Sanction

Sanction lifted

On 6/16/2019 at 12:42 AM, Sanction said:

Mostly I am doing this as mindfulness exercise on what I hate about it. Is there a way to make going to the gym enjoyable?

Is your mental bar too high? My gym satisfaction went way up after I lowered my expectations. Now I'm satisfied even if I show up, do my stretches, and then decide I'm not up for the task. Just getting to the gym and doing some stretches is still really satisfying.

1 hour ago, Construct said:

Is your mental bar too high? My gym satisfaction went way up after I lowered my expectations. Now I'm satisfied even if I show up, do my stretches, and then decide I'm not up for the task. Just getting to the gym and doing some stretches is still really satisfying.

That's a very good point.

On 6/19/2019 at 12:58 AM, Construct said:

This. I started feeling way better about stuff recently when I just started focusing on having fun (and not comparing myself to my previous numbers and to others).

I think this has been my problem for the last 6 months. In spite of my back injuries, going to the gym still meant that I had to go in to get stronger. This set me up to continually fail and (re)injure myself. Same thing goes for being in a powerlifting gym...there's nothing to do there but powerlift. So I had to get out of there and re-find my thing.

880 will never come, but maybe 65 will...

On 6/19/2019 at 12:58 AM, Construct said:

19 hours ago, Kimbo said:

This. I started feeling way better about stuff recently when I just started focusing on having fun (and not comparing myself to my previous numbers and to others).

1 hour ago, Emperor G_D said:

I think this has been my problem for the last 6 months. In spite of my back injuries, going to the gym still meant that I had to go in to get stronger. This set me up to continually fail and (re)injure myself. Same thing goes for being in a powerlifting gym...there's nothing to do there but powerlift. So I had to get out of there and re-find my thing.

880 will never come, but maybe 65 will...

I personally struggle with this.

Scoff all you want but at some point I will probably really have to overhaul what I'm doing if I want to have any future in the weight room. I'm already contemplating dropping deadlifts not from pins entirely from my programming just so I can still do something that challenges me (ironically, they've historically never bothered me until recently (plus one time when I thought I had either a labral tear or FAI).

But like I said, I often feel like after injury I get back in the gym, do something, make progress, and then go overboard.

Thankfully so far so good...

8 hours ago, Growth Factor said:

But like I said, I often feel like after injury I get back in the gym, do something, make progress, and then go overboard.

Oh man. Are we the same person? I have done this over and over again, and it's just gotten worse as I've gotten older (because I'm more prone to injury). I hurt my left knee and adductor pretty badly a while back, went through months of rehab, then when my knee was finally better I jumped straight into the full Oly lifts again and hurt my right knee.

I think the only thing that's saved me recently is just following my coach's programming without deviation (aside from a little additional accessory work).

I'm not sure why, but I'll come up with programs for myself that I would never give to anyone else. Like I'm some sort of special snowflake. I think there's a lot to be said sometimes for just having someone tell you what to do.

Sorry for the tangent. Just something I've been thinking about lately.

Having been haRASsed by my evil twin about my sarcopenic sedentariness over the last year, I dropped by the local community pool/gym to check out at drop-in class on "Body Sculpt"

"Tone your muscles and shape your body in this strength and cardio class"

Present: 5 women of a certain age

Activity: Poses of a rather elementary nature

Conclusion: why not

Objection: mere observation is inadequate

Rebuttal: none

5 hours ago, Sanction said:

Having been haRASsed by my evil twin about my sarcopenic sedentariness over the last year, I dropped by the local community pool/gym to check out at drop-in class on "Body Sculpt"

"Tone your muscles and shape your body in this strength and cardio class"

Present: 5 women of a certain age

Activity: Poses of a rather elementary nature

Conclusion: why not

Objection: mere observation is inadequate

Rebuttal: none

I am the Keisaku to the donkey of your ego.

It is likely no worse.

The Smith Machine is not the devil....for inexperienced lifters who are working without the benefit of direct supervision, it's a versatile piece of "barbell" equipment that more-or-less works and is, more than anything, hard to hurt yourself with.

3 hours ago, Ras said:

The POM of both is kind of shit. Any early lifting days injuries I inflicted on myself can probably be attributed to these pieces of equipment.

Do you mean ROM? So, use mostly free weights?

The guy in this video repeatedly refers to restricted ROM as the problem... video below starts with Mr. Smith's machine

2 hours ago, Sanction said:

Do you mean ROM? So, use mostly free weights?

The guy in this video repeatedly refers to restricted ROM as the problem... video below starts with Mr. Smith's machine

I mean POM as in you are a fucking POM. Path of Motion as opposed to Range of Motion.

1 hour ago, Ras said:

I mean POM as in you are a fucking POM. Path of Motion as opposed to Range of Motion.

Much appreciated.

Now that mwarren is taking a sabbatical, the number of three letter acronyms on this board has reduced almost to a manageable level..

Phrasing, young man, phrasing. I am many things, but "idiot" is definitely not among them. By contrast, I am also an outlier for many reasons, but being the victim of machine-induced injury is definitely not among them. 😁

Most injuries on Smith machines comes from beginner trainees getting out of position and the aforementioned POM issue becomes the cause of the injury. I don't disagree with Ben insofar as it's not "the devil", and it can probably be used safely by some, but definitely not all.