Sign in to follow this  
Emperor G_D

Old Powerlifters don't just die...

Do they?

Maybe they do, but I'm not quite ready for that.

So I went to a place called fit republic a few weeks back. Wow, talk about awful. Bad equipment, worse vibe. Today I went to the 24hr Fitness by my house, and that was my second worst corporate gym experience, ever. The first worst being that Fit Republic shithole. This is what Trump was talking about when he used that term.

So my wife talked me into just signing back up for my old Gold's gym/ABC club, and I signed up. I know the people, I know the equipment and whatnot. Better than making one of these weird little shitholes work.

What's my plan? Not sure as of now. I've just never had to shift gears with any amount of sincerity before, and now that my back is an ongoing problem, I'll have to work around that.

Today I hit some squats and the elliptical. It's amazing how untrained I've become in 6 weeks of not lifting or working out in any way.

So anyways, I will be working on compound lifts and machines. I don't plan on taking these lifts terribly seriously, because I honestly can't take being injured anymore.

Monday: Still squats and squatting movements. The ABC club just got a belt squat machine, so Maybe it looks like back squats, belt squats, ham curls, sled work.

Wednesday: Bench, Bis, Tris, pec shit. Probably flat bench*, incline or decline bench, triceps work because they're awesome, biceps because I can't believe I ignored half of my arm muscles for a dozen years, and then whatever flying movement I can stand.

Friday: Deadlifts, back? Deads or RDLs, or SLDLs, vertical plane back work (pulldowns/vogelpohls), horizontal plane stuff (seated rows and maybe bb rows*) 

*- I need to watch my midback pain after these workouts and use that as my guide.

@Kimbo @mwarren @STENDEC @anybody else? 

Rep ranges and shit? I don't know...

I'm not sure whether I will end up starting or finishing my sessions with cardio, but I think it's probably a good idea to jump on an elliptical for increasing time, so I'll get in there with that. I'm thinking of *starting* sessions with a cardio warmup, because philosophically, I no longer need to keep all of my energy for lifting.

Also, I get 6-7 hours of sleep per night, now, and won't be working out at 0500, because fuck that noise. Crazy to me that I ever did that...

I'd say start the old 3 sets of 8-12 reps. Just keep bumping up your weights by a bit reach week until you stall out, at which point you can adjust things. You could even everywhere throw in some fun body builder shit like drop sets.

I'd add in some unilateral movements, too. The load will be comparably lighter, so you'll still work the muscles while giving yourself a bit of a break and evening out any strength disparities.

What movements bug your mid back? Heavy pulls?

1 hour ago, Kimbo said:

I'd say start the old 3 sets of 8-12 reps. Just keep bumping up your weights by a bit reach week until you stall out, at which point you can adjust things. You could even everywhere throw in some fun body builder shit like drop sets.

I'd add in some unilateral movements, too. The load will be comparably lighter, so you'll still work the muscles while giving yourself a bit of a break and evening out any strength disparities.

What movements bug your mid back? Heavy pulls?

Sounds good.

I'm not real sure how to avoid back pain, but there is risk in pulling and horizontal pushing. I'll report back once I feel it out a bit better.

Yea, that's a perfect program for what you feel like now. I'd agree with Kim of course on the 8-12 without worrying about dropping to 6 or going over 12. Slow and steady bodybuilding periodization. 

Maybe use Friday as a prehab day as well with a decent volume of face pulls and such.

Could always do dips instead of bench.

Does sumo feel and better or worse than conventional?

How about pushups? If those feel good, you can do all sorts of variations to increase difficulty and keep them interesting.

DB benching on a (sturdy) Swiss ball is an option, too. You'd get support that way, and a bit of instability might make for a nice change of pace.

Fuck dips. Perhaps I can work them in, though.

Not sure if sumo or conventional is better or worse. I think it's parity. I might just work them in alternating fashion...Conv, Sumo, RDL. 

I forgot to include DB work, but I presume I will to some. I don't quite hate it as much as I used to. 

I'll try to figure out how to sanely organize all this...if there is a way.

7 hours ago, Emperor G_D said:

I'm not sure whether I will end up starting or finishing my sessions with cardio, but I think it's probably a good idea to jump on an elliptical for increasing time, so I'll get in there with that. I'm thinking of *starting* sessions with a cardio warmup, because philosophically, I no longer need to keep all of my energy for lifting.

Also, I get 6-7 hours of sleep per night, now, and won't be working out at 0500, because fuck that noise. Crazy to me that I ever did that...

How does the elliptical treat your back? I've always wondered if those are really as low impact as they look.

Are you still using a CPAP?

1 hour ago, Construct said:

How does the elliptical treat your back? I've always wondered if those are really as low impact as they look.

Are you still using a CPAP?

I've always felt elliptical trainers are next to no impact. Treats my back perfectly. Better than walking. 

I am a 100% compliant cpap user. 

1 hour ago, Construct said:

These grumpy gym reviews are great.

Can we vote on your next gym? I'm totally voting for a Crossfit gym. Can't wait to see those WOD posts.

Lol

Sorry for that. My last gym was pretty close to a crossfit gym. The cliquishness, the dickishness, the cost, the lack of equipment, the phonyness...I'm good on all that. 

8 hours ago, Kimbo said:

DB benching on a (sturdy) Swiss ball is an option, too. You'd get support that way, and a bit of instability might make for a nice change of pace.

I had decided to add these into my routine a number of years ago. And when I showed up to the gym that day there were a couple of attractive women who I thought I might impress with my strength so I grabbed a couple of 85# DB and a Swiss Ball and proceeded to lie back on it....and I rolled right over it and landed on the floor with DB in hand and my legs in the air without any graceful means of exit.

1 hour ago, Kimbo said:

I'm actually thinking about getting one. You'll known if I do if I stop posting.

What, exactly, are you planning on doing to the ball?

So if we consider monday's workout to be Day 1, I had my Day 2 workout today.

10 minutes on the elliptical

Upper body warmup

Bench

45x20

95x10

135x10

165x10

195x5

225x8x3S

Triceps hell

unknown weightx25, x20 overhand

unknown weightx20, x15 underhand

Biceps cable curl

unknown weightx10x3S

GTFO.

Day 3, Week 1

elliptical trainer: 15 minutes

Deadlifts

70kgx8

90kgx8

100kgx8

105kgx8

The connective tissue of my hands feels like total dogshit. lol 

Hamstring curls

25x10

35x10

45x10

Done.

Work cap way low, still. But my Elliptical Time Without Death (ETWD) was 15, which was better than the 10 I got 2 days ago. I feel pretty decent with 3 workouts per week. My low back was a bit fire as I was walking out the gym. I know for sure that I was really doing back-dominant deadlifts, so not shocking.

Note: Low back discomfort was resolved upon sitting for an hour at my desk. Not to worry about.

Day 1

Lower body/squats

ETWD 10 minutes

Squats

45x10

135x10

185x10

235x8

245x8

255x8

Left.

This was all for shit. I was rushing this AM, and so I didn't eat, I didn't get any coffee, and I didn't have a PWO. I just slammed a sugar-free gatorade and hit the gym. At 5AM, nutrition doesn't seem to matter. At 9, it seems to matter. Won't do that again.

And, the meeting that made me rush into the gym was cancelled, so fuck Monday.

Day 2

Skipped cardio (already? Already. Might ride my bike for a bit as penance)

Warmed up

3 rounds of 15 of:

band dislocates

band face pulls

band pull aparts

Bench

45x20

95x10

135x10

165x10

195x10

225x10