mwarren

Resurrection of Blu

I took a deload, been eating like crazy. Feel much better now. Going to start building back up now. Here were the last two sessions after the mini deload:

Lower:

Circuit (10 reps ea)

GHR

Push-up

Band Face Pull

Back Raise

Push-up

Band Face Pull

Band Shoulder Dislocates

Band Overhead Lunge

CAT Squat, low bar

45X10

135X2X2

185X2

225X2

245X2

275X2

295X2

315X2

225X2

CAT Sumo DL

135X1X2

225X1X5

275X1X5

High Step-up

BWX10ea

GHR

BWX15

Hanging Ab

X10

Upper:

Circuit (10 reps ea)

GHR

Push-up

Band Face Pull

Back Raise

Push-up

Band Face Pull

Band Shoulder Dislocates

Band Overhead Lunge

CAT Bench, alternating narrow and wide grip

45X10

95X3X2

135X3X2

155X3X2

175X3X2

185X3X2

205X3X2

225X3X2

Pullup

BW+45X5X5

Press

135X5X5

Feeling great. Gonna build up using 5X5 on stuff. 

Circuit (10 reps ea)

GHR

Push-up

Band Face Pull

Back Raise

Push-up

Band Face Pull

Band Shoulder Dislocates

Band Overhead Lunge

Front Squat

45X5X2

95X5

135X5

185X5X5

RDL 

185X5X5

Step Up

0X5X5

Takin it slow

Circuit (10-15 reps ea)

GHR

Push-up

Band Face Pull

Back Raise

Push-up

Band Face Pull

Band Shoulder Dislocates

Band Overhead Lunge

A1. CG Bench

45X5X2

95X5

135X5

175X5

195X5X5

A2. Pullup, alternating grips 

BW+45X5X5

B1. DB Incline Bench

50X10X2

+wtd stretch

B2. CSR

45X10X2

C. Band Pushdown

Purple X60

It was actually getting hard to finish the bench and pullup sets because I haven't done superset style in awhile.  Saved a lot of time. I think I was only training for about 40min.

I slept for almost 6hrs after that and now I'm at work, really feeling wiped out. Hard to believe that wore me out but that's why I'm doing an 8 day training week now and giving myself lots of room for intensity progression.  

Lower:

Circuit (12-15 reps ea)

GHR

Push-up

Band Face Pull

Back Raise

Push-up

Band Face Pull

Band Shoulder Dislocates

Band Overhead Lunge

CAT Squat, low bar

45X10

135X2

185X2X2

225X2X2

245X2

275X2

295X2

315X2

295X2

275X2

245X2

CAT Sumo DL

275X1X10

Didn't do anything else but the warmup keeps me well rounded anyway. I haven't felt this good in a long time. I think taking a step backwards with the hepatitis turned out to be a good thing.  

What's a good front squat goal for somebody wishing to squat  500? 275X5? 315X1? @Growth Factor@Emperor G_D@Kimbo

I'll be God damned if I don't squat 500 in 2020.

I've Fsquatted in the 4s with a 600+ squat. I never focused on it much. I think if one wants to squat big, one must squat. Not real sure it matters what kind, as long as you do.

There might be a fsquat:squat ratio out there that turns out to be accurate. Uncle Kim should know if so...

8 hours ago, Emperor G_D said:

I've Fsquatted in the 4s with a 600+ squat. I never focused on it much. I think if one wants to squat big, one must squat. Not real sure it matters what kind, as long as you do.

There might be a fsquat:squat ratio out there that turns out to be accurate. Uncle Kim should know if so...

Thanks that helps. I'm not overly concerned with a ratio, but I know that my quads are the limiting muscle group in my squat. 

So, you have strong legs compared to your back when you squat and you were squatting 40-50% more than your FSqt. I want to squat more like you so I think I need to get my leg power up to like a 350 front squat. That's going to take a looooot of work. But, I needed that perspective. 

