Emperor G_D

Old Powerlifters don't just die...

I was just about to revisit some Josh Bryant resources, but for a friend who is interested in developing some traps without using the deadlift (limited by job/gym equipment)

Curious to see more about this 8x8. I forget what books of his I have. 

Got the book and was looking it over. It's a bit of a letdown for me. It's a tiny book full of starting strength-level advice. It's not a 400 page tome like Lilly or Swede or even Wendler wrote. It's literally a tiny paperback of the sort that Dr. Squat wrote in the 80's, which makes sense-Josh has self-styled after the greats of yore.

I'll compose a template later and share my interpretation of it. Looks fairly simple to me. 

2 hours ago, Emperor G_D said:

Got the book and was looking it over. It's a bit of a letdown for me. It's a tiny book full of starting strength-level advice. It's not a 400 page tome like Lilly or Swede or even Wendler wrote. It's literally a tiny paperback of the sort that Dr. Squat wrote in the 80's, which makes sense-Josh has self-styled after the greats of yore.

I'll compose a template later and share my interpretation of it. Looks fairly simple to me. 

Damn. I hope it was at least more meaty than the Eric Lilliebridge Method EBook.

10 minutes ago, Growth Factor said:

Damn. I hope it was at least more meaty than the Eric Lilliebridge Method EBook.

Yes, it was better than the 3 pages of digital text per movement from Lilliebridge. lol

OK, so realizing that I need to get more work in, I've opened myself up to this "offseason" program. It's a lot of work, and I'll need to see how I can fit it all in on days that I am working and my kids are going to school. I think that without interruptions, and with some creative supersetting, it can be done, and I hope to also get some cardio in with it.

Today: 

Week 1-3 SxR Weight
Day 1 Squat 6x3 75%
  Backwards Sled Drag 8 Heavy
  Leg Curls 8x6 15 rep max
  Leg Ext 8x8 20 rep max
  Pull Throughs 8x8 Heavy
  Leg Press 8x8 Heavy

Squat

135x8

185x5

225x5

275x3

315x3

375x3x6S

Sled Pulls

145x2

195x2

245x2

295x2

Leg Curls

35x6x8S

Superset

Leg Extension

115x8x8S

Leg Press

270x8

360x8

450x8

450x8

450x8

450x8

450x8

270x8

Ellipticalx12m(in)

I skipped pull throughs, because I couldn't figure out how to do them to make them work. I'm thinking I might attempt to do this in a superset with the leg press, but basically do good mornings on the Rhino/pit squat machine.

TOday's workout went a little sideways and I followed my tried and tested bench session outside of the 8x2 bench format.

Bench

45x20

135x10

185x10

225x5

255x1

275x2x8S

Pec-deck

140, 150, 160, 170x8

Reverse flyes

4 sets of 8. I think it was 120, 130, 140, 120x10

Triceps Hell

Over: 

80x20

85x20

Under:

65x20

57x20

Great set:

DB Hammer: 50x8x3

EX Bar curls: 70x8, 60x8, 60x6

Skullcrusher machine

3 sets of 8

Ellipticalx10minutes

5 hours ago, Construct said:

What's Triceps Hell? Google and YouTube were more confusing than enlightening.

Sam's IP. IIRC, it is a superset of over/over and then under/under tricep pushdowns @ 20 reps.

Last week, on Thursday, I was cooking dinner and finishing the meal in the oven. I removed the pan from the oven and it was resting on the stove. I came back to it 3 or 4 minutes later and grabbed the handle. I dropped it right away, but my hand was pretty nicely torched...though it just flattened the skin out and never blistered. It hurt for about 24 hours, and when I woke up, it hurt enough that I didn't want to chance deadlifting with my hand in that state.

Sidenote: This is the second time I've done this, though the time prior it was the lid handle I touched and not picking up the hot pan with my hand. Why the hell can't my brain learn from this?

Moving on...

Lots of walking lately, elliptical work. Trying to get my CV health up as my actual priority. The current Josh Strength program has lots of sets and I have to compress for time, so hopefully that all leads to better capacity overall. I'm meeting/beating my "step count" daily, so it's a pretty good amount of work with extra walking. 

Elliptical (FIRST, WTF?)

13:30

Squats

45x5

135x5

185x2

225x5

275x2

315x1

375x3x7S

Elliptical had pushed things out a bit, so I really had to compress things to make it out of the gym and home on time...

