Sign in to follow this  
STENDEC

Demon Gear!

Cureus. 2018 Aug 20;10(8):e3163. doi: 10.7759/cureus.3163.
Anabolic Steroid-induced Mania.
Franey DG1, Espiridion ED2.

There are numerous reports of the psychiatric effects of anabolic-androgenic steroid (AAS) use. However, these effects have not been clearly elicited in controlled clinical trials. This discrepancy is largely due to the presence of a variety of synergistic factors seen in the real-life setting of AAS abuse. In this case, we report a patient in acute mania admitted to Frederick Memorial Hospital in Frederick, Maryland. He had no prior history or family history of manic episodes. His symptoms were refractory to initial pharmacologic intervention. The onset of his symptoms was likely related to the initiation of AAS use. However, his symptoms were likely potentiated by heavy daily cannabis use. The patient showed a gradual improvement over the second week of his hospitalization. He was discharged on antipsychotics and scheduled to follow up with a therapist and psychiatrist.

PMID: 30357054

Yeah, I'm sure it was the gear, not the heavy daily weed use that made him manic...

I'm not so sure cannabis use explains it, but the fact that he was mentally ill for many years (and having everyone ignore the warning signs), used weed heavily, and then added potentially psychoactive hormones certainly does.

I bet it was a result of an expectation more than actual physiological effects of either of those docile substances

I mean cmon. And, sometimes people that were about to have a manic episode just so happen to have started taking something. That's why I hate case studies.