I will chime in even though it is not quite the same. I don't front squat but I do Frankenstein and Zercher squats which I feel like are close enough gauge. I haven't tested it lately, but I feel confident enough to say I can squat 500 or at least very close. I would guess my Zercher squat is close to 390 and my Frankenstein squat is close to 350 which are both guesses based on 5 rep sets. My deadlift has always been much stronger. I would guess it is in the high 5s right now. The gap seemed to be closing when I was squatting 3 times a week (back & Zercher, frankstein, hack). I think my limiting factor is quads. I think if I get my quad strength up it will improve both my squat and deadlift. Moral of the story figure out what is limiting you and bring it up.

10 hours ago, Emperor G_D said:

There you go. The sad answer for you Michael, is that you'll need to basically Fsquat 450 to squat 500. lol

Probably something like 315x15 or something like that...

Man, the thing is, you're probably right. I want to be squatting with a style more similar to yours (perfect hybrid using PC but still upright) to reduce the recovery and injury BS associated with my old squat style (no legs).

I'm going to need to get my quads much stronger. I'm as far away from competitive intensity as it gets right now so all my numbers are low but I think I'm going to push along SLOWLY until both my bench and FSqt are 405. I think it's reasonable, given that I have dramatic strength increases when I wind the volume down to almost nothing. 

4 hours ago, Tomahawk007 said:

I will chime in even though it is not quite the same. I don't front squat but I do Frankenstein and Zercher squats which I feel like are close enough gauge. I haven't tested it lately, but I feel confident enough to say I can squat 500 or at least very close. I would guess my Zercher squat is close to 390 and my Frankenstein squat is close to 350 which are both guesses based on 5 rep sets. My deadlift has always been much stronger. I would guess it is in the high 5s right now. The gap seemed to be closing when I was squatting 3 times a week (back & Zercher, frankstein, hack). I think my limiting factor is quads. I think if I get my quad strength up it will improve both my squat and deadlift. Moral of the story figure out what is limiting you and bring it up.

Thank you, that kinda confirms the rest. I need a 350X5 or 405X1 front squat. My DL will just "be" 600 or 650 if I get my squat up to 500, and it's always been like that. My quads are absolutely the limiting factor, no doubt. It's one of those glaringly obvious things that nobody would disagree about. 

I think you've gotten the answer you were looking for, but I was going to venture a suggestion of about 80% prior to the others. The thing is that both are technique-involved movements that are different enough that you could be a master at one, a novice at another, and have a magnified strength difference due to skill difference, not weak muscles/muscular imbalances.

This discussion would have a more meaningful answer for weightlifters where a front squat has far more transference in the sport than it does in powerlifting, to the point that having a great gap could indicate a problem. 

Agree 100% with Rolo.

I would just approach it this way: don't worry about the percentage, worry about wether or not your competition lift improves as a result of doing more quad work.

I propose you make a change in how you structure your workouts...it's hard to be a good squatter when you squat, bench and deadlift in a session. So go in and do single movement workouts.

Warm up to squat. Squat. Accessorize with some squats. Do a quad-dominant exercise to finish it off (does your new gym have a sled? Because after this workout, pushing and pulling a sled will make a man of you).

Warm up to DL. DL. Do a DL accessory. Push and Pull a sled, or do GHR or whatever.

Warm up to bench. Bench. Do bench accessory work (CGBP, board press, etc.). Finish with abs or something. Think about doing this up to 2x per week, though I know you have a mental weakness when it comes to benching, so I won't relentlessly push you on this.

If meet performance is your goal, be sure to specialize your workouts. 

Thanks, guys. Always good wisdom or reminders here.

Rolo/Kim, I hadn't really thought of it from that direction but I wasn't super into the % per se. I know I need to drastically improve my quad strength based on the numbers however. I just need to beef these bad boys up until they aren't the limiting factor in my comp squat. And I know that all squats pretty much hit the quads the same theoretically, but my execution and the recovery issues play into using the front squat as a primary builder. 

