mwarren

Resurrection of Blu

On 9/19/2018 at 12:06 AM, mwarren said:

Another 100lbs to my rep work before i even feel like calling it training when i have to share a subforum with Sam and GF. Fuckers.

I can't wait for us all to be in tip top

I mean I just did a workout where I squatted 5 sets of 2 with a weight I had previously used for a set of 20. I'm also fat and trying to recomp, so sparing going on cycle, it'll prob be a while before I shoot up in the weights department. Should give you some time to catch up

I'm just very thin on time right now so I'll post the important parts of the workout from yesterday and maybe post the vid if I feel like it later. The point of the vid, though, is that things are really looking better and my slowest rep was still no more than a few seconds. 

Squat

315x5x3

Press

150x5x3

DL

315x5

Bench

195x5x3

I'm going to do sets of 7 reps instead of increasing weight on the next wave. Tension seems to be the issue until the pec is well adjusted

Pullup, all grips

BWx5x5

A little bit of other crap but I was tired and it doesn't matter since I fucked of with it.

Did a ton of mobility work and glute min activating. My right hip is going to take a lot of work from many angles. I'll lay things out another day.

We're moving into our new house in a few  days, finally. Lots of personal stuff going on and it's exciting but taking a toll.

Half way done fixing up the house and moving things over. Haven't missed any training actually but I've been cramming everything in without wasting a minute throughout my days. 

My last session:

Squat

355x5

Press

165x5

DL

355x5

Bench

205x7

Pullup

BWx5x5

GHR

BW+25x8x3

YTW

8x12+12+12

Pushup

BWx10x3

Weight is around 195

Got done fixing the walls in the house and found out I need to replace most of the bathroom walls when I went to install a fixture. I feel like this house is fucking with me at this point. I could make a list a mile long with all the little surprises.

Training has been hard and I am sure I will need a proper deload in one more microcycle tops. 

Squat

355x5x2

Press

165x5x2

DL

355x5

My friend recorded me and it looks really good, but my lats are flaring hard and they feel susceptible to tearing for some reason. They've gotten much bigger lately. I wonder if they are over-activating

Bench

205x7x2

Pullup

BWx5x3

GHR

25x8

BWx8

YTW

??

Incline pushup

BWx10x2

I was doing arm feeder/pump sets with bands or whatever every night or nearly so for the last 2 months with my mobility work but that had gone to the wayside. Not much mobility work lately either. But I'll bring it back when I have time and recovery. The pump work every night did certainly jack my arms up. I think they hold a lot more glycogen now. Maybe there's something else to it but I don't want to babble about theory

On 10/2/2018 at 7:34 PM, Emperor G_D said:

I've never heard of a torn lat from deadlifting. I think the risk is just about nil.

Did you guys buy the house?

I'd agree except I had a teres start tearing from DL not too long before I started logging again. Few months before. Took a long time to heal enough just to put my arm overhead. So....I must be in an odd situation. I sent kim a vid. He couldn't see anything wrong. I just don't know. I'll get a vid tonight of a rep.

But yea, got the house and almost done fixing it. So much fixing. Christ.

Edit: yea bought, not renting

Squat

355x5x3

Press

165x5x3

DL

355x1x5 broke it into singles with 30s in-between to work on the issue

Bench

205x7x3

Pullup

BWx5x3 

GHR

BW+25x10

Incline Pushup

BWx50ish

BB Curl

45x15

Went easy on pullups. Giving my lats a break for awhile. 

SOOO I didn't feel the lat issue today on deads. I did them as a cluster set and tried to let my upper back come forward as felt natural while keeping everything tight enough to get the job done. I would really like more input though. 

DEFINITELY TIME TO DELOAD. So, my next few sessions are going to be a bit lax but not lazy. I feel like I've built up a fair amount of fatigue and cannot take anymore without it being equal to any strength gains. I'm hoping for a nice strength boost from it. My knees and elbows aren't hurting, but they need a break. And even though we fixed my hip, I'm sure it needs a break as well. I'm just stoked about my first deload after coming back hahahaha.

mwarren: 

I see nothing wrong with that pull, man. If you're feeling pain, I suspect that it's from general scapular stabilizer weakness. So increase the back work, and I would suggest in a horizontal plane.

10 hours ago, Emperor G_D said:

mwarren: 

I see nothing wrong with that pull, man. If you're feeling pain, I suspect that it's from general scapular stabilizer weakness. So increase the back work, and I would suggest in a horizontal plane.

It felt a lot better because I didn't pull my shoulders back as hard as usual. However, I think you're right about the weakness. I haven't done any rowing in a long long time. My back is just so much bigger than the rest of me that I figured I didn't need to do much for it. I might swap some things around to add them in after the deload.

Friday's session was the big lifts at an RPE of 6 and today was at an RPE of 7. One set only. And as a reminder my usual work sets are always at an RPE 8-9. 

And so things make sense, my definition of RPE is how hard the set was on a scale of 1-10 basically. Not how many reps I had left, not percentage of 1RM. I use the literal meaning of RPE as it was intended. So RPE 7 doesn't mean 70% or 3 reps left. In actuality it would be more like 60% 1RM with 5-8 reps left in the tank because the RPE was based on a 5 rep set.

So I feel good and felt the springyness coming back today. Joints feel better. Back to the grind Wednesday.

44 minutes ago, mwarren said:

And so things make sense, my definition of RPE is how hard the set was on a scale of 1-10 basically.

I find that there are too many outside factors to allow me to consistently use RPE as a measure....

7 hours ago, STENDEC said:

I find that there are too many outside factors to allow me to consistently use RPE as a measure....

It definitely won't be for everybody. If I feel like crap and 50lbs less weight feels like the same RPE as the last session, I'm just going to use 50lbs less and maintain that RPE. So, I guess in my case outside factors are why I LIKE to use it. If I end up tapering for a meet or something though and weight on the bar becomes more important, I'll have to change up a bit.

That's funny hahaha I didn't know you could do that. And yes yes we all know your opinion is superior.

That is a good read, and the RIR is what I see a lot of people thinking RPE is. The article had a bit about velocity being its own thing but can also be a part of an RPE based program if the other parameters are known. Bar speed probably is the best way to autoregulate force specific cycles but everything else like technique and stance/grip width all need to be replicated perfectly to understand trends. 

Felt good and refreshed today. 

Squat

365x5

Press

170x5 

... was harder than it should be. Might be doing 2 microcycles with this weight.

DL

365x1x5 

RPE was 6 today so it was speedy.

Bench

215x7

Pullup, all grips

+10x5x3

Pushup

x10

x15

Face Pull

20x40

Everything but squats and press was easy. Squats are fine though but I feel like my press should be stronger. It felt heavy. It's not affected by my pec tear so it should be at least 190 for working sets. At least I strongly feel that way at my current body weight and the relative strength of others. At least I have an excuse for my bench numbers.

Weighted pullups felt great. Only used 10lbs. Haven't done them in years but I'd really like to get to 3 plates. 

Decided to not add rows in because my deadlift lat tension thing seemed to be a technical or cue issue. I feel confident I won't have problems if I keep my shoulders in a natural position.