nightop

Something Clever (by Nightop)

After almost a decade of sloppy stressful living and physical inactivity, I've finally returned to a healthy lifestyle and started weight training again.  

Now I'm working on implementing a more structured daily supplement regimen for general health and performance.  I'll post my training and diet regimens as well, eventually.  

Please critique!

Upon waking:

- Green tea extract (400 mg) -- I always took this on empty stomach due to research I've since forgotten, might switch to taking with first meal per label recommendation

- Vitamin C (500 mg)

- Vitamin D3 (800 IU)

- Calcium (500 mg)

With first meal:

- Fish oil (1.2 g)

- MCT oil (14 g)

- Cayenne pepper (500 mg)

- Ginger root (550 mg)

With second meal:

< nothing so that I don't have to bring anything with me if eating out >

Around workout (on training days):

- L-taurine (1700 mg, pre-workout)

- Beta-alanine (2 g, pre-workout)

- Alpha lipoic acid (300 mg, post-workout)

With third meal:

- Apple cider vinegar (1-2 oz)

With fourth meal:

- MCT oil (14 g)

- Ginger root (550 mg)

Bedtime:

- Metamucil (1 tbsp)

- Melatonin (2.5 mg)

- Magnesium (200-400 mg, sporadic)

This excludes things like protein powder, carb powders, etc. (as I consider them to be part of diet).  Most of these are capsule products by common/cheap brands like NOW and Nature's Way.  I'm currently in hypocaloric diet and not taking any creatine.  

Green tea and cayenne: If they don't bother your stomach, make no changes. I find that cayenne ruins me if taken with pre-workout, or without food, and I seem to remember something similar-including all kinds of sides with heart and BP with green tea.

Ginger seems underdosed, to me. Though, I guess it depends on the purpose for taking it. For me, I take it as a systemic inflammation reducer, and I take it at 1800mg bid.

Otherwise, lots of general wellness shit that seems good to me, and isn't too far from mine.

I have no critique of what you're taking, but I would suggest trying to your supp schedule as simple as possible to increase compliance.

Also, be sure to nail down the diet and exercise first.

On 5/5/2019 at 1:56 PM, Emperor G_D said:

Green tea and cayenne: If they don't bother your stomach, make no changes. I find that cayenne ruins me if taken with pre-workout, or without food, and I seem to remember something similar-including all kinds of sides with heart and BP with green tea.

Ginger seems underdosed, to me. Though, I guess it depends on the purpose for taking it. For me, I take it as a systemic inflammation reducer, and I take it at 1800mg bid.

Otherwise, lots of general wellness shit that seems good to me, and isn't too far from mine.

Thanks -- I used to take GT on empty stomach, which was rough at first but eventually I got used to it.  I might try that again this time around and later try it with the cayenne..  The ginger is mainly just to help stomach/GI as I have sensitive stomach in general and because there's likely some other mild health benefits, so just following the label recommendations for it.

On 5/5/2019 at 3:57 PM, ozzman said:

Vitamin D 5000 IU . Double or triple that in the winter

Add K2 the MK7 formulation

Other than that, maybe some Zinc and Potassium

Thanks.  I used to take zinc in the 30-50 mg range but noticed some weird sides from it and have since avoided it except for the occasional multi-v/m.  Will look into potassium though.  I've never even heard of the MK7 formulation of vitamin K2, but from what I've already quickly read it's very interesting -- I ordered some and will start it at 100 mcg/day unless there's consensus that higher dose levels are warranted?

On 5/5/2019 at 5:41 PM, Kimbo said:

I have no critique of what you're taking, but I would suggest trying to your supp schedule as simple as possible to increase compliance.

Also, be sure to nail down the diet and exercise first.

Agreed, thanks.  I'm pretty good at sticking to regimens in general but have tried to keep this simple for convenience.

26 minutes ago, nightop said:

I've never even heard of the MK7 formulation of vitamin K2, but from what I've already quickly read it's very interesting

K2 is the traffic cop for calcium...it keeps it depositing in hard tissue like teeth and bone and prevents it from depositing in soft tissue like your aorta.

On 5/6/2019 at 7:17 PM, STENDEC said:

K2 is the traffic cop for calcium...it keeps it depositing in hard tissue like teeth and bone and prevents it from depositing in soft tissue like your aorta.

I finally got around to reading/researching K2 in more depth, and that seems to be a good analogy indeed.  I've upped the intake to 200 mcg/day (split into two 100 mcg doses; one in morning, one with dinner).

Also, I don't know if it's the cayenne or the GTE or perhaps some of both, but I've lost 5-6 pounds of what appears to be mainly fat since starting this regimen with no other real changes to diet/lifestyle.  I read various reviews from people taking cayenne 2-3x day and immediately losing fat, which I suspected to be erroneous, but maybe not now given my experience.

Speaking of cayenne, taking it on an empty stomach with as little as 4 oz. of water seems to prevent any discomfort but lets you 'feel it' in terms of a mild warming/stimulating sensation that I actually really like for some reason.  I didn't know what to expect along those lines, and at first I had to take it with food after trying a test consumption on an empty stomach with no water (bad idea).  Anyway, really interesting supplement.

20 minutes ago, nightop said:

I finally got around to reading/researching K2 in more depth, and that seems to be a good analogy indeed.

