mwarren

Resurrection of Blu

My appointment is in 10hrs. I'll keep y'all posted on whether or not I'm going to suffer a miserable death from Hep C. 

I actually don't think anything about this demands a long recovery even worst case scenario. Plus they can cure hep C now. But, honestly, that shouldn't be the case because I've never been THAT stupid.

Thanks, guys. 

Final conclusion should be on with my blood test results Friday or Monday. I had it rushed so hopefully Friday.

So far, we know that my liver is fucked because apparently it's inflamed badly. Based on other info, it's not likely that i have a blockage. 

Just need to figure out which hepatitis i have. 

I think bile acids will help with liver performance, but not viral loads or markers:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12804455

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

The viral hepatitides are common causes of liver diseases globally. Trials have assessed bile acids for patients with viral hepatitis, but no consensus was reached regarding their usefulness.

OBJECTIVES:

To assess the beneficial and harmful effects of bile acids for viral hepatitis.

SEARCH STRATEGY:

Searches were performed of the trial registers of The Cochrane Hepato-Biliary Group (September 2002), The Cochrane Library (Issue 2, 2002), MEDLINE (September 2002), EMBASE (September 2002), and The Chinese Biomedical Database (April 2001).

SELECTION CRITERIA:

Randomised clinical trials comparing any dose or duration of bile acids versus placebo or no intervention for viral hepatitis were included, irrespective of language, publication status, or blinding.

DATA COLLECTION AND ANALYSIS:

Two reviewers extracted the data independently. The methodological quality of the trials was evaluated with respect to generation of the allocation sequence, allocation concealment, double blinding, and follow-up. The outcomes were presented as relative risks (RR) or weighted mean differences (WMD) with 95% confidence intervals (CI).

MAIN RESULTS:

We identified 27 randomised trials of bile acids for hepatitis B or C; none were of high methodological quality. In one trial, ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) versus placebo for acute hepatitis B significantly reduced the risk of hepatitis B surface antigen positivity at the end of treatment and serum HBV DNA level at the end of follow-up. In another trial, UDCA versus no intervention for chronic hepatitis B significantly reduced the risk of having abnormal serum transaminase activities at the end of treatment. Twenty-five trials compared bile acids (21 trials UDCA; four trials tauro-UDCA) versus placebo or no intervention with or without co-interventions for chronic hepatitis C. Bile acids did not significantly reduce the risk of having detectable serum HCV RNA (RR 0.99, 95% CI 0.91 to 1.07), cirrhosis, or portal and periportal inflammation score at the end of treatment. Bile acids significantly decreased the risk of having abnormal serum alanine aminotransferase activity at the end of treatment (RR 0.82, 95% CI 0.76 to 0.90) and follow-up (RR 0.91, 95% CI 0.85 to 0.98). Bile acids significantly increased the Knodell score (WMD 0.20, 95% CI 0.08 to 0.31) at the end of treatment. No severe adverse events were reported. We did not identify trials including patients with hepatitis A, acute C, D, or E.

REVIEWER'S CONCLUSIONS:

Bile acids lead to a significant improvement in serum transaminase activities in hepatitis B and C. There is insufficient evidence either to support or to refute effects on viral markers, mortality, incidence of cirrhosis, or liver histology. Trials with high methodological quality are required.

TUDCA resolves a specific effect of oral AAS on the liver called cholestasis so I don't know how helpful it would be here.

Grapeseed extract and silymarin might be worth looking at.

And while you resist my feedback on taurine and liver health @STENDEC, supplemental taurine improves liver health-even in hepatitis sufferers:

2008 Aug;35(2):469-73. Epub 2007 Aug 10.

Dietary amino acid taurine ameliorates liver injury in chronic hepatitis patients.

Abstract

The effect of dietary amino acid taurine on the liver function of chronic hepatitis patients was investigated. The 24 chronic hepatitis patients with 2-5 times over normal activities of alanine aminotransferase (ALT) or aspartate aminotransferase (AST) were selected and equally divided into taurine treatment and control groups. In taurine treatment group, each patient took 2 g taurine 3 times a day for three months, and then stopped treatment for 1 month. Patients taking placebo without taurine for 4 months served as a control group. ALT and AST activities and levels of cholesterol, triglyceride and thiobarbituric acid relative substances of serum plasma in the taurine group were all decreased at the end of three month treatment. The study suggested that dietary amino acid taurine may ameliorate liver injury for chronic hepatitis patients.

