Sign in to follow this  
STENDEC

You're Doing It Wrong

A new week means it’s arm day and arm day means supersets, copious amounts of curls and protein shakes. All is well in gym land then — or so you think. The general consensus amongst bodybuilding circles dictates that muscle development comes from focusing one’s attention on the muscle they’re trying to grow. In other words you mentally activate a particular muscle from lifting, thus endorsing its development.

A new study published in ‘Frontiers in Sports and Active Living’ suggests that this long-standing belief of bodybuilding isn’t the most effective method. When training encompasses muscle performance as well as muscle growth, these researchers believe that gym junkies need to instead focus on moving the weight itself rather than focusing on the muscle in order to lift heavier and longer.

Full Article with link to FFT of study

What I am getting from this is when lifting, I should be focused on thinking about how the weight is moving through space, where I expect the weight to go and not thinking about actually how to move it...which, if I am understanding this correctly, makes a ton of sense.

When an experienced soccer player kicks a ball, he's thinking about where he wants the ball to go, not the specific mechanics of kicking it, the angle of his foot, how hard to kick, etc...he just lets his brain do all of those calculations subconsciously  based on years of experience kicking the ball. 

I suspect from a neural recruitment perspective, the physics trumps the anatomical, but the anatomical is an important heuristic to work through in order to leverage the optimal physics solution.