Sam, I will listen. I've already started doing that, but don't have a DL day because the recovery needs to be spent on legs for now. I'm pretty basic right now but I'll gear into more of what you're saying as I get things rolling along. Gimme a little while to get my base back lol

Good session again. This volume with the lower frequency may seem pretty low, because it is lol, but it is working for my hefty schedule. 

Circuit (10-15 reps ea)

GHR

Push-up

Band Face Pull

Back Raise

Push-up

Band Face Pull

Band Shoulder Dislocates

Band Overhead Lunge

A1. CAT Bench, alternating narrow and wide grip

45X10

95X3X2

135X3X2

155X3X2

175X3X2

185X3X2

205X3

225X3

245X3

Wide grip is feeling... very good...I can't believe it. Need to make sure not to press my luck and keep it slow. 

A2. Pullup, 3 grips

BW+45X5X4

BW+45X6

B1. Press

135X5X5

Didn't have to cheat any reps this time lol

B2. Hammer Curl

25X8X4

25X10

Man, my body has been healing up and feeling much better to the point that I almost can't believe it.  But I do deserve it.

Forgot to post this the other day: 

Circuit (15 reps ea)

GHR

Push-up

Band Face Pull

45° Back Raise

Push-up

Band Face Pull

Band Shoulder Dislocates

Band Overhead Lunge

A. Front Squat

45X5

95X5

135X5

155X3

175X3

195X5X5

Used straps to get into position and my tspine was in a much more appropriate situation. That was rather easy.

B1. RDL

195X5X4

B2. Step-up 

0X5ea

20X5ea

30X5ea

40X5ea

I think I might need to go heavier still. 

That was it. Hit my numbers pretty easily

Here's some BS though. I was sleeping and woke up with an INTENSE need to vomit. Made it to the toilet just in time. Puked so much that I filled the toilet to the brim. Then, I got back to sleep for an hour and IT HAPPENED AGAIN.  Then a third time.  I barely slept and lost so much weight. Fucking fuck. And then, my boss called me at 730am and told me that I needed to take someone's shift. So, I'm at work still and haven't been able to eat a thing. Quite low on energy. During my last break, I peed and it was dark brown. So I guess my help C is flaring back up and somehow making me nauseated. I feel like no matter how hard I try,  I just can't progress for long before my liver gets shitty and I lose weight and get weak. It's frustrating as fuck, guys. 

I have stopped vomiting. It tasted like bile. Disgusting. I'm gonna eat based on feel today then hopefully tomorrow I can carb load. 

I took a shitload of TUDCA and I think it really helped clear out my liver because I had the darkest urine I've ever seen followed by fairly good looking urine. I might be in seriously bad condition had I never known about TUDCA. They couldn't figure out how my liver looked "okay" at various times with such high viral loads and I think it must be the TUDCA and taurine. Maybe the fact that I've been lifting consistently for 16 years has something to do with my ability to cheat death so many times lol. I've survived two flat-line overdoses, a heart attack that resulted in no damage, and now this. I knew I was part Saiyan. 

4 hours ago, mwarren said:

I have stopped vomiting. It tasted like bile. Disgusting. I'm gonna eat based on feel today then hopefully tomorrow I can carb load. 

I took a shitload of TUDCA and I think it really helped clear out my liver because I had the darkest urine I've ever seen followed by fairly good looking urine. I might be in seriously bad condition had I never known about TUDCA. They couldn't figure out how my liver looked "okay" at various times with such high viral loads and I think it must be the TUDCA and taurine. Maybe the fact that I've been lifting consistently for 16 years has something to do with my ability to cheat death so many times lol. I've survived two flat-line overdoses, a heart attack that resulted in no damage, and now this. I knew I was part Saiyan. 

Damn, man. Hang in there. Sounds like you're onto something with the TUDCA, though. 

4 hours ago, Emperor G_D said:

Also, if this vomitfest has anything to do time-wise with the cramping, then I'd blame that for fucking up your electrolytes. 

The cramping has been going on since I started this job when I think back, leading me to believe your other hypothesis is correct. But the vomiting probably didn't help!