PMID:

DOI:

10.1007/s00726-007-0565-5

3 hours ago, Emperor G_D said:

And while you resist my feedback on taurine and liver health

I don't resist it. Taurine is good stuff for lots of reasons.

It's just not a substitute for TUDCA because the heavy lifter in that compound is the UDCA not the T.

2 minutes ago, STENDEC said:

I don't resist it. Taurine is good stuff for lots of reasons.

It's just not a substitute for TUDCA because the heavy lifter in that compound is the UDCA not the T.

Yet I provide studies that show-in spite of your UDCA fascination-that Taurine does in fact keep livers nice and healthy.

2 minutes ago, Emperor G_D said:

Yet I provide studies that show-in spite of your UDCA fascination-that Taurine does in fact keep livers nice and healthy.

Not all liver insults are the same. NAC is a broadly useful liver protectant in many instances and is a specific remedy for acetaminophen induced liver injury but does little for hepatitis....same with TUDCA when it comes to AAS toxicity but is also likely useless for hepatitis.

There's nothing wrong with taurine, and it is probably generally good for your liver, but if you are using oral AAS,  IMO it is not a substitute for TUDCA.

I stand corrected...TUDCA might help in hepatitis....at least the UDCA part might.

Gastroenterology. 1990 Apr;98(4):1044-50.
Effects of ursodeoxycholic acid and taurine on serum liver enzymes and bile acids in chronic hepatitis.
Podda M1, Ghezzi C, Battezzati PM, Crosignani A, Zuin M, Roda A.

Hydrophobic bile acids have been shown to be hepatotoxic, whereas treatment with ursodeoxycholic acid, a hydrophilic bile acid, has improved liver function indices in patients with chronic liver disease. Taurine administration has also been suggested to be useful for chronic hepatitis, taurine-conjugated bile acids being more hydrophilic than glycine-conjugated bile acids. To determine if taurine and ursodeoxycholic acid are beneficial and if their effects are additive, a double-blind, randomized trial was designed comparing the effects of ursodeoxycholic acid, taurine, and a combination of the two on indices of liver injury in 24 patients with chronic hepatitis. They were assigned at random to two of the four following treatments: ursodeoxycholic acid (600 mg/day), taurine (1.5 g/day), ursodeoxycholic acid plus taurine (600 mg + 1.5 g/day) or placebo, given in two successive cycles of 2 mo each, according to a balanced incomplete-block design. Ursodeoxycholic acid became the predominant biliary bile acid when administered alone or in combination with taurine, and taurine conjugate levels increased during taurine administration. Ursodeoxycholic acid reduced aspartate aminotransferase (35%), alanine aminotransferase (33%), and gamma-glutamyl transpeptidase (41%), whereas taurine alone did not. The addition of taurine to ursodeoxycholic acid produced only minor changes in the effects of ursodeoxycholic acid alone. Results were confirmed by the administration of ursodeoxycholic acid, in a successive open phase of the study, to the entire patient population, which was large enough for different subsets of patients to be compared. Serum bile acids were measured at entry and during the open phase: primary bile acids did not change, whereas ursodeoxycholic acid levels increased from trace amounts to very high levels, especially in patients with more severe histological disease. It is concluded that ursodeoxycholic acid, but not taurine, improves enzymatic indices of liver injury in chronic hepatitis.

PMID: 1968871

To be fair, the taurine dose used in this study was pretty meager.

On 8/2/2018 at 3:44 PM, Emperor G_D said:

Where do you think you picked it up from?

Honestly, I could make a laundry list from 2.5yrs-->8yrs back, but from my understanding it is usually picked up recently when acute and severe symptoms happen. When I used, I never shared anything. But that doesn't guarantee anything either. And then the slew of whores in between my ex and Jamie. I'm stumped but I'm sure it was something I did to myself.

Honestly, I'm going to take a gram of TUDCA and tuarine both per day. Why not? I read enough to see that at the very least, there were no negative effects on acute hep C patients. My liver became quite inflamed but is now not so bad again. Tudca and tuarine arrive tomorrow. Meds will likely start Monday. Nothing to worry about that worrying will fix. Besides, there is no pain and I am not restricted in my activities or work. 

I lifted a little but nothing that would cause or require abdominal pressure. Just blood flow. I don't want to get too worried and stop doing what keeps me sane.