3 exercise superset:

Sled Dragsx2

Hamstring Curlsx8

Quad extensionx10

4 rounds

Then:

hamstring curlsx8

quad extenstionx10

4 rounds

I was unable to make leg press and "pull throughs" (note: I planned on substituting with kettlebell swings) work for my time allotted. 8 sets of each in a superset was what I was thinking of doing, I just wouldn't have made it today. Perhaps I'll be able to get it to fit in in a few more rotations, but not today. 

On 1/27/2020 at 12:35 PM, Emperor G_D said:

Last week, on Thursday, I was cooking dinner and finishing the meal in the oven. I removed the pan from the oven and it was resting on the stove. I came back to it 3 or 4 minutes later and grabbed the handle. I dropped it right away, but my hand was pretty nicely torched...though it just flattened the skin out and never blistered. It hurt for about 24 hours, and when I woke up, it hurt enough that I didn't want to chance deadlifting with my hand in that state.

Sidenote: This is the second time I've done this, though the time prior it was the lid handle I touched and not picking up the hot pan with my hand. Why the hell can't my brain learn from this?

Moving on...

Lots of walking lately, elliptical work. Trying to get my CV health up as my actual priority. The current Josh Strength program has lots of sets and I have to compress for time, so hopefully that all leads to better capacity overall. I'm meeting/beating my "step count" daily, so it's a pretty good amount of work with extra walking. 

Elliptical (FIRST, WTF?)

13:30

Squats

45x5

135x5

185x2

225x5

275x2

315x1

375x3x7S

Elliptical had pushed things out a bit, so I really had to compress things to make it out of the gym and home on time...

3 exercise superset:

Sled Dragsx2

Hamstring Curlsx8

Quad extensionx10

4 rounds

Then:

hamstring curlsx8

quad extenstionx10

4 rounds

I was unable to make leg press and "pull throughs" (note: I planned on substituting with kettlebell swings) work for my time allotted. 8 sets of each in a superset was what I was thinking of doing, I just wouldn't have made it today. Perhaps I'll be able to get it to fit in in a few more rotations, but not today. 

Will be interesting to see how you feel after the workout if you can get the other exercises done. Sounds intense. 

2 minutes ago, Growth Factor said:

Will be interesting to see how you feel after the workout if you can get the other exercises done. Sounds intense. 

I felt real decent after last week's session. I don't feel too much of an effect today. Last week, I got the leg press in, and this week I did not.

I think it's all about making this as efficient as possible...

1 minute ago, Emperor G_D said:

I felt real decent after last week's session. I don't feel too much of an effect today. Last week, I got the leg press in, and this week I did not.

I think it's all about making this as efficient as possible...

It's interesting how the first part of the program is like a powerbuilding/PL program, and then it's like Mountain Dog training afterwards with pre-exhaustion work capped with heavy compound (leg press and pull throughs). I wonder how you're supposed to make pullthroughs heavy, though. Maybe I didn't take the exercise seriously enough. 

Missed yesterday due to having a meeting with HPE and not wanting to show up at 9AM all red-faced and sweating. So I benched today, and I will go in for a deadlift workout tomorrow.

The Josh Strength bench routine is a bit low volume for me, tbh. Last week I went in and hit the 8x2@80% and the next day, it was as if no workout had occurred. So I have changed the volume to be 8x3@80%, with back down sets.

Elliptical: 14:30

Bench

45x20

95x10

135x10

165x5

195x5

225x5

255x1

275x3x8S

225x10

155x15

135x15

Pec-deck

150x10

160x8

170x8

150x8

Triceps Hell

O: 80x20

O: 85x20

U: 60x22 (penalty of 2 for pausing in the set)

U: 60x20

Biceps Machine

35x10

45x8

55x8

60x6

Dropset

35x10

DB Hammers

30x8x3S

DOne.

Deadlifted for the first time in what seems like a while.

Supposed to be 80% deadlifts 10x1 and a bunch of accessory work. Got the deadlifts done, and went to try to figure out a good way to farmer-carry in the cramped gym and headed over to the green area with a trap bar. My buddy Gilbert was using the sled and I couldn't figure out how to use the trap bar on the green without it being a total clusterfuck, so I gave in and hit the sled.

I use the sled every week, and heavy, but Gil goaded me into doing doubles-2 up and back trips for the length of the green. Push away, pull on the return. 4 times. It was disgusting. At some point I think I have 300 plus his 115 pound training partner and I did that twice. It was disgusting. Did I mention that? 

