Sanction

Sanction lifted

8 hours ago, Burton said:

I'm gonna need more information about this.

Horrible, horrible information.

You don't get the juicy stuff if you're always spilling the beans. People can trust me with their debauchery.

2 hours ago, Ras said:

I have managed to not have a gym membership for over a decade, but agree with that minimalist philosophy. 

Minimalist, sure

M-F -> AM - Workout as per usual/PM BFR accessory work

Sat/Sun-> AM - Heavier Work + BFR in same session

I will keep all my daily active recovery shit in place - Qi Gong, Yoga, meditation, dog walks.

Shit I'm at the point where I know how much volume at each intensity level I can tolerate for productive block lengths (4-6 weeks-ish) and it is CONSIDERABLY lower than when I was 18. I remember getting away with something like 150 reps per week of 90% 1rm reps. And that would go on and on without needing deload. I'm somewhere around 1/3 to 1/2 of that now and I'm sure it will keep going down.

There's a model that I read somewhere that I acronymized to MPH

To do regular workouts you need:

Motivation -- genuinely enjoying the activity itself (this is where I have the most resistance for various reasons I will post later)

Plan -- "At 7:00 I will leave to get to the gym"; this kind of thinking takes out the decision paralysis, and helps bypass the "do I feel like it" ruminations

Habit -- repeated enough times the ritualized pattern is resilient in the face of minor obstacles

Another very important aspect in habit formation is to make things as easy as possible, e.g. if you work out in the mornings, have your gym clothes laid out and ready to go the night before.

15 minutes ago, Sanction said:

There's a model that I read somewhere that I acronymized to MPH

To do regular workouts you need:

Motivation -- genuinely enjoying the activity itself (this is where I have the most resistance for various reasons I will post later)

Plan -- "At 7:00 I will leave to get to the gym"; this kind of thinking takes out the decision paralysis, and helps bypass the "do I feel like it" ruminations

Habit -- repeated enough times the ritualized pattern is resilient in the face of minor obstacles

I find that PLAN must also include a plan for what to do when you get there. If I show up with no plan, it is always a waste.

1 minute ago, Sanction said:

I imagine you out in a semi-rural area hauling tires, dragging anvils and flailing at the local villagers who think you are an evil sorcerer

All these things are true minus the semi-rural part as benpig and I live in the downtown. 

1 hour ago, Sanction said:

I went to the gym today and did only a light workout so that I don't end up like you old guys with pulled muscles, massive inflammation and Alzheimer's or whatever

I'm the 2nd youngest next to Nifl, but he doesn't even lift. I'm probably fucked up at least half the time. I think everybody here is fucked up. This forum is a curse, perhaps. You will succumb to injury, don't worry.

I have drifted back into the gym a few times.

Mostly I am doing this as mindfulness exercise on what I hate about it. Is there a way to make going to the gym enjoyable?

After the first 3 minutes of ordeal and misery, I do love the feeling of lifting weights at times.

Being in the gym activates my self-criticism -- I don't have a plan, I'm not doing 5-3-1, I am not keto, I don't use test enthanate, I don't bench 250+, I am weaker than everyone else in the room, I am too skinny, Blah blah blah.says the mental chatter.

But each time I am glad that I went.

This makes me feel more than ever that you should convert to the kettlebell and calisthenics club. That shit, as useful as it is for grounding and mindfulness, is also cognitively exhausting. If you find you are missing it, I am sure the community here can oblige in terms of enabling self-flagellation and body shaming. I will rename Nathan Greyhound Ian Greyhound for starters.

I agree with my esteemed colleague. In addition I suggest yoga. We are older and still need to move.

When I actually go to the gym is for some Netflix and treadmill.