Construct

What supplements do you take regularly? 2019 Edition.

We've all been around long enough to see the rise and fall of various supplement trends over the years. The gap between hyperbolic supplement marketing and genuine research seems to grow larger with each year.

So I'm curious: What supplements do you still take regularly?

Protein powder (probably more often than I should)

Aminolution (BCAA + EAA)

Fish oil

Joint supp (MSM, glucosamine, chondroitin)

Vitamin D

I'm a big, sweaty guy, my lipids and bloodsugar are fucked, and my inflammation is high, so I take stuff to try to counter that.

Daily:

Boron (18mg)

Ginger

Berberine

Mg

Zn

Cr

Curcumin

Fish Oil

Red yeast rice

policosanol

Vitamin D3

Pre-workout:

Mostly the same as for the past 5 years or so. 

Sugar-free sports drink

5-8g Beta alanine

5-8g taurine

5-8g betaine anhydrous

~1g citrullline malate (too much fucks up the drink)

5g hydrolyzed collagen

Morning

20B CFU Probiotic

5000 IU Vitamin D

10mg Zyrtec

25mg Clomid

Night

1mg Melatonin

400mg Magnesium Citrate

It's all general health stuff. I stopped taking exotic supplements years ago. Most of it was either not worth the cost or, more importantly, not worth the hassle of taking it (especially powders). Now that I'm moving out of the country, I'm finally throwing away all the random bottles of stuff I've accumulated over the years.

Morning:

500mg Magnesium Citrate

200mg CoQ10

Noon:

Kombucha or matcha green tea

Night:

25mg Trazodone

Twice Monthly:

Vitamin D 50,000 IU (Will replace with 5,000 IU weekly in spring)

Keeping it simple. The noon caffeine boost and half-dose of Trazodone at night are about the minimum I can get away with during the winter. Ideally I'd like to drop those as well in the summer.

I'm also using 25mg trazodone for sleep along with the occasional zaleplon...I went through a pretty rough patch of intractable insomnia and related anxiety this fall but things are much improved now.

Interesting to see all the Mg citrate being used....that stuff goes through me like roto-router.

I'm taking Mg glycinate in the morning and Mg threonate before bed mainly based on this study and other related research showing enhanced cerebral Mg uptake with Mg threonate vs. other Mg supplements.

What’s everyone taking magnesium for? I missed the train on that one.

I supplement with ON Whey protein and take 3mgs of Melatonin before bed. Preworkout twice a week I will take ephedrine and caffeine. That’s it though. 

I have a largish box in my basement filled with bottles upon bottles of various herbs, pharms, and nutrients that I have used or ordered over the years. Lol.

1 hour ago, Kimbo said:

Anything you guys have noticed with the magnesium, aside from the shits?

10 minutes ago, Something Anonymous said:

What’s everyone taking magnesium for? I missed the train on that one.

1 hour ago, STENDEC said:

Interesting to see all the Mg citrate being used....that stuff goes through me like roto-router.

I'm taking Mg glycinate in the morning and Mg threonate before bed mainly based on this study and other related research showing enhanced cerebral Mg uptake with Mg threonate vs. other Mg supplements.

I started supplementing Mg while I was taking PPIs for constant GERD. I fixed the GERD with diet and surgery, but continued taking the Mg. I remember thinking it provided a very mild calming effect when I first started taking it at a higher dose of 500mg twice daily. However, the effect was small enough that I can't honestly say it wasn't just placebo.

Mg citrate was cheap in bulk and ranked well in a bioavailability study. The mild laxative effect diminished over time for me, but it's still present to some degree.

The supposed increased brain penetration of Mg Threonate is interesting. I'll switch to the Threonate version after my Citrate runs out.

Mg Threonate is about 10x more expensive than my Mg Citrate, though. How much Mg Threonate do you take each night @STENDEC?

I'm taking 1.5g of the LE product...so a bottle lasts 75 days and costs around $35.

Yes, much pricier than citrate but as I said, that stuff goes right through me so I don't know what sort of value it really is for me. I was initially hoping for help with my insomnia but thought that the neuroprotective effects of threonate in particular probably made it worthwhile as a supplement.