I sat around and very slowly took my deadlift shoes off, and tried to catch my breath. It scuttled the whole rest of my workout. lol

Deadlifts

135x10

185x3

225x3

275x2

315x1

365x1

400x1x10S (EMOM)

Sled of death.

Done. 

Also, my asshole son has spread the coronavirus throughout the house, so fuck him. I won't feed him until his brother and I are well again.

OK, so 24 days after I became ill, I made it back into the gym. Wow, quite a layoff.

During my illness and convalescence, I had begun to get stiff and physically felt like shit, so about 2 weeks ago, I started by finding a nature trail near my home and leisurely walking around some lakes and stuff. I was trying to get 30-40 minutes and roughly 2 miles of walking per outing. At first, it was quite difficult, and I needed my inhaler to make it. Then of course, I got better. 

Went to Pismo beach this weekend, and got about 15K steps in per day, so nice amounts of walking on top of what I was doing to feel better/more active while recouping. 

Started this morning with cardio-15 minutes on the elliptical.

Then I squatted some

45x10

135x10

185x10

225x10

275x5

315x5

And I did some other leg shit

Extensions: 4 sets of 10 (weight unknown, I think it said "10", but that's the 10th plate, not 10#, lol)

Curls: 4 sets of 8 (25, 30, 35, 40)

I also cockblocked this guy who has given me shit for the last year or two*. I could see he was putting only round plates on the Rhino machine. So I took all of the hex plates on my bar and loaded up the trees near the Rhino machine, so that he could only use the hex plates. Totally passive aggressive and petty, I know. 

*- We'll call him "Jeff", because that's his name. Jeff and I were cool enough. Used to talk and catch up. At some point I guess my morning antics grated on him, and one day when he was looking like he was leaner than usual, I said "you're looking skinny, Jeff"! and he countered with something along the lines of "some people might be offended if you called them skinny", and there was one or two more comment like that. I could tell his ass was hurt (by what? no clue), so I apologized to him on instagram, and he said something to the effect of he likes to be left alone in the mornings. That is literally the last word we ever exchanged. So yeah, fuck him. 

Benched today.

Elliptical: 16M

Bench stuff: 45/95/135/165/195/225 (I think sets were 20/10/10/10/10/5x3)

Backoffs: 185x10, 135x10

Pec-deck: 3 sets of 10

Arm hell: Normal triceps hell, and then I worked in some low cable curls at sets of 15, and then reverse curls for sets of 15. I'm thinking that "Arm Hell" of a triceps hell with biceps curls worked in would be awesomely painful.

TMI, but I'm going to do it anyways. 

I started using psyllium husk for its glucose and cholesterol benefits. 10g or one tsp per day. It has worked wonders for my regularity-not just that it happens every day (I've always been "regular", timewise), but consistency matters and I've had a lot of near-IBS like tendencies. Mostly on the diarrhea side. No consistency, just a mass of junk.

I've started having normal human BMs after 2 or 3 weeks of the psyllium. It's been *decades* since the last time this happened. So for all of you poopophiles, there's my poop story.

26 minutes ago, Emperor G_D said:

I've started having normal human BMs after 2 or 3 weeks of the psyllium. It's been *decades* since the last time this happened. So for all of you poopophiles, there's my poop story.

Good BM story.  5/7, perfect score

OK, so working back up in volume and intensity. 

GOt back on the Josh Bryant template, though I just can't make 8 sets of life fit into a workout, so I've halved all of the accessory work. I don't need to put on pounds of meat, I just need to keep strong, get fit, and not get fatter. If someone looks at the work from today and thinks it needs more in certain areas, please call it out.

Squats

45x10

135x5

185x5

225x5

275x5

315x3x3S

Note: I plan on adding more sets here before I add sets to accessories.

Leg Press

270x8

360x8

450x8

540x8

Interleaved with:

KB swings

70lbsx8x4S

Sled Pulls - up and back each rep

Leg curls - Individual L/R

35x8

40x8

45x8

50x8

Leg Extensions

90x8

100x8

105x8

110x8

This took exactly as much time as I wanted. I will need to make up the cardio in walking the rest of the day.

Thanks. 8x8 is kind of crazy for someone not intending on competing in anything but life. If things turn around enough that I can add extra sets to my accessories, I'll do so. More than likely, I'll pick and choose the conditioning exercises-sled, KB swings, etc.-when that time comes.