Did you read any of the studies showing rapid arterial calcification in people taking warfarin, which blocks vitamin K? That is some of the most convincing stuff I think.

With regard to the cayenne, I remember several anecdotal reports from guys who swore that eating high capsaicin chiles made a difference of an extra pound of fat loss a week. These guys were eating like 2-3 ghost chiles a day, though, IIRC.

Kimbo, I can certainly believe that... there seems to be a real benefit to it from what I've experienced.

Update to this thread:

I had very busy second half of 2019 -- stuck to my new diet/training/supp regimen as long as I could but fell off the wagon again sometime in the Fall.  Started back at it in Jan this year and surprisingly still had most of the conditioning that I had painfully re-gained earlier last year.  

After a sloppy 1 month hypocaloric HST routine followed by a sloppy 1 month UD2 routine, I'm finally back to a state that I consider ready for more serious training, so I'll be joining a gym in March and moving to a maintenance/neutral caloric hybrid training routine that I built over a decade ago.

I'm hoping to post more regular updates.  Hope everyone is doing well.

Updated regimen with mostly removals of certain supplements and a few comments/questions at the bottom:

Upon waking/first meal (removed vitamin C; fish oil; MCT oil; ginger root -- all taken only sporadically now):

- Green tea extract (400 mg) 

- Vitamin D3 (800 IU)

- Calcium (500 mg)

With second meal:

< nothing so that I don't have to bring anything with me if eating out >

Around workout (on training days; removed taurine😞

- Beta-alanine (2 g, pre-workout)

- Alpha lipoic acid (300 mg, post-workout)

With third meal:

- Apple cider vinegar (1-2 oz)

- Vitamin K2 (MK7 100 mcg)

With fourth meal:

< nothing, except sporadic use of MCT oil and/or cacao powder in protein shake >

Bedtime:

- Metamucil (1 tbsp)

- Melatonin (2.5-3.0 mg)

- Magnesium (200-400 mg from mag.citrate)

Comments:

1) I removed several supplements/doses for simplicity, cost, and because I don't think they were that necessary or beneficial.

2) Training has been much more enjoyable after switching from the HST and UD2 routines to my personal 'hybrid' training split

3) Diet is moderately hypo caloric (~400-600 kcal deficit/day) and will continue that way for another two weeks -- decided to do this because I want to lose a bit more fat.

4) For the first time in my life, I've experienced joint pain and snap/crackle/pop sounds while lifting, which is probably just from age and inactivity for ~10 years.. sigh. 

Questions:

Any recommendations for a combination joint health supplement product (e.g., Osteobiflex-like) that actually makes a difference?  I'm woefully ignorant in this area.

Should I be taking high and/or more frequent doses of beta-alanine (for exercise performance)?  e.g., on non-workout days, 2g x2 or x3 day, etc.?  What's the best practice?

Boron (18mg/day) and Glucosamine/MSM for joint pain, but not sure how much they improve things, honestly. I take BA pre-workout and at about 5g. Note that I'm probably double your weight. I don't take it on non-workout days, but I don't know if that's the correct dosing, honestly. 

48 minutes ago, Emperor G_D said:

Boron (18mg/day) and Glucosamine/MSM for joint pain, but not sure how much they improve things, honestly. I take BA pre-workout and at about 5g. Note that I'm probably double your weight. I don't take it on non-workout days, but I don't know if that's the correct dosing, honestly. 

Interesting re:Boron -- thanks.  I'm researching glucosamine/MSM products, but wasn't sure if people here have a go-to for that which is most cost-effective or optimal for whatever reason.  I think Kimbo has taken or still takes something like this for joint health, but don't know if he's still around on here these days.

Unrelated comments/additions that I meant to include above:

- I tried a 'PM recovery' supplement that was offered to me for free containing tart cherry extract, boswellia extract, and safflower extract; I had one of the best nights of sleep I can remember having in the past few years, and I've since replicated this finding over several random nights (taking it right before bed).  I assume it's the tart cherry doing most of the work along those lines but not sure.  Just thought I'd mention it since tart cherry extract seems to have some other interesting and potentially beneficial effects.  I'm not using regularly though.

- No idea if this is going to make much of a difference, but I've also started doing a set or two of 10-rep free squats, jumping jacks, sit-ups, and pushups about 15-30 min after every non-workout meal, mainly to subtly improve my general conditioning and perhaps for a positive nutrient portioning effect.  Does anyone else do something like this?  As lame as it sounds, I'm really trying to get my general 'fitness' back after being out of the gym for so long, and short of doing regular HIIT which isn't a good option right now, I've resorted this approach.

"Tart cherry", AKA "acerola cherry" is known was one of the best sources of vitamin C back in the day. Not sure that means much, but my mom had mentioned that doctors told mothers to use it when kids got severely ill back in the 70s when I was a babe.

I try to get some exercise (walking, normally) after meals. I recall it being suggested prior to meals by some folks, too. Post-meal exercise has hormonal benefits and bloodsugar/insulin benefits.

I think next time I go for groceries, I'm going to get some tart cherry juice (and beetroot juice, which I've been meaning to add to my diet) and see if the effects on sleep can be replicated from the juice -- I kinda doubt it though.