- Half dose of Orange Triad (need to work my way back up to full)

- A good preworkout before my preworkout (current one)

- ~50mg THC per night

That's about it. I also intend to pick up an Mg2+ supplement in the very near future and may revisit omega3 supplementation as my fish and beef eating habits have diminished lately. 

@Growth Factor Woah, 50mg would put me into outer space. That said, my sister can take 100mg without batting an eye, so tolerance is real. I think we've talked about this before, though.

Regarding the magnesium talk, I primarily take it because:

1. There is some (inconclusive) evidence that it helps optimize teste function, and

2. It is something that is harder to get a full dose of via an ordinary diet compared to the other divalent cations (unless I'm on an almonds kick).

But it's also supposed to help ward off heart disease to a small degree and has some minor benefits for mood/anxiety. I don't notice much by way of stool softening, but it is probably helping in that regard. I take the citrate form for the same reasons as @Construct : it is cheap and bioavailable.

For me, though, the real all-star from my 'supplement' regimen is the zyrtec (cetirizine). I have year-round mild allergies, including pet allergies, and taking daily zyrtec has completely erased them with no signs of tolerance even after like 5 years of daily use. It really is a godsend. It's the only one of my supplements (other than the melatonin) that I notice when I forget to take it.

27 minutes ago, Mr.Kite said:

@Growth Factor Woah, 50mg would put me into outer space. That said, my sister can take 100mg without batting an eye, so tolerance is real. I think we've talked about this before, though.

I'm actually in the bad habit of reporting my guesstimate of 50mg when it's probably closer to 30 when you account for combustion. 

Anyways, you're right about the dose. I just like to get totally knocked out to the point I don't even want to try to stay awake. If I wanted to use it to augment some experience I'd just load it into my vape and just take 2-3 hits max. 

Mr. Kite, have you tried/considered taking the Zyrtec at night before bed instead of in the morning?  I only ask bc in some people it can cause mild drowsiness (mechanism behind this vs. other antihistamines is interesting btw) and I also recall from a discussion about a decade ago on the AL forum that there's likely a small negative effect of it (and related antihistamines) on fed-state signaling and that the impact of this is minimized by consumption at night for reasons that Spook explained but I don't recall specifically.

Regarding the magnesium discussion, if anyone is into the whole lucid dreaming/OBE-induction/trippy sleep stuff, 200-400 mg before bed can help with that and IME has noticeable additive effect with melatonin for sleep quality (not necessarily duration, anecdotally -- if anything it may shorten it, beneficially, IME, but I'm talking out my ass here now).  I suspect this is in whole or in part via NMDA receptor blockade/modulation, which is probably why I notice a small antidepressant/euphoric effect from it, similar to low dose DXM.

I'd be curious to know more about the cetirizine sedation MoA. D2 block? It has some weird sedation synergism with alcohol IIRC.

15 hours ago, Emperor G_D said:

I'm a big, sweaty guy, my lipids and bloodsugar are fucked, and my inflammation is high, so I take stuff to try to counter that.

Daily:

Boron (18mg)

Ginger

Berberine

Mg

Zn

Cr

Curcumin

Fish Oil

Red yeast rice

policosanol

Vitamin D3

Pre-workout:

Mostly the same as for the past 5 years or so. 

Sugar-free sports drink

5-8g Beta alanine

5-8g taurine

5-8g betaine anhydrous

~1g citrullline malate (too much fucks up the drink)

5g hydrolyzed collagen

I forgot vinegar and l-tryptophan...

20 minutes ago, nightop said:

Mr. Kite, have you tried/considered taking the Zyrtec at night before bed instead of in the morning?

Zyrtec is the major metabolite of hydroxyzine which is a very sedating first gen antihistamine so I am not surprised that people find it sedating.

4 minutes ago, Ras said:

It's hyperselective and there's very little genetic polymorphism in H1. It is odd.

Zyrtec has high H1 selectivity and low blood-brain barrier penetration. In theory, it should have minimal side effects.

However, every time I take Zyrtec I become very uncharacteristically irritable. Fexofenadine has similar effects. For some reason, Loratidine is fine though.

Whatever the mechanism, I'm assuming it's some complicated second-order side effect.