STENDEC

The Sleep Thread 😴

One thing that helps me is dimming all the lights after 7 at night.I also wear the blue light blocking specs a few hours before I go to bed. Also, some of the relaxing/calming music in youtube really helps. Listening to music for insomnia has shown to to help in Cochrane review. 

https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cdsr/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD010459.pub2/full

On 4/5/2019 at 5:44 AM, STENDEC said:

I just ordered gummies with 3mg melatonin and 200mg l-theanine.

I shall give them a whirl and report back.

Sounds good. I suggest trying them independently first before combining.

10 hours ago, anoopbal said:

One thing that helps me is dimming all the lights after 7 at night.I also wear the blue light blocking specs a few hours before I go to bed. Also, some of the relaxing/calming music in youtube really helps. Listening to music for insomnia has shown to to help in Cochrane review. 

https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cdsr/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD010459.pub2/full

So true -- I've found some of the ASMR/binaural beats sleep vides on youtube to actually work very well for inducing sleep or general sleepiness when I'm not initially sleepy at all but need to sleep knowing I have to get up early or whatever.

Thanks @nightop I had noticed the sme thing about brands. I also find that the extended release actually does nothing for my 3 am awake cycle.

Also for those of us that clench our jaws, NAC works fantastically at bed time.

I have really come to enjoy the effects that 50mg of trazadone has on my sleep....I get lots of deep sleep, usually 50-60% of my sleep time and I consistently get amazing vivid dreams. I think it is generally superior to benzos in terms of sleep quality....still have not got the quantity I'd like consistently but it is improving.

have anyone tried mindfulness/,meditation for 10-15 min before going to bed. It helps to calm your your mind , especially if you have anxiety. 

4 hours ago, Something Anonymous said:

This is interesting - Trazodone use in Alzheimer’s correlated with slower rate of cognitive decline.

Yes. In mice, trazodone moderates an overactive immune response to improper protein folding in diseases like AD and Parkinson's that accelerates neurodegeneration. 

However, in large population studies, trazodone use is no associated with lower risks of dementia or AD....so whether it really offers protection in humans is still up for debate.

47 minutes ago, anoopbal said:

have anyone tried mindfulness/,meditation for 10-15 min before going to bed. It helps to calm your your mind , especially if you have anxiety. 

The CBT guy I was seeing for my insomnia used guided imagery as one of the techniques for doing this...I found it quite effective.

On 4/4/2019 at 8:28 PM, STENDEC said:

I shall try a gummy version.

Gummy melatonin/l-theanine is a bust.

Maybe it's the theanine which is doesn't appear to actually be sedating but rather is claimed to promote a state of "wakeful relaxation" but subjectively and objectively these made my sleep worse for three nights in a row and my wife reported a similar experience.

On 4/7/2019 at 3:10 AM, anoopbal said:

Yes, meditation has helped my sleep tremendously. It is very effective for reducing all over stress levels, especially if one keeps up with a daily mindfulness practice. Daily life becomes meditation after enough practice. 

20 hours ago, STENDEC said:

Maybe it's the theanine which is doesn't appear to actually be sedating but rather is claimed to promote a state of "wakeful relaxation" but subjectively and objectively these made my sleep worse for three nights in a row and my wife reported a similar experience.

First night back on trazodone with no gummy, 7hrs of total sleep, 40% deep sleep.

On 4/9/2019 at 8:46 PM, STENDEC said:

Bummer!  Did you try the melatonin alone?  Like 10 mg chewed on empty stomach?  The combo with l-theanine may not be optimal for general sleep induction as it was more of a lucid dream combo (increased alpha wave sleep from theanine makes sense along those lines).

The gummies I have a a combination.

have to get some different ones if I want to experiment more. Honestly, I am so generally happy with the trazodone that I think I’m just going to stick with it...there doesn’t seem to be any downside and talk about lucid dreams!