225X3

315X2

405X2

Still getting a groove with these but that felt light. My sumo is probably around 530-550 due to technique but I think I can break 600 with it if I get it working for me. Fits my structure well. I'm just not applying the right forces at the right times. Would be nice to have some wrestling shoes or converse to do these in. The socks are obviously slidey. And I'm not going barefoot in this AIDS infested city. So, short list of sumo things to take care of: synchronicity, foot position, flat shoes, long socks. 

My right pec tendon is harder than rock. The scar tissue is just out of control. I need to figure out some accessories to get mobility in that area and make sure that shit isn't so tear-prone. My bench was always my best lift and made up for my squat. Need to get it back.

10 hours ago, Tomahawk007 said:

I heard Battle Creek, Michigan today and thought of you. That is all.

What did you hear about? The pepper spray mob attack? I want to know what you all hear lol

6 hours ago, mwarren said:

What did you hear about? The pepper spray mob attack? I want to know what you all hear lol

Uhhhh no haha. I saw an old friend of mine driving down the road and I yelled at him. So we stopped and caught up what has been going on. He went up to Michigan to visit another old friend who he had kept in touch with. He works in Battle Creek and lives in Traverse City(I believe). When he said Battle Creek I had to ask to make sure haha.

Deload

CAT Bench

45X20

95X5X2

135X5X2

185X3X3

225X3

Pullup

BWX8X2

Boring stuff but I really needed to unload my pecs. Next 2 sessions will be in-between how the last 2 were and what the first week of the next cycle will be. Little acclimating but definitely still unloading.

Deload

CAT Squat

45X5

95X5

135X5X2

185X2X2

225X2

275X2X2

315X2

365X2

RDL

225X5X2

Haven't had over 300lbs on my back in awhile so it'll take some easing into it. 

Deload (yesterday)

CAT Bench

45X10X2

95X5

135X3X2

185X3X2

225X3X2

275X3

Pullup

BW+25X5x2

Incline DB Bench

65X8

Chest Supported Row

70X8

Tried to not generate fatigue with the accessories while using figuring out a good starting point for next week. I'm feeling really good and can't wait to get started tomorrow.

21 hours ago, STENDEC said:

I was assuming there'd be a joke about the CAT Bench eventually, but I thought it would be a meme picture with a cat-back style setup for bench

First session was easy and I have no pain anywhere. I suck at sumo's but on the bright side there's plenty of progress room and they don't beat me up AT ALL. 

Box Jump

Small box X5

High box X5

CAT Squat

45X5

135X3X2

185X2X2

225X2X2

275X2X2

315X2X2

365X2X2 reverse green bands

Sumo DL

365X5X3 

Started at RPE 7 and ended at RPE 8.5. I'll bump things up next week. 

Leg Press

445X8X3

GHR

BWX8X3

Hanging Knee-to-elbow

BWX8X2

I'd put overall fatigue between 10 and 15% today. Not a bad introductory session and I feel stronger than ever at 188lbs. Tomorrow will be similar fatigue-wise then it'll start ramping up. 

Some footage:

The bands took 35lbs from the top and 60 from the bottom, as long as I measured the bottom correctly when hanging the bar with weights. They couldn't pull the empty bar off of starting height so the pull was less than 45, I guess 35. I like how it felt for fsster work so I'll probably be using them a bit.

I see now that I could try shoving my hips into the bar more. Not a solid hinge IMO. The balance is so different for sumo...