Emperor G_D

Old Powerlifters don't just die...

2 hours ago, Emperor G_D said:

I'm hoping the supply chain irons itself out, because this feels BAD.

The supply chain will resolve itself in a couple of weeks because the issue isn't a problem of supply....there's plenty of meat and bread and milk.

There's been a huge uptick in demand but nothing structural has changed....there are not suddenly twice as many people living in the Bay Area.

Eventually, people will run out of freezer/refrigerator/shelf space and have to start consuming all the stuff they bought rather than buying more.

We're going to be okay Sam. 

20 hours ago, Emperor G_D said:

In the last 2 years, my wife and I finally got to start breathing in between paychecks. We started being able to set aside cash for emergencies and for our kids and their trips and projects and whatnot. We've been steadily paying off bills and credit cards. My car is only a few payments away from being fully owned by me. We've got cash on hand, now. Things have been looking really good to pay off more stuff, save more money as other bills are paid off, and maybe get ourselves into a situation where we can actually move in a year or two into a place we want to be when our youngest is ready to move to middle school.

That has all pretty much evaporated. My wife's largest contract just ended. That's the contract that pays the difference that the $900 rent increase made to us. Fine. It'll probably be a few weeks before she returns, unless the doctor folds-which is also a possibility; given the way things are going. Her other contracts could easily go away temporarily or permanently as well. I have a promotion that I have been working on, and there are annual company raises that are in doubt. Hell, my bonuses are probably zeroed out, too. My RSUs might as well be printed out and used for toilet paper-and that's shit I was counting on being there when the time came. 

I'm so very, very disappointed. I'm doing my best here, but sonofabitch. 

I know that most of these things will either resolve, not come to pass, or change in-flight. I know that. But still-I can't shake the loss that was me standing on the edge of some of the best footing I've had in decades. 

We're seeing scarcity-literal scarcity-in my area. We couldn't find meat(any meat-no ground beef, no chicken breast, no whole chickens, no pork). We ended up hitting multiple stores and even then, had to improvise. I've never had to live in this way. I'm hoping the supply chain irons itself out, because this feels BAD.

The US's trajectory wrt illness numbers, as well as serious cases looks BAD. Basically, we're looking worse than some of the less modern and less civilized nations. It will probably continue to get bad until people get over their pride and realize that they are fucked if they continue to do beer bongs on the beach with random people, or go to the gym. It's a guarantee to get worse unless our leaders stop feeding bullshit to their constituents. 

I broke down yesterday. This is all too much for me. I'm having to limit my access to the internet, now. The data of the pandemic is great. My first love is pandemic illness from a subject standpoint (odd obsession, but it is what it is). Hell, I've said for decades that this was coming. But now here it is. It's awful. Always knew it would be.

Re-reading this, it's like a first-world karen whine. I'm almost too disgusted to press the "submit Reply" button.

Sorry to hear, buddy.  It's a crushing experience when you're right on the cusp and then the rug is pulled out from under you.  I was in that spot last fall and then Adrienne lost her job.  I was like two months away from being able to start paying my student loans back with the option to start saving additional money with the eventual goal of just saving up about 35% of the balance and then just buying them out and being free.

She had 3 promising interviews this last week one of which she felt she was gonna get and now the whole fucking state is shut down and these non profits that do their events are probably gonna have events cancelled so even if she was the top choice for the one position, who knows if that job or for that matter, even the organization will exist in 3 months.

It's just one big scam it feels like in this country.  You do everything right.  I paid my student loans for almost 15 years and then I have a hard year and they're emailing me once a day and calling 3 times a day threatening to take me to court.  They've made as much money off me as they loaned plus about 10% but my balance is now back to more than the original value.  My missed payments with them have tanked my credit rating by literally 200 points so if I ever need to buy anything like a car I'm fucked.  Hell, I'm even afraid of trying to rent a new place with my snazzy 545 credit rating which used to be 755, which we are going to have to do in the very near future, like in 2 weeks as we may finally have a way out of our slumlord situation before lease end.

I remember seeing about 2 weeks back the notification from the college in Norway recalling their students from countries with inadequate health care infrastructure should return immediatley and they specifically mentioned the US.  I can't help but shake the feeling this place really is a second world country with a fancy veneer.

Anyway, I hope you guys pull through this okay and get back on track as quickly as possible.

JB, I know things haven't been easy for you and Adrienne, too, and I hope you continue to be able to smooth things out. I know she's been impacted by the quarantine, but hopefully there will be tons of opportunity once we emerge from this.

Like I said yesterday-I'm sure some of this is melodrama on my part. Staying positive isn't in my blood and the way things are-well, I'm having a hard time finding silver linings.

53 minutes ago, Emperor G_D said:

JB, I know things haven't been easy for you and Adrienne, too, and I hope you continue to be able to smooth things out. I know she's been impacted by the quarantine, but hopefully there will be tons of opportunity once we emerge from this.

Like I said yesterday-I'm sure some of this is melodrama on my part. Staying positive isn't in my blood and the way things are-well, I'm having a hard time finding silver linings.

The problem with life is that life now a days is just a shit proposition.  I know there's always that contingent that says "but life is better than it has ever been".  And that's true in a lot of ways but just because life was total ass in the past centuries doesn't mean it can't be better and that we shouldn't be allowed some malaise.  I could argue serfdom wasn't so bad.  Their lives were hard during the planting and the harvest but they had much more free time the rest of the time.  But medicine and such was obviously orders of magnitude worse.  But in America it's out of the reach of entire classes of people so there's that.

My comment isn't even a woe is me one.  I still have a job in an essential industry.  We'll keep it America centric but what most people don't seem to understand is that millions in this country, potentially tens of millions are gonna be destroyed by this.  This has the potential to wipe out a whole generation, a generation who was barely holding on in the first place.

So many of us made decisions when we were 17 based on what we were told what would allow us to build a life.  We just didn't know they were lying.  If I were to do it over I'd go into the service when I was 18, put in my time and get the GI Bill.  But that pushed back against by everyone I was supposed to trust.

It's just all shit and bootstraps in the overwhelming majority of cases are a lie.  I'm really hoping for accelerationism at this point.  Of a societal epiphany or catastrophic collapse.  I don't care which one if